border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-15, 09:15 PM   #31
psychocircus

Re: Sanji

great photos. love my rainbow. he's probably just a bit bigger than your guy in the recent photos.
Old 06-02-15, 09:27 PM   #32
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Your BRB is looking great BSG.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-05-15, 10:26 PM   #33
bigsnakegirl785

Thanks everyone!

I went and got him brand new bedding the other day, and when I took him out I found him going blue! I also weighed him and he came out at 93 grams, but I don't think that's accurate even though it was 7 days after he ate, as I only weighed him a week ago or so at 86 grams. I don't think he's put on 7 grams in that time. I'll re-weigh him once he sheds, since he won't be eating during this time and should be 100% empty.

Old 06-06-15, 01:59 AM   #34
Wingbeats

Sanji is sooo cute!
Old 06-15-15, 03:19 AM   #35
bigsnakegirl785

Just about everyone who went into shed has shed now, and Sanji shed about 6 days ago and ate 2 days later. So here's a few post-shed pics that I took.

He now weighs 87 grams empty, and is sitting right around the 2.5' mark.
Old 06-15-15, 01:31 PM   #36
Snakesitter

Gotta love the progress picts. Looking good!
Website, Facebook
Old 07-29-15, 09:09 PM   #37
bigsnakegirl785

Well Sanji officially hit 90 grams awhile ago, and he's due for another weighing once he poos, but he ate 2 days ago, so I doubt the 99 gram weight was accurate. :P I'd say he's closer to 93 grams or so empty.

His growth has picked up exponentially, and he's become markedly bigger in just a couple months, whereas before it would take him a month or two just to put on 3 grams and he didn't look any bigger. Either it's because he's getting bigger mice, or BRBs grow more during their second year like boa constrictors. Either way it's nice to finally be able to see some size getting on him.

He's also become a lot more alert the past few days. He's begun reacting to movement near his head, and has begun following my finger like the other young snakes and my garters do. Before, I could poke his head with not so much as a tongue flick, and he'd ignore my waving finger like it wasn't there. Not sure what was keeping him from being alert before, or what triggered this change but I guess it's a good thing? He's also become a lot more accurate with his striking! There's been no more helicopter impressions if he misses and he hits his target with precision each time now.

Old 07-30-15, 01:40 PM   #38
Snakesitter

Rainbows do indeed start growing more quickly as adolescents, about the time they hit small rats/500 grams or so. They should be pretty accurate though for striking almost from birth...as many of my fingers can attest. ;-)
Website, Facebook
Old 07-30-15, 01:47 PM   #39
Wingbeats

Cool, I didn't know some snakes grow more quickly after the first year. I figured they were like a lot of other animals and grew most quickly after birth.

Sanji is looking awesome - I can't wait until Chaska gets that big
Old 07-30-15, 04:21 PM   #40
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Rainbows do indeed start growing more quickly as adolescents, about the time they hit small rats/500 grams or so. They should be pretty accurate though for striking almost from birth...as many of my fingers can attest. ;-)
Yeah, I'm not sure why he missed so much either. :/ He had poor aim, and would miss all the time, especially if I held his prey still. For the past 2-3 months, though, he hasn't missed a single time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbeats View Post
Cool, I didn't know some snakes grow more quickly after the first year. I figured they were like a lot of other animals and grew most quickly after birth.

Sanji is looking awesome - I can't wait until Chaska gets that big
Yeah, Cloud certainly grew most during his second year! He was only about 2.5' at 1 year, but he reached 5.5' by his second year, and reached 6' flat on his 3rd birthday. He's now a few inches shy of 6.5' at 4 years old.
Old 08-21-15, 11:58 AM   #41
bigsnakegirl785

As of his last weighing a few days ago, Sanji weighs 100 grams! With this new growth spurt, he may actually be big enough to bump his prey size when I buy my next food shipment.

Now that he's a year old, I've moved him onto a 14-day schedule, and this next meal will be his first on the new feeding schedule.
Old 08-24-15, 02:09 PM   #42
Snakesitter

While I admire your caution, you can keep them on weekly for longer. He'll channel every scrap of a weekly meal into growth for at least the next six months.

I agree on moving prey sixe up a notch.

Congrats!
Website, Facebook
Old 08-24-15, 07:12 PM   #43
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
While I admire your caution, you can keep them on weekly for longer. He'll channel every scrap of a weekly meal into growth for at least the next six months.

I agree on moving prey sixe up a notch.

Congrats!
I was debating on waiting until he's 1.5 years old, but 1 year seems to be a common universal age to start 2 weeks on for most species. I may keep him on 10 days for another 6 months, though, depending. I'll see how many grams he puts on next month and determine from there. If his growth continues at about the same rate as the past 2-3 months or if the rate increases (if he puts on another 6-10+ grams per month) I'll just keep an eye on his weight and decide from there. If his rate decreases, I'll keep him on 7-10 days a bit longer.

Right now he's doing good on the size he's got now, but he should be able to move up to the largest of the hoppers I have fairly soon (which are currently more than 1.5x his girth), and then by the time he outgrows them I should be ready to buy the next rodent shipment. If not, I may buy some from the pet store to hold him over.
Old 08-26-15, 02:06 PM   #44
Snakesitter

Sounds like a good plan -- good luck, and keep us posted!
Website, Facebook
Old 09-01-15, 08:46 AM   #45
that1guy

I haven't been keeping up on this thread since my first post on here, but I just caught up and it was awesome watching him grow and following his progress. It is almost like having one of my own. Excellent, I enjoyed it.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread