border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-13, 11:54 PM   #1
tiffanyithink

Is she shedding too often?

I adopted Juliet in January from a guy who was selling her online. Shes's my first snake, actually my first reptile as well. She's a 4 year old Ball Python. I don't know if this matters but she's 4ft3.
Within a month of getting her, she shed her skin, it came off in pieces and I ended up giving her a bit of a soak (according to specific instructions) to get the remaining bits off. She was happy and looked great for about a month. March came and she stopped eating, then around the end of March, she shed again, this time with no problems and mostly in one piece. She continued to not eat which I understand is normal for snakes in the spring. I finally got her to eat on May 1st and took her out tonight for the first time since before she ate. Her skin is dull and her eyes are clouded over, obviously she's going to shed again and I know they're not supposed to shed this often.
I'm very attentive to her needs and I always ensure she has the ideal environment, or at least I thought I did. Am I doing something wrong? Is it too damp, or too dry? Too warm or too cold? Does it have anything to do with her not eating?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-06-13, 03:29 AM   #2
Starbuck

Re: Is she shedding too often?

we cant tell you if it's too damp/dry/cold/warm if you havnt told us just how damp/dry/warm/cold it is

Can you describe your set up? what is your heat source, and how do you measure temperature? how do you measure humidity?

my subadult kings shed about once/2 months.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 05-06-13, 04:30 AM   #3
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Well I am going to say it's too dry if the shed isn't coming off in one piece.
Old 05-06-13, 05:16 AM   #4
mykee
Super Genius

Yup; it's too dry by 12% humidity, too cool by 4.1 degrees and you should lower the enclosure about a foot, sounds like the elevation is messing with her too.
Old 05-06-13, 08:32 AM   #5
h3h

Lol Mykee - Your snake is shedding about every 2 months...It does sound a bit much for a 4 year old, but the answer you're looking for is: Snakes shed when they need to. Check your humidity if the snake is shedding in pieces. If you're not sure if your vivarium is set up correctly check Mykes site: Housing FAQs <---this will explain that everything Myke said is horse.

- h3
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, shed, shedding, shedding question