border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-13, 07:31 PM   #1
SnakeGirl94

Red face Brb! <3

Hey guys, getting a BRB within the next few months, i have been researching them like a nut, just to make sure i know everything i possibly need to since im new to snake keeping.
i have had my fair share of fish and rodents and i also have a dog so the basics with taking care of a pet are drilled into my brain lol
i know the humidty levels are very important and tempurature just the same
i have a few questions about tank setups though:
-are planted tanks generally suggested to keep up the humidity? (considering this as an option for deocartion and for the benefit of fresher air for my snake)
-if i were to buy a bag of mulch from, lets say, home depot.. would this harm my snake? i've heard they process the mulch with chemicals but i've also heard pet stores just say this so you're stuck paying 40 bucks a bag for wood chunks.
-last but not least, male or female? i know females tend to be bigger but do they have any difference in personality? im 90% sure i want a male but if i find a female that feels like the right snake i just want to know if there is much difference aside from their sizes.

Sorry for the novel, once again just want to be as prepared as i can be for my new little one! thanks guy!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-11-13, 09:05 PM   #2
Gravelanche
Banned

Re: Brb! <3

ok, well like i mentioned i just bought mine yesterday so i was recently where you were,

this is the tank i settled on, the substrate is a mix of repti-bark and sphagnum/fir peat moss for extra humidity, its heated with a heat mat under the hide you see there. i also put an extra layer of the moss under his hide so it's nice and humid there. The vine that is hanging is one of the wirey ones you can get at any pet store. its secured firmly but with slack so he cant get caught in there and he seems to love it, three times i have seen him perched in the top left like a high up hide.

the water dish is oversized to help with humidity and provide a comfy place to hide, and there is a light on top just for aesthetics. i spray it with a spray bottle in the morning and the evening and if the hide area looks dry i give it a little extra. the rest is just decoration though he has been spotted in the vine in the back right. o, not pictured here i do have a towel covering the top to hold in more humidity
Old 03-11-13, 09:55 PM   #3
SnakeGirl94

okay cool, maybe im wayyyyyyy over thinking this setup lol! just want the best for the snake but maybe im over doing it. i guess i will stick with what it needs and then get used to taking care of it before i introduce more things that could be problomatic for the little guy. how old is your snake btw
Old 03-11-13, 10:02 PM   #4
Gravelanche
Banned

he is about 6 months old i believe, and if im right the other one at scales and tails is his brother. it has also just come to my attention that we are both from peterborough. if you want you can come over and see him and his enclosure.
Old 03-11-13, 10:05 PM   #5
SnakeGirl94

yeahh that would be helpful, could see what im in for lol wouldnt mind seeing you colection of snakes either lol where abouts in peterborough are you
Login to remove ads
Old 03-11-13, 10:05 PM   #6
Gravelanche
Banned

on wolfe beside GE
Old 03-11-13, 10:10 PM   #7
SnakeGirl94

ohh okay i know where that is i think, im actually out in warsaw its about 20 mins from ptbo but if you wouldnt mind me stopping by at somepoint that would be cool
Old 03-13-13, 01:57 PM   #8
Snakesitter

Hi SnakeGirl, and welcome to the coolest species ever. ;-)

Live planted tanks will indeed help with humidity…but are a nightmare to maintain. For one, your snake will cheerfully redecorate as he/she sees fit. For two, most live plants require lots of light (which these snakes detest) and fertilizer (which introduces unwanted elements). Three, everything in your tanks should be something you can disinfect every now and then, which is problematic with live plants. That said, they do look cool, so if you’re willing to find the right species and put in the extra work…go for it.

I always buy substrate from garden supply stores. Most of them will either carry or can order an organic type. I avoid pet store product not so much because of the prices, but because I’ve heard far too many stories of snake mites hitchhiking into collections.

I see more differences between individual males and females than I do between the two genders. The only real difference is the size, where females tend to get about a foot longer. There is one exception, however: if you prefer an adult, it is easier to find a good-looking older male than a good-looking older female, as few breeders sell those.

Let me know if I can help further.

Again, welcome!
Website, Facebook
Old 03-13-13, 09:14 PM   #9
SnakeGirl94

thanks thats actually great info! im really thinking of getting a male just because i do want it to be on the smaller side. i will look around for organic substrate
Old 03-13-13, 10:38 PM   #10
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209

I wouldn't take Gravelanche's advice, he's not really on top of his husbandry and as you can see he's banned..
Login to remove ads
Old 03-15-13, 06:24 PM   #11
Kratos

Humidity humidity humidity is key and cleaning any mold build up once you see it. Try not to use a heat lamp, that will make your humidity drop faster than u can get it up. Instead use a radiant heat panel if u can. If not use a under tank heater but must be hooked up to a thermistate just like any other heat source. But a heat lamp will work if that all u can go with. Brb dont rally need light but I still supply him with some uv light on a timer to give him the sense of night and day.

The list goes on but you will learn as you go along .

One thing I must say do not use cork type products, mold and small bugs start living in them. I have had that issue so use plastic stuff also products that have a hole big enough for you snake to get stuck in stay away. And those half log hides I will not use aswell cuz of the humidity unless you seal it with some type of safe product.
Old 03-15-13, 06:28 PM   #12
Kratos

Also I forgot to mention. Use a repti foger. Keeps humidity to where u set it and dont need to worry about spaying mist to keep humidity up. I have had one for a year now and works great. Just be sure to use distilled water so it last a long time, use tap water or drinking water and it will stop working after Few months.
Old 03-18-13, 03:33 PM   #13
SnakeGirl94

okay thank you all so much!
Old 03-19-13, 09:51 AM   #14
bcr226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey209 View Post
I wouldn't take Gravelanche's advice, he's not really on top of his husbandry and as you can see he's banned..
Just curious, why was he banned?

Look for me on FB... www.facebook.com/michael.meador.33
Old 03-19-13, 01:11 PM   #15
jarich

Ideally a planted tank and a misting system like Mistking or Rainmaker is best. The reptifoggers and humidifiers are ok, but they breakdown quite easily and are a pain in the butt to have to refill all the time.

Cliff, Im surprised you would say that about planted enclosures. I know that you are a breeder so I suppose that with so many enclosures it might be different, but I have never had any difficulty with my planted/soil substrate enclosures. Live plants and a soil substrate both look great and are the best option for keeping the air and enclosure clean. Bioactive enclosures are much easier to take care of in my experience. Why would you ever need to sterilize live plants? Also, there are many plants that only require low light and so thrive well in a normally lighted enclosure, and its not difficult to provide brighter lights for those that need it with the LEDs available now.
Closed Thread

Tags
boa care, brazilian rainbow boa, brb