border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-13, 06:13 PM   #1
ilovemypets1988

Send a message via MSN to ilovemypets1988 Send a message via Yahoo to ilovemypets1988
the beardies im getting on the 6th march

here we are guys, pics of the dragons im acquiring on the 6th march:

hope you all enjoyed
There are many things in life that we all take for granted, But the most important things that we affect are the animals and their habitats of this planet. If we can do something for these animals like give them a home and we can meet there basic needs then we are all heroes for making sure that the animals will still be there for future generations and should lead by example.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-21-13, 06:18 PM   #2
Ms. Medusa

Re: the beardies im getting on the 6th march

Wow--- seems like you will have a full house with them! Lol Too cute! Beardies are so cute!
Old 02-21-13, 06:20 PM   #3
ilovemypets1988

Send a message via MSN to ilovemypets1988 Send a message via Yahoo to ilovemypets1988

lol yep, im getting the 2 babies (1 with a kink but im taking that on as a favour) and 2 adult males
There are many things in life that we all take for granted, But the most important things that we affect are the animals and their habitats of this planet. If we can do something for these animals like give them a home and we can meet there basic needs then we are all heroes for making sure that the animals will still be there for future generations and should lead by example.
Old 02-21-13, 10:45 PM   #4
beardeds4life

I hope you have 4 different enclosures setup and ready....

Anyway I especially like the first adult you showed.
Old 02-22-13, 11:21 AM   #5
ilovemypets1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
I hope you have 4 different enclosures setup and ready....

Anyway I especially like the first adult you showed.
no i got 3 coming tonight, the babies will be in together for about a month (they hatched 12th jan), yh hes gawjus although i really dont know what morph he is though
Login to remove ads
Old 02-22-13, 11:30 AM   #6
Valvaren

Those babies already look like they've had enough time together already, both look to be missing at least half their tail. It's saddening to know they'll have to continue to deal with that for a month.

I'd also like a shot of the second adult when you get him, I can see signs of possible MBD.
Old 02-22-13, 11:36 AM   #7
ilovemypets1988

the pics were taken when they were a week old so the tails still hadnt developed my guess is, i aint sure, the 2 adults are coming as rescues so i really aint sure tbh, ill take better pics when ive got them
Old 02-22-13, 11:50 AM   #8
Valvaren

Uh no, their tails were bitten off, the tails don't have to develop, beardies are notorious for biting off toes, and tails and faces of clutch mates, even known to kill. Good luck.
Old 02-23-13, 09:32 AM   #9
beardeds4life

After looking back at the the pictures I agree Valvaren that he could have MBD. I also agree that they should be separated ASAP. I think that you should do some more research before you get them because any reliable source would mention tail nips. Furthermore if the breeder/owner didn't tell you that the had nipped tails that seems like a dishonest person. That is something that is standard to inform the buyer and they should have been marked down by probably 25-50 dollars per baby because of that. I would not put it past this guy to sell you a dragon with MBD too. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them? You might have just gotten ripped off. If you need some links to good care sheets I am sure Valvaren and myself could give you some links.

I also would like to know how your habitats are setup. Just to make sure. I really hope you are up to the cost of feeding the two little ones especially. I would say it will cost you at least 100 to 150 a month. That is because I spent at least 50 a month when mine was growing up and I found that a lot of people spent the same if not more.
Old 02-23-13, 09:40 AM   #10
ilovemypets1988

the 2 adults are costing me £25 each and the babies are £10 each (£25 = $38 and £10 = $15).

as for the habitat, il building a 6 x 7 foot viv which will be sectiones off into 3 3fters and 3 4fters and there will be a custom made habitat in each 1 using plastoparis (i think thats what its called) that will be painted and have sand stuck on it to help with the filing down with the nails

once completed ill post pics of the end result
Login to remove ads
Old 02-23-13, 09:43 AM   #11
beardeds4life

Ok that is good that you did not get ripped off in terms of price. They could still have sent you MBD dragons. I also think that it might be a better use of space if you built 4 stacking cages that were each 4 foot by 2 foot.
Old 02-23-13, 09:47 AM   #12
ilovemypets1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
Ok that is good that you did not get ripped off in terms of price. They could still have sent you MBD dragons. I also think that it might be a better use of space if you built 4 stacking cages that were each 4 foot by 2 foot.
i can only have a 3 high stack at the very most, hence the idea with the 7 x 6 thing, if i could i would have tons of vivs but im working with a very small room thats 10ft long x 3ft 7" wide and its right next to my sons room so 6ft is the maximum height i can go to.

but for reference purposes as its not mine, ill be building a habitat similar to this:
Old 02-23-13, 09:57 AM   #13
Valvaren

Your lucky you only spent 50 a month on your baby, when I got my girl I was spending 30 a week without veggies and I still wasn't feeding her till she was full every meal, it was all I could afford at the time.
Old 02-23-13, 10:02 AM   #14
ilovemypets1988

ill be breeding roaches for them eventually so live feed (hopefully) wont be too bad tbh and i have a 16 month son who loves fruit and veg as i do, so those wont be either as we have them in the house anyway
Old 02-23-13, 04:40 PM   #15
beardeds4life

I hope you know it takes about 8 months to get a good roach colony setup that you can feed out of. And it costs a couple hundred dollars to get a decent amount of roaches that will support 4 dragons in only 8 months. What Valvaren was paying is more about average. The only way I was able to keep my costs so low was because a huge online supply store's store front is close to me. They have great prices. That is extremely rare though. I really do not think you know what you got yourself into. If you did you wouldn't have bought 4 dragons at a time. It will be a huge adjustment because all those cages will need cleaned at least spot cleaned daily. For all 4 dragons spot cleaning will probably take at least half an hour. Then you have to prepare salads every couple days which takes about 20 to 30 minutes to make a couple days worth because, if you give them a good diet, there will be lots of chopping. Then every dragon will need a 20 minute bath every week. I haven't even got to the worst of it. Your electricity bill will skyrocket. I bought a small device that you plug into the wall then you plug the cord into that. It told me how much electricity I used each day, week, and month then I used that to figure out how much it cost me. For my one dragon enclosure it cost me 25 dollars a month in electricity. Times that by 4 for your case.

I do not want to scare you away because these are awesome animals but I want you to be prepared because I would hate to see you have to rehome some of them.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread