sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-13, 12:13 PM   #1
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Bearded dragon venom, illegal collection from wild

Bearded dragons produce a mild venom, & all in the pet trade may have originated as illegally-collected animals! Bearded Dragon Species Profile
Login to remove ads
Old 02-08-13, 01:56 PM   #2
murrindindi

Re: Bearded dragon venom, illegal collection from wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzoofrank View Post
Bearded dragons produce a mild venom, & all in the pet trade may have originated as illegally-collected animals! Bearded Dragon Species Profile

Hi, I agree with some of the careguide, though there are some things that need clarification, and I hope you can do that (specifically the basking spot temps and enclosure size).
You don`t say whether the basking spot temp @ 100 to 120f is surface or ambient, neither do you suggest a minimum ambient temp which is vital, as they must be able to cool down at times.
You advise the hatchlings can be housed in a 10 gallon tank, in my opinion it would be quite difficult to achieve a suitable temp gradient in something so small.
It`s also stated that they are not related to Beaded and Varanid lizards when in fact the Iguanids (Agamidae) are quite closely related.
Old 02-08-13, 03:10 PM   #3
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Hello,

Air temps of 100-120 F below basking site work well. Ambient at 82-85; If enclosure is large enough, cooler areas (to 75 or so) may be established; night temps into the 60's are used successfully by some, but not required. A 20 gal or larger tank would be ideal for hatchlings, but many are successfully raised in smaller quarters; basking temps of 95F are commonly used.

All lizards are of course to some degree related, thanks for noticing that; the 3 families mentioned are grouped within a single order; "close" is relative, as the major lizard families appeared to have diverged many millions of years ago (Triassic-Jurrasic) This abstract and some of the articles cited therein can provide you with a better understanding of the timelines etc. than can I.

Best, Frank
Old 02-08-13, 04:26 PM   #4
murrindindi

Hi again, thanks for the clarification. I think that if the ambient (air) temps are up to 120f the small size of a 10 or 20 gallon tank will mean there would be no sufficiently cool areas, therefore the possibily of overheating could cause serious problems.
In my opinion only two temps are important, whatever the size of enclosure; (daytime) the coolest ambient @ approx 24c (75f) then the surface temp at the basking site @ between 40 to 45c+ (100 to 110f+). That range would allow the dragon to function optimally. During the nighttime I personally wouldn`t go below 19c (68f), though they experience lower in the wild.
As far as the relationships of the different familes are concerned, it matters not how long ago they diverged, the Iguanids are now thought to be closely related to the Varanids and Heloderms (plus snakes).
Old 02-08-13, 04:33 PM   #5
bronxzoofrank
Retired

I'm not a taxonomist,..."what matters" is quite a complicated subject as far as I know; Someone at the herpetology dept. at the Am Museum of Nat History should be able to help you with any questions or comment more appropriately on your opinions.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-08-13, 04:36 PM   #6
Pirarucu

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi again, thanks for the clarification. I think that if the ambient (air) temps are up to 120f the small size of a 10 or 20 gallon tank will mean there would be no sufficiently cool areas, therefore the possibily of overheating could cause serious problems.
In my opinion only two temps are important, whatever the size of enclosure; (daytime) the coolest ambient @ approx 24c (75f) then the surface temp at the basking site @ between 40 to 45c+ (100 to 110f+). That range would allow the dragon to function optimally. During the nighttime I personally wouldn`t go below 19c (68f), though they experience lower in the wild.
As far as the relationships of the different familes are concerned, it matters not how long ago they diverged, the Iguanids are now thought to be closely related to the Varanids and Heloderms (plus snakes).
Just to add, I know of beardies being kept with and utilizing Varanid temperatures.
Old 02-08-13, 04:50 PM   #7
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirarucu View Post
Just to add, I know of beardies being kept with and utilizing Varanid temperatures.

Hi, so do I, they seem to work quite well, but not in 10 gallon fish tanks!
Old 02-08-13, 04:54 PM   #8
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit

Quote:
Nothing that is a reptile belongs in a 10 gallon fish tank. 10 gallon fish tanks are for fish... and not many at that.
Old 02-08-13, 04:56 PM   #9
murrindindi

Quote:
I'm not a taxonomist,..."what matters" is quite a complicated subject as far as I know; Someone at the herpetology dept. at the Am Museum of Nat History should be able to help you with any questions or comment more appropriately on your opinions.

My "opinions" are based on recent research and the published results.
I most respectfully suggest you contact them and update the information in your caresheet.
Old 02-08-13, 05:08 PM   #10
Pirarucu

Quote:
Nothing works well in 10 gallon fish tanks. LOL.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-08-13, 05:44 PM   #11
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
I most respectfully suggest you contact them and update the information in your caresheet.
Again, "related", "closely related etc" are not matters that I can debate without expert opinion, which I am not about to solicit at this point..apologies if you are such an expert. No need to forward anything further re taxonomy, thank you, I have access to appropriate people if needed.

Last edited by infernalis; 02-08-13 at 06:03 PM..
Old 02-08-13, 06:11 PM   #12
infernalis

Quote:
I have access to appropriate people if needed.
Frank, Why must you (seem as if) you assume that this forum is populated by people who do no research?

"Access to appropriate people sounds" rather condescending to me, we have many very well educated people here, Professors, biologists, zoologists and accredited scientists, That comment gives the feel that the members of this community are somehow below you and not worthy of an opinion if it does not fall in line with your own.

If you are going to stubbornly refuse to accept criticisms, I would respectfully ask that you seek publicity for your blogs elsewhere.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 02-08-13, 06:20 PM   #13
murrindindi

[QUOTE=bronxzoofrank;815783]
Quote:
I most respectfully suggest you contact them and update the information in your caresheet.[/QUOT

Again, "related", "closely related etc" are not matters that I can debate without expert opinion, which I am not about to solicit at this point..apologies if you are such an expert. No need to forward anything further re taxonomy, thank you, I have access to appropriate people if needed.

We don`t appear to be getting anywhere fast, and I`m getting the impresssion you have no intention of changing the info you offer in the careguide which is a great shame, because it needs clarifying (unless I`m misunderstanding your responses)?
Learning is about questions that can be answered, not answers that can`t be questioned. As more information becomes available husbandry methods change, the improvements are there for all to see. The results are in, you just need to look!

Last edited by murrindindi; 02-08-13 at 06:25 PM..
Old 02-08-13, 06:30 PM   #14
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
Frank, Why must you (seem as if) you assume that this forum is populated by people who do no research?

"Access to appropriate people sounds" rather condescending to me, we have many very well educated people here, Professors, biologists, zoologists and accredited scientists, That comment gives the feel that the members of this community are somehow below you and not worthy of an opinion if it does not fall in line with your own.

If you are going to stubbornly refuse to accept criticisms, I would respectfully ask that you seek publicity for your blogs elsewhere.
I do have access to such people, and suggested a source to poster, who did not mention his/her affiliations or whether he/she had such people to contact. I stated that I was not an expert in taxonomy, and, judging from the posted comments, did not imagine that the poster was either, but apologized in advance if s/he was. I've no desire to deal with the defensiveness shown here, i.e. -assuming above to be condescending, the nasty tone of many comments, and especially the quick and frequent resorting of some to personal characterizations (i.e. stubborn) (something I've not encountered elsewhere). You can leave or delete posts as you or whomever sees fit.
Old 02-08-13, 06:39 PM   #15
infernalis

Citation of sources is standard practices Frank, care to cite your sources?

It seems a pity that peer reviewing is not accepted, or at least challenged seemingly every time rather than accepted with grace.

As you may or may not be aware, I publish care guides myself, and when my peers find an error or misconception, omission or even a grammatical error, I accept said criticisms, and make changes as needed.

I have been following your posting on here closely, and I get the feel that you (apparently) are unwilling to accept such criticisms without aggressive rebuttal, Such rebuttal would be solidified by citation of sources.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
bearded dragon habits, venom