border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-12, 02:08 PM   #1
samps79

New with questions about breeding boas

Hi. I am new to the forum so hello to you all! I have two snakes, a ball python that's only about 18inchs and a boa of just under three feet. I also keep ducks and chickens as well as a cat and dog. I got both snakes in September's this year so they are only young still. I posted earlier but for some reason this has not come up.

My good friend has two big burms so am used to bigger snakes husbandry requirements, but I am after some advice about future breeding of my boa. Neither of us has any experience of breeding. My boa (Brian) is a pastel 66% het pink panther and wondered what morph of boa would be best to breed him with for the best offspring. I know he is a long time off breeding but was looking at getting another snake in the near future so thought about a female boa, which led me to think of this.

This is not something that I am going to rush into, bit am seriously considering. I have the room, time and means to pursue this so any advice would be great.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-17-12, 02:25 PM   #2
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Re: New with questions about breeding boas

Well I would purchase a female visual pink panther. That way you can prove out the males het or not. Also if your male is three feet long he will breed next season.
Old 12-17-12, 02:30 PM   #3
samps79

I thought that he would have to be 3 or so before he could bread? Does het mean his non visible gene trait? I bought him as he looks gorgeous and after he has shed has pink down the side of his lower jaw and a lovely shimmer in his scales. I have photos but they don't do him justice.
Old 12-17-12, 03:14 PM   #4
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by samps79 View Post
I thought that he would have to be 3 or so before he could bread? Does het mean his non visible gene trait? I bought him as he looks gorgeous and after he has shed has pink down the side of his lower jaw and a lovely shimmer in his scales. I have photos but they don't do him justice.
A male can breed between 18-24 months. A female should wait til she is three.

Het means it is carrying a recessive gene but it isn't visual. He is only 66% het pink panther so both parents are hets. So yours isn't a guaranteed het.
Old 12-17-12, 03:48 PM   #5
samps79

I get you. Thanks for that. That makes sense.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-17-12, 04:06 PM   #6
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by samps79 View Post
I get you. Thanks for that. That makes sense.
Contrary to popular belief I do make sense occasionally.

Any other questions just fire away.
Old 12-19-12, 03:07 PM   #7
samps79

If I can see a pink blush down the side of his face and flank, does this make him a 100%?Could the dealer have got it wrong? His sides definitely have a blush, that is noticeable against his caramel coloured body. He also has brown square saddles as opposed to the more normal kind. When I move him in the light his scales have an iridescent shimmer to them. I'm thinking of taking him back so that the guy in the shop can look again. To be honest, I'm not that bothered if I was just going to have him, as to me he is perfect and could not be happier. It's only as I'm thinking about getting a female to breed with him that I am so curious.
Old 12-19-12, 03:30 PM   #8
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

There are very few boa morph hets that can be visually identified.
Old 12-19-12, 04:08 PM   #9
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

A lot of normal boa's show pink down the sides, this doesn't mean he's a 100%... You have a 2 in 3 chance of him being a het. I've never seen/heard of a pink panther bci tho, I'll have to look it up lol
Old 12-19-12, 05:24 PM   #10
samps79

Any info you can share will be great. It may just be me, but have tried searching and I am not getting the info I'm after. That's one of the reasons I came to the forum.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-19-12, 11:31 PM   #11
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

It's a line bred pastel visual vpi t+ albino.
Old 12-20-12, 01:39 AM   #12
samps79

Thanks for being so helpful. Can you explain that though. I'm such a noob to understanding all the terminology. I have heard the terms but making sense of them is where I get lost. Although I do understand het now.
Old 12-20-12, 03:51 AM   #13
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Okay. Vpi is a breeder. They were the first to breed out t+ albinos ( t+ means tyrosinase positive) which are a caramel color.

A pastel is a line bred color trait.

In the pink panther it is a pastel t+ albino....... I think.

I will have to double check later.
Old 12-20-12, 06:02 PM   #14
samps79

Thanks for your help on this.
Old 01-02-13, 02:43 PM   #15
Jendee

ya korbin is right lol he does make sense lol

a lot of people think pink panther vpis is a different morph..its not..its the pastel line of vpi t positive and good selective breeding. which is probably why your boa is so pink not bc he definitely carries the vpi trait but bc of the pastel infused in his genetics. a lot of hets aren't at all identifiable but some people do think they have the eye..some are dead winners some you have no freakin clue until you breed them. Ive been pretty successful at picking hets out for bwc, vpis and leopards as far as that goes its a guessing game its usually best to get 100% het or a visual
and bc he is 66% you need to prove him out with a visual or a 100% het...but if I were you I would find a visual. which will run you 1-2k. if your looking to breed sooner you'd need an adult which will take you easily to 4 k lol you've "started" your breeding adventures with one of the most expensive lines out there lol whoed you get him from id love to see pictures??
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa breeding