sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-12, 06:16 PM   #1
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Close Call with a King Cobra

I had a close call when a King Cobra escaped at the airport, during my zoo-keeping years; Enjoy, Frank A Close Call with a King Cobra, Ophiophagus hannah | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
Login to remove ads
Old 12-02-12, 06:46 PM   #2
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87
Re: Close Call with a King Cobra

Wonderful and amusing read thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-12, 07:41 PM   #3
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
Wonderful and amusing read thanks for sharing!
I appreciate your kind words, thank you very much! Best, Frank
Old 12-02-12, 07:53 PM   #4
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

It's really cool to have someone of your caliber on the site for feedback and information especially pertaining to the ways we keep animals in our own collections and the types of materials we use to ensure longevity and health with individual species.
Old 12-02-12, 08:11 PM   #5
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
It's really cool to have someone of your caliber on the site for feedback and information especially pertaining to the ways we keep animals in our own collections and the types of materials we use to ensure longevity and health with individual species.
Much appreciated...glad to be here and I'm sure I'll learn much as well. I'll post care articles from time to time; please let me know if you have any specific interests and I'll send links. I'll stay on top of threads where I've posted, but can't often over too many others, so pl feel free to send me a note re any interesting ones if you have time, best, Frank
Login to remove ads
Old 12-03-12, 06:28 PM   #6
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
I second this. I have be reading though your blog and i love it.
Old 12-03-12, 07:59 PM   #7
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Great to hear, thank you very much! Best, Frank
Old 12-03-12, 11:38 PM   #8
beardeds4life

Quote:
It is. Especially to compare the ways we keep our animals versus how the zoo does it.
Old 12-04-12, 04:04 PM   #9
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
It is. Especially to compare the ways we keep our animals versus how the zoo does it.
Thanks very much; I'll include references to zoo practices when possible. Please let me know if you have any specific interests, Best, Frank
Old 12-04-12, 05:56 PM   #10
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeds4life View Post
Some of the same failures that happen in private collections also occur at zoos.

We are all learning new things every day...

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 12-04-12, 10:02 PM   #11
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
Some of the same failures that happen in private collections also occur at zoos.

We are all learning new things every day...
Most good zoo people start out by keeping, observing and collecting animals, as did I; here's an article that touches on some of the contributions private hobbyists make to the field Reptile Hobbyists - Helping or Hindering Reptile and Amphibian Conservation? That Reptile Blog Best, Frank
Old 12-05-12, 10:45 AM   #12
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Great read, Frank. I think a lot of people mistakenly call certain species (cobras for one) "aggressive" when they are just responding to a situation we've put them in where they have no hope of escape. When a snake cannot retreat, it's only other option is to defend itself. I've never really worked with king cobras- my mentor has one that backed me into a corner the first time I was over there and still intimidates me - but they are one of my favorite species. They are so majestic and intelligent....such beautiful creatures.
Old 12-05-12, 11:06 AM   #13
millertime89
Forum Moderator

You've got some great stories. Thanks for sharing them and please keep them coming.
Old 12-05-12, 11:06 AM   #14
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
Great read, Frank. I think a lot of people mistakenly call certain species (cobras for one) "aggressive" when they are just responding to a situation we've put them in where they have no hope of escape. When a snake cannot retreat, it's only other option is to defend itself. I've never really worked with king cobras- my mentor has one that backed me into a corner the first time I was over there and still intimidates me - but they are one of my favorite species. They are so majestic and intelligent....such beautiful creatures.
Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. "aggressive', etc. can be misleading but also useful among people who work with snakes (keeping in mind that individuals in all species vary). For example, when disturbed, some species are likely to bite, some to flee, others to curl up and hide, etc. The species natural history - what works best in nature - as a great effect on this.

As an aside - PLEASE do not out yourself into situations where a cobra is backing you into a corner! I've responded to a great many snakebite emergencies over the years, involving both professionals and hobbyists, and have many sad stories...

Best, Frank
Old 12-05-12, 11:06 AM   #15
Zoo Nanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzoofrank View Post
Most good zoo people start out by keeping, observing and collecting animals, as did I; here's an article that touches on some of the contributions private hobbyists make to the field Reptile Hobbyists - Helping or Hindering Reptile and Amphibian Conservation? That Reptile Blog Best, Frank
Frank good article. I worked with Lou when they first started helping with the Karna Blue Butterfly. A bunch of the keepers and volunteers drove up to NH to an airport there to collect the lupine seeds. Lou is an excellent example of hobbyist turned professional. Most of the inverts and herps there are kept according to the systems Lou had set up for his own animals at home.
Closed Thread

Tags
cobra escape, king cobra