border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-12, 07:41 PM   #1
Nobodyspecial

First Boa, what species to get?

So I've taken a fancy to Boa's, and even after researching I'm still not sure what type I'd like to get. I would really like to buy one that at gets at least 6+ feet long, but not so big that it has to eat rabbits. (My best friend swore she'd beat me if I ever got a snake that eats rabbits, So I'd rather avoid that, and my research has pointed out that there's really not a better option for prey for larger snakes.) I know that really kinda kills my options, but I'm hoping you guys can point out something I've missed? I really don't know what size a snake needs to be before rats can no longer feed it.

I've found that I really like hogs, and they're currently on the top on my list. But do you guys have any other recommendations possibly?
1.1 pastel BP, 0.2 normal BP, 0.1 Albino BP. 1.0 Boa, 1.1 Black labs, 0.1 Springer spaniel, 1.0 golden retriever mutt, 0.1 cocker spaniel mutt, and 2.0.8 fish, of varying species. I love my babies. <3
Login to remove ads
Old 09-24-12, 09:59 PM   #2
Ridge Runner_20

Re: First Boa, what species to get?

Yes, I'm biased, but I think a Hog Island would be an excellent choice. I love their coloration (the variation from night to day is amazing), size (typically 4'-5' for males and 4'-6' for females), and temperment seems very good in all the examples I've encountered. Ours is a joy to keep, very sweet and calm, but curious as well. She also eats like a horse! Do your research and due diligence, find a reputable breeder and enjoy! Good luck with your search!

RR_20 (Mike)
Old 09-24-12, 10:28 PM   #3
rmfsnakes32

I am partial to central americans or columbian red tails both have beautiful colorations and good temperments. Hope you find a new scaley friend that fits
Old 09-24-12, 11:32 PM   #4
promdom

I recently picked up a female hypo BCI so that makes me a little biased, but maybe look at a male BCI morph? theres a large variety of colours and males tend to stay slimmer and shorter than females. I love the hypo colour but albinos look really good as well. A female dumerils might suit you as well but i don't know too much about those. I think the females get 5-7 feet. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 046.jpg (24.9 KB, 130 views)
Old 09-25-12, 04:22 AM   #5
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

A 6' boa can eat a rabbit.
I personaly would look for an unwanted snake in my local classifieds or kijiji or whatever. I have even seen a hog island on my local kijiji. Worth a look to rehome one if you can. If you must get one specific kind get it from a breeder not a pet store.
Old 09-25-12, 01:49 PM   #6
Nobodyspecial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
A 6' boa can eat a rabbit.
I personaly would look for an unwanted snake in my local classifieds or kijiji or whatever. I have even seen a hog island on my local kijiji. Worth a look to rehome one if you can. If you must get one specific kind get it from a breeder not a pet store.
Of course, I wasn't even considering going to a petstore. But unfortunately there's very few reptile rescues in the area, other wise I would happily go that route if I found the right animal. (I'll still be looking through the ones we do have mind you.)

And I know a 6 foot boa can eat a rabbit, I was just curious as to what size boas or snakes in general need to be before a colossal rat or what ever doesn't suffice as a meal. haha.

So Hogs are still on top of the list, but I'll look into some Male BCI's and Dumerils as well? Any one know which are fairly even tempered as well? Sounds like hogs are, but what of the others?
1.1 pastel BP, 0.2 normal BP, 0.1 Albino BP. 1.0 Boa, 1.1 Black labs, 0.1 Springer spaniel, 1.0 golden retriever mutt, 0.1 cocker spaniel mutt, and 2.0.8 fish, of varying species. I love my babies. <3
Old 09-25-12, 01:54 PM   #7
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyspecial View Post
Of course, I wasn't even considering going to a petstore. But unfortunately there's very few reptile rescues in the area, other wise I would happily go that route if I found the right animal. (I'll still be looking through the ones we do have mind you.)

And I know a 6 foot boa can eat a rabbit, I was just curious as to what size boas or snakes in general need to be before a colossal rat or what ever doesn't suffice as a meal. haha.

So Hogs are still on top of the list, but I'll look into some Male BCI's and Dumerils as well? Any one know which are fairly even tempered as well? Sounds like hogs are, but what of the others?
Hogs can be temperamental. You're better off starting with a male BCI. I'm gonna send you a pm.
Old 09-25-12, 11:08 PM   #8
Ridge Runner_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
Hogs can be temperamental. You're better off starting with a male BCI. I'm gonna send you a pm.
Do you have extensive experience with Hog Islands? That's a VERY generalized statement, and I would argue completely untrue for the dozen or so Hog Islands I've encountered. ANY snake can be tempermental, but I would say Hogs are no more or less so than any mainland BCI. And as I'm sure you're aware, a Hog Island is also a BCI, albeit of the insular variety.

Here's some good reading for the OP:

Rio Bravo Reptiles: Island Boas

Locality & Color Morph Boa constrictors & selectively Bred Ball Pythons Color & Pattern Morphs, Cutting Edge Herpetological Inc. Island & Cay Boas

RR_20 (Mike)
Old 09-26-12, 05:36 AM   #9
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner_20 View Post
Do you have extensive experience with Hog Islands? That's a VERY generalized statement, and I would argue completely untrue for the dozen or so Hog Islands I've encountered. ANY snake can be tempermental, but I would say Hogs are no more or less so than any mainland BCI. And as I'm sure you're aware, a Hog Island is also a BCI, albeit of the insular variety.

Here's some good reading for the OP:

Rio Bravo Reptiles: Island Boas

Locality & Color Morph Boa constrictors & selectively Bred Ball Pythons Color & Pattern Morphs, Cutting Edge Herpetological Inc. Island & Cay Boas

RR_20 (Mike)
Amazing how you invalidated your whole argument with one word.

I didn't say "NOOOOO HOGGY WILL BITEZ U... GET COLOMBIAN!" Did I? Ever think that maybe Hogg Islands just like you a lot? There are plenty of people around who can attest to Hoggs being temperamental and unpredictable. In my extensive experience going from such laid back snakes as ball pythons to one that's likely to tag you from time to time could be a turn off. I thought the OP should be aware.
Old 09-26-12, 06:14 AM   #10
Kettennatter

I would agree with a male BCI from the local classifieds, reptile show, rescues and such. Generally docile and because 6ft of a thick-bodied snake is too much for some people, they can be picked up for next to nothing pre-loved.
0.2.3 Corn (2 normal/1 anery/1 anery motley/1 snow) / 0.0.1 KSB / 1.0 Yuma King / 1.0 Durango Mountain King / 0.1 BCI / 1.1 Oregon Garter / 1.0 Everglade Rat Snake / 1.0 Coastal Carpet / 0.1 Bull Snake
Login to remove ads
Old 09-26-12, 08:06 AM   #11
Ridge Runner_20

Quote:
Amazing how you invalidated your whole argument with one word.

I didn't say "NOOOOO HOGGY WILL BITEZ U... GET COLOMBIAN!" Did I? Ever think that maybe Hogg Islands just like you a lot? There are plenty of people around who can attest to Hoggs being temperamental and unpredictable. In my extensive experience going from such laid back snakes as ball pythons to one that's likely to tag you from time to time could be a turn off. I thought the OP should be aware.
Question asked, answer avoided, as expected. Directly from Gus Rentfro's Rio Bravo website, who's been producing Hogs for many, many years, "These boas are considered among the more docile of the Central American boas and are well adapted to captive conditions.", and then from Vin Russo of Cutting Edge Herps, "Hog Island Boas are one the most beautiful Island Morph boas that are readily available and make wonderful Pets with excellent dispositions." Like I said, no more or less tempermental than ANY other BCI. You GENERALIZED that Hogs were an inherently tempermental lot. I disagree, and have given evidence to the contrary from people who would know. 'Nuff said.

I wish the OP the best of luck in finding his ideal animal.

RR_20 (Mike)
Old 09-26-12, 08:45 AM   #12
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner_20 View Post
Question asked, answer avoided, as expected. Directly from Gus Rentfro's Rio Bravo website, who's been producing Hogs for many, many years, "These boas are considered among the more docile of the Central American boas and are well adapted to captive conditions.", and then from Vin Russo of Cutting Edge Herps, "Hog Island Boas are one the most beautiful Island Morph boas that are readily available and make wonderful Pets with excellent dispositions." Like I said, no more or less tempermental than ANY other BCI. You GENERALIZED that Hogs were an inherently tempermental lot. I disagree, and have given evidence to the contrary from people who would know. 'Nuff said.

I wish the OP the best of luck in finding his ideal animal.

RR_20 (Mike)

Boom Headshot! I guess you win.

I'm not in any way trying to discourage the OP from buying a hog island. Just putting in my own personal experience and what I know of a few others. Why so defensive Bronie, you got a hog island you want to sell or something?
Old 09-26-12, 10:49 AM   #13
Nobodyspecial

Sorry for the delayed response here work and all that fun stuff haha. And actually its good to hear differing opinions on the hogs, because not all snakes are the same personality wise. I guess its good to know that there is a chance that I may get a fairly bad tempered one, because its clearly not unheard of. Then again I run that chance with any other snake as well but it just emphasizes the point of being picky with the particular animal I end up choosing. While I've been tagged by one of my balls, he doesn't strike often, so getting one that's gonna strike at me every time I open its enclosure would be kind of a let down.

I would get a pre-loved boa but I do need to get a very young snake for now. (Wouldn't be opposed to getting a few pre-loved snakes once I get my own place however ) My dad's girlfriend is still wary of my snakes and suddenly bringing home a 6-7 foot boa would probably be too much for her. Shes been doing well with the balls since two of them are fairly small still, and the third is only around 4 feet long. We all figure as long as the snake grows up around her she'll be alright with it. Not that I'll still be living with them by the time it gets big anyways.
Old 09-26-12, 10:53 AM   #14
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyspecial View Post
Sorry for the delayed response here work and all that fun stuff haha. And actually its good to hear differing opinions on the hogs, because not all snakes are the same personality wise. I guess its good to know that there is a chance that I may get a fairly bad tempered one, because its clearly not unheard of. Then again I run that chance with any other snake as well but it just emphasizes the point of being picky with the particular animal I end up choosing. While I've been tagged by one of my balls, he doesn't strike often, so getting one that's gonna strike at me every time I open its enclosure would be kind of a let down.

I would get a pre-loved boa but I do need to get a very young snake for now. (Wouldn't be opposed to getting a few pre-loved snakes once I get my own place however ) My dad's girlfriend is still wary of my snakes and suddenly bringing home a 6-7 foot boa would probably be too much for her. Shes been doing well with the balls since two of them are fairly small still, and the third is only around 4 feet long. We all figure as long as the snake grows up around her she'll be alright with it. Not that I'll still be living with them by the time it gets big anyways.
Neonates Boas are absolutely adorable, she won't be able to help but like it a little
Old 09-26-12, 11:33 AM   #15
Kettennatter

Quote:
Neonates Boas are absolutely adorable, she won't be able to help but like it a little
That's true, very hard to resist. Even though, I'm normally in favor of showing the "final product", so that there are no unpleasant surprises down the road. Getting your dad's girlfriend to hold any snake would be a big step forward, IMHO.
0.2.3 Corn (2 normal/1 anery/1 anery motley/1 snow) / 0.0.1 KSB / 1.0 Yuma King / 1.0 Durango Mountain King / 0.1 BCI / 1.1 Oregon Garter / 1.0 Everglade Rat Snake / 1.0 Coastal Carpet / 0.1 Bull Snake
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, help., hog island