border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-12, 12:24 AM   #1
Young_Sun

King Snake: Over-Eating?

I think my Snake is over eating, and I am wondering if I should be regulating his eating more thoroughly or continue feeding him as he pleases.

Some Background Info: he (possibly she) is about 4 1/2 years old. Albino. almost 3 feet long and the diameter of a quarter. Up until recently his behaviour has been friendly and almost sociable. he is in a 30g long tank with a wire lid. he has hiding places on both the warm and cool side of the tank. always fresh water. coconut husk substrate. eats once every 1-2 weeks (depending on how active he is. eating 2-3 hoppers per feeding. until recently, He had only gone to strike at me twice (made contact once) and both times were because his personal space had been invaded. He escaped once on his own about 3 years ago. My cat has attacked him twice, once 2-3 years ago and the other just a few months ago*. The first time left him with some minor scars and this last time he lost the 1/4 inch of his tail and I had to administer anti-biotics via needle. while healing he shed about every 2 weeks and I fed him 2-3 times a week. each "snack" consisted of 2-4 pinkies and then we upgraded to fuzzies in the same amount.

Now: no more open wounds. eating once or twice a week a week (although it seems he would prefer to eat 2-3 times a week). 3 larger hoppers in one sitting but still seems hungry. has bitten me. tried to eat my room mate's finger. very aggressive through the glass.

So as you can see his behaviour has changed greatly and he is always hungry. both of these are out of character. so i guess i have 2 questions:

1) Am I over feeding him? Should I feed him until he stops searching for food?
2) will his behaviour go back to normal?

*yes I realize I need a better set up for his tank, and I feel extremely guilty. this has been a learning experience for me and as an owner I am disappointed in myself for allowing it to happen a second time.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-12, 03:24 AM   #2
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Re: King Snake: Over-Eating?

Personally I'd say every 2 weeks at that age... But I also wouldn't be feeding as much in one go... My corn will search for food even after a huge meal. I've heard kings are good eaters so you may find that he will eat himself into a fatty
Old 07-19-12, 06:09 AM   #3
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

You should try feeding him one small rat as opposed to three hoppers.
Old 07-19-12, 08:03 AM   #4
millertime89
Forum Moderator

It actually sounds like the tank setup isn't too bad. Snakes will pretty much eat when offered, unless they're ball pythons... so if you want him to lose some weight, feed less, take him out more. I also agree with Korbin, maybe not a small rat, a pup or a weaner might be better suited at this point.
Old 07-19-12, 08:08 AM   #5
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

I read it as three years old and 4½ feet long. I am unsure about what a king snake can take but my 2½ year old corn was eating a large to XL mouse every week.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-12, 08:19 AM   #6
millertime89
Forum Moderator

so weaned to small small adults
Old 07-21-12, 11:23 AM   #7
Young_Sun

ok but, this is out of character. until recently, he would stop looking for food after a certain amount and now it seems as if he would just keep eating if i let him. This is a huge change in behaviour and I'm wondering if this change is permanent and if there is anything I can do to revert it.

As for the size, I will start to give him larger portions after I take him to the vet and she says he is completely healed. Until then I don't want to over stretch him
Closed Thread

Tags
behaviour, feeding, king snake