sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-12, 03:06 PM   #1
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Post The Truth About Daddy-Longlegs

I was bored so I decided to write an article about Daddy-Long-Legs. Yes, these are the types of things I do when bored.

The Truth about Daddy-Longlegs

When you think "Daddy-Longlegs", the first thing you probably think of is a Harvestman (pictured below).
Actually, there are three creatures which people tend to call "Daddy-Longlegs", none of which are related to each other.

The Harvestman is not, however, a spider as most people think. They are Opiliones; types of arachnids more closely related to mites and scorpions than that of spiders. One main way of telling them apart from spiders is that the two main body-sections (cephalathorax and abdomen) are fused together as one. These creatures hunt for their food and do not spin webs as spiders do. Harvestmen only have two eyes (if any, depending on the species) instead of eight, and do not have fangs. Their mouthparts look like tiny claws, and they eat rather than drink their prey.
Harvestmen do not have venom glands and are completely harmless to humans.

The second "Daddy-Longlegs" is the Cellar Spider (Pictured below)

This common household dweller is a true spider. Some people consider it a pest, while others find that the Daddy-Longlegs is an asset in the home. In certain regions it is known to prey on dangerous species such as the Redback (closely related to the Black-Widow) and Hobo Spider.

Note that it has a smaller body in comparison to the Harvestman, with two distinctly separate sections (again cephalathorax and abdomen). The Cellar Spider has a slightly transparent body and legs. Some species have eight eyes while others have six. These spiders spin messy webs to catch their prey.

Urban Legend states that the Daddy-Longlegs Spider has one of the most venomous bites in the world but cannot puncture human skin with its tiny fangs. This has been proven to be a myth. The Discovery Channel's television show "Mythbusters" was the first to prove that this spider, in fact, is not as dangerous as people believe. After injecting the venom into a mouse which suffered no harm, host Adam Savage allowed the spider to bite him, proving the first half of the myth wrong - the Daddy-Longlegs' fangs can break human skin. After only suffering a "short-lived burning sensation" they concluded that the latter part of the myth was also "busted". Apparently, harm to a human being by this spider species has never been reported. Other research also shows that the effects of Cellar Spider venom is weak on insects as well.

The third and final "Daddy-Longlegs" is actually an insect and is known as the Crane Fly. (Pictured below)

These are large, scary looking flies which resemble giant mosquitos. This "Daddy-Longlegs" species however is harmless, and does not bite humans. Many adult crane flies do not eat at all, while some feed on nectar. Most species, once reaching adulthood, only live long enough to mate and die. The grubs (larvae) eat roots of plants and can cause considerable damage in large numbers. The crane fly has relatively weak wings and is not an adept flyer.

The Harvestman, the Cellar Spider and the Crane Fly. All three of these are misunderstood, harmless creatures which we call "Daddy-Longlegs".
Instagram: pareeeee17

Last edited by Pareeeee; 05-27-12 at 03:17 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 05-27-12, 03:13 PM   #2
Snakefood
mamma bear

Re: The Truth About Daddy-Longlegs

ok, so show us the "real" Daddy Long-Legs now!!

My curiosity has been peaked!!
Old 05-27-12, 03:20 PM   #3
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

The truth is, the term Daddy-Longlegs has been given to three different species, but is not a "real" name per say...the real names are Huntsman, Cellar Spider and Crane Fly. The name really just refers to the fact that they all have long legs...
Old 05-27-12, 03:37 PM   #4
*Don't Mind Me*

Wait, the Cellar Spider is a 'true spider', have I been wrong for years!?

Reptile enthusiast: of course!
Reptile keeper: not at the moment...
Old 05-27-12, 03:45 PM   #5
Snakefood
mamma bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
The truth is, the term Daddy-Longlegs has been given to three different species, but is not a "real" name per say...the real names are Huntsman, Cellar Spider and Crane Fly. The name really just refers to the fact that they all have long legs...
ahhh, I always though the huntsman was the daddy long legs, the cellar spider was the annoying one behind the toilet!!

I don't think we have crane fly's here, just leather jackets
Old 05-27-12, 05:24 PM   #6
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

The larvae are called leatherjackets or leatherbacks
Old 05-27-12, 05:26 PM   #7
GarterPython
Young and Wise

Yeah the harvestmen were the ones that we always called Daddy Long Legs
Old 05-27-12, 07:36 PM   #8
jaleely
Member of the family

I've never seen the first one...the second is the one i term daddy long leg, and I have indeed heard the myth that it's poisonous, but that it's fangs are can't penitrate human skin...and the last one we always called "skeeter-eaters" *lol* I've seen this pictured type, but also another kind and my mom told me they were mosquito eaters : )
I've always caught them and put them outside. They usually fly into the house at night, going to the light.
Perhaps a different bug all together??

The actual long legged spiders pictured here can be found all over my house...not only am I a *coughLazycough* humanitarian, but hey if there's another bug, they'll eat it!! hehe
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 05-27-12, 07:40 PM   #9
Snakefood
mamma bear

^^^ yes, the leather jackets here are suposed to eat skeeters, which is why I love them so much, never kill a leather jacket!!
Old 05-27-12, 08:08 PM   #10
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

... i may sound like an idiot here, but i heard, and possibly read, that daddy long legs, (the cellar spiders ) are some of the most venomous spiders out there, there fangs just cant puncture skin????

again, i believe i heard this on animal planet, OR nat geo magazine, dont remember where excactly, but i remember hearing it....
Old 05-27-12, 08:15 PM   #11
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeEuGi View Post
... i may sound like an idiot here, but i heard, and possibly read, that daddy long legs, (the cellar spiders ) are some of the most venomous spiders out there, there fangs just cant puncture skin????

again, i believe i heard this on animal planet, OR nat geo magazine, dont remember where excactly, but i remember hearing it....
yep. that's the most famous myth about them that I've been trying to clear up. Most people mistakenly think they are extremely poisonous when in reality they are not.

Last edited by Pareeeee; 05-27-12 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: i accidentally a word
Old 05-27-12, 08:25 PM   #12
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakefood View Post
^^^ yes, the leather jackets here are suposed to eat skeeters, which is why I love them so much, never kill a leather jacket!!

sorry to burst your bubble but no species of crane fly will eat a mosquito.

Common names given to Crane Flies are: Daddy-Longlegs, Leatherjackets, Skeeter Eaters, Mosquito Eaters, Mosquito Hawk, Gallinipper, and Gollywhopper. Despite these common names they do not prey on mosquitos as adults. Some species of Crane Fly larvae are, however, carnivorous and occasionally will eat mosquito larvae.
Old 05-27-12, 08:52 PM   #13
Snakefood
mamma bear

well that sucks the big one since I live in between a swamp and a lake!! I kind of liked the idea of them eating the little buggers.

Although skeeters don't bother me, they eat my mom and hubby alive
Old 05-28-12, 06:52 AM   #14
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

lol...I know it's disappointing to find that out.

I attract mosquitos...thankfully I've already had West Nile so I don't think I can get it again. Our bat population is declining here due to White-Nose Syndrome...that means MORE mosquitos! Yay!
Old 05-28-12, 07:39 AM   #15
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Nice article! I've only ever referred to the Huntsman as Daddy-Longlegs though.
Closed Thread

Tags
daddy, legs, long, longlegs, spider