border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-12, 10:45 AM   #1
jgarite

Unhappy Young Dum Boa hasn't eaten since Nov '11

I have a young dumerils boa, less than 1 year old (i think). He hasn't eaten since November of 2011. He continues to shed and occasionally drops a bomb (if you know what i mean), but won't eat. He was shipped to us in the cold weather, so we thought he was just hibernating.

It's been pretty warm now, and I've adjusted his tank to a smaller 10 gallon with safe bedding material (as opposed to nothing but title up to 2 months ago), gave him a nice hide (which he doesn't use - he burrows), and ensure his heat pad is around 85F. I provided a powersun lamp during the day because he's in the basement and it can get cold down there, so I use that to raise the ambient temperature to 85-95F. He has a water bowl. I spray the sides of the tank with some water, not much because I read up on the humidity and it should be around 20% (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've read).

I'm trying to feed him FT mice. I warm them by placing them under the heat lamp. I've even tried exposing the brain juices and blood. He begins to show interest, but will never take it. I've tried leaving it in the tank with him, right in front of him, and he won't eat it. Being in the basement, there's no foot traffic of any kind, so there's no distractions. three sides of his tank are blocked so he can't see out.

What else can I try???

Oh, he doesn't have mites or anything like that, we've checked and treated for it back in the winter....umm, I think I covered everything...The only thing we haven't tested him for is internal parasites...but I don't think he would still be shedding and lively if it was that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-17-12, 04:05 PM   #2
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Re: Young Dum Boa hasn't eaten since Nov '11

When you picked him up, when was the last time he ate for the previous owner and what did he eat then?
Old 05-17-12, 05:52 PM   #3
jgarite

Thanks for helping. He was shipped overnight from a reputable seller on kingsnake.com. However, the shipper did not use a heatpad - I don't know if it was necessary. To answer your question, he ate once after we got him. We were told he was on live mice, so we fed him a live mouse. He ate it the first time, back in November. The following week, we tried to feed him again, this time it wasn't too easy. He wasn't really interested at first, so the mouse huddled in teh corner. When the snake finally got interested (a few minutes in), the mouse didn't make it easy - the mouse did bite him. We yanked the mouse out right away. We switched to F/T mice since that incident. Two weeks after that, he ate another mouse - a F/T mouse. But since then, he hasn't eaten...Any advice?
Old 05-17-12, 08:31 PM   #4
GarterPython
Young and Wise

You could try feeding him live as a last resort but other than that I am not much help.
Old 05-17-12, 09:01 PM   #5
jgarite

Thanks, I will try that, but I'm going to give him a few more weeks since the warm weather is just kicking in. Anyone else have any ideas?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-18-12, 04:35 AM   #6
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Send a message via Yahoo to CDN_Blood

Have you tried larger food items? Seems to me that a yearling Dumeril's isn't going to be terribly interested in such small prey. Of course, an image of this size of the snake would help, as would one of it's enclosure...
Old 05-18-12, 08:38 PM   #7
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

I would go with feeding him a live rat pup. Just so theres no confusion, I mean pre-weaned about 2 weeks old. I would not go back to live mice for so many reasons. An adult mouse even though its the same size as a rat pup is much more agressive and if you already have a hesitant eater... You know the rest of that.

I know what some of you are thinking right now but its been way too long. I know all the arguments about f/t feeding but in this case its better for the snake to get it to start eating again. Besides, switching to rats is way better for your Dum anyway. Theres just so much more to them especially after he gets bigger.
Old 05-19-12, 11:25 AM   #8
jgarite

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here's a pic of his tank and the snake for size reference. I know the tank is bland, but I dont want to crowd him.

The boxes are on the sides to prevent him from seeing the rainbow boas on either side of his tank. His heatpad is measureing at 83F, but he usually doesn't go in the hide, he stays towards the front of the tank (opposite end of the hide)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

He's only wrapped around my last two fingers once. He's in mid shed right now, btw.
Old 05-19-12, 11:41 AM   #9
unknownclown

Send a message via AIM to unknownclown

If thats the paper stuff I think it is then it really should be replaced with something that can encourage humidity. I dont know alot about Dums but Im sure that the paper isnt that great...
Definately try the rat pups and do away with the mice. You could have a shy eater on your hands if so try putting it in an appropriate sized tub not huge for it with a rat pup then covering it or putting it somewhere peaceful and out of the way. Dont constantly check on it but give it a few hours. it should be perfectly fine with a pup since they can hardly even crawl on thier own.
Old 05-19-12, 01:03 PM   #10
jgarite

- I use the paper stuff to avoid mites - was told its the least likely to contain mites from the pet stores or warehouses. But if anyone has suggestions, perhaps i'll start another thread on that.
- I'll try rat pups, should they be live or f/t? it wont hurt him if its alive in a tub with him, will it? based on his size, would a tupperware container work (with holes for air)?
- With regards to peacefulness, he's in the basement, no noise, no body walking by him.

Thanks everyone! Once I get an answer, frozen or live, i'll get him a rat pup but I probably should wait until he's done shedding right?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-19-12, 04:40 PM   #11
CDN_Blood
Custos serpentium

Send a message via Yahoo to CDN_Blood

A snake that size in my house would be being offered medium rats and it would have newspaper in it's tank.

I would get rid of paper stuff pronto, personally, but as far as not eating, it's most likely because the food being offered is way too small for it's size, so increasing the size to medium rats would likely get it going. It won't want to waste energy eating tiny things like mice because it knows it's going to expend more energy trying to eat such a small item than it's going to be taking in by eating it - it's simply not worth it's while to take such small prey.
Old 05-19-12, 04:50 PM   #12
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post
A snake that size in my house would be being offered medium rats and it would have newspaper in it's tank.

I would get rid of paper stuff pronto, personally, but as far as not eating, it's most likely because the food being offered is way too small for it's size, so increasing the size to medium rats would likely get it going. It won't want to waste energy eating tiny things like mice because it knows it's going to expend more energy trying to eat such a small item than it's going to be taking in by eating it - it's simply not worth it's while to take such small prey.
.....ditto
Old 05-20-12, 05:22 AM   #13
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarite View Post
Thanks to everyone for your help. Here's a pic of his tank and the snake for size reference. I know the tank is bland, but I dont want to crowd him.

The boxes are on the sides to prevent him from seeing the rainbow boas on either side of his tank. His heatpad is measureing at 83F, but he usually doesn't go in the hide, he stays towards the front of the tank (opposite end of the hide)

He's only wrapped around my last two fingers once. He's in mid shed right now, btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Blood View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwizard View Post
.....ditto
I need to modify my previous "ditto" since it was made using my "smart" phone. Looking at the pic of your Dum, that snake is too small to eat medium (85-174g) rats. I still say pups (20-29g) are your best bet but shortly thereafter should go up to weaners (30-44g). The pic I attached here is that of Miss Piggy. She eats medium rats; 1 every 2 weeks and shes much bigger than your Dum. Once again, I apologize for that "ditto" and I hope that didnt steer you wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miss Piggy 3.jpg (25.3 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by exwizard; 05-20-12 at 05:29 AM..
Old 05-20-12, 09:37 AM   #14
jgarite

No worries. I helped him to finish shed yesterday with a nice bath. he's fully shed and active now, so I'm going to petland to get a rat pup. The thing is they only have frozen (4 for $7.49). Should I try that? There's no other pet stores in Staten Island that would sell rat pups, the only other option is to order online in bulk.
Old 05-20-12, 11:20 AM   #15
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

I wish I lived closer to you. I'd sell them to you myself. Try that. If he still won't take it. Look locally on CL or elsewhere for a rat breeder for a live rat pup. Good luck
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
dumeril's boa, feeding