border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-12, 09:52 PM   #1
Snakeboy0615

Question Boa breathing funny

i have a panamanion boa i baught it from the pet store (Petco) about a year ago he is about 3-3/1/2 feet long he is a slow grower but healthy he has this small breathing problem tho i think it is an RI but very minor i have taken him to the vet and she wanted to charge me almost 1300$ just for test and medz i do not have that kind of money so i researched online and went to the pet store to see what they could tell me all of them said raise the heat and lower the humidity so i did and he is getting better he eats just fine (if you wana see him flatten a mouse look me up on youtube iMonkey0615) but he does have alot of mucas when he eats it goes all over the mice and looks like they dipped in the pool idk if that is discharge of the RI or if its normal he has stopped wheezing but if i were to raise the humidity it would come back but thats with just a few sprays so what do i do? i have him on aspen bedding he has a airflow passing threw his tank fresh water everyday and his tank stays at a constant 80-95 i do not have a hide for him so he burrys himself he tank is to oddly shapped to find a hide that would fit perfectly is that okay or bad?any tips will help

thank you
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-12, 10:24 PM   #2
USMCgunner11

Re: Boa breathing funny

I would look for another vet who specializes in reptiles. That estimate sounds way too high.

In my experience, the bigger and more established the hospital is, the better the prices are. It's the smaller places that tend to overcharge IMO.
Old 04-16-12, 10:30 PM   #3
USMCgunner11

To provide you with a recent example... I just had my RTB taken to the vet twice this week. Once to an emergency clinic and the other to her reg vet. She had a minor rectal prolapse. Between the two vet trips, she was given 2 complete examinations, 2 medications and received several stitches to keep the protruding tissue from coming back out. All in all, the cost was only $150 for everything.

I know it's not the same thing as an RI and will have a different set of needs, meds and treatment. But vet trips should not be as costly as $1300 for a test and some medication!
Old 04-16-12, 10:59 PM   #4
Snakeboy0615

Wow that's crazy and I didn't know that and is ur RTB doin better? Also the test were x-rays lung flushes anti biotics blood work and I think one more and it was a hospital but not a very big it wasn't as big as a human hospital but it was about the size of a corner 711 maybe 10ft wider all around bigger and the vet didnt tell me something I didn't know already and it was just 55$ alone just to talk to her
Old 04-16-12, 11:13 PM   #5
USMCgunner11

She's better thank you.

Based on the price you'd swear they were treating people in there too. Regardless, I wouldn't wait too long before you get him into a vets office.
Old 04-16-12, 11:23 PM   #6
Snakeboy0615

Your welcome and I've been calling all around to see If the vets will take my snake but a lot of them do not and the ones that do are like 6 7 hours away
Old 04-16-12, 11:31 PM   #7
USMCgunner11

I sent you a link via email to a vet I use that should be local to you if I got your area right
Old 04-17-12, 05:55 AM   #8
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeboy0615 View Post
Wow that's crazy and I didn't know that and is ur RTB doin better? Also the test were x-rays lung flushes anti biotics blood work and I think one more and it was a hospital but not a very big it wasn't as big as a human hospital but it was about the size of a corner 711 maybe 10ft wider all around bigger and the vet didnt tell me something I didn't know already and it was just 55$ alone just to talk to her
you need to find a new vet,as the one you see seems to be trying to take as much money as possible from you

a simple tracial wash or bacteria cultured from the trachea or oropharynx,should be enough to determine the correct treament

imo theres NO need for x rays or blood work at this stage mate

i'm pretty sure your vets just out to do all the tests out there,just to earn more cash from you

re aspen substrate
i and a lot of other carpet python keepers,stopperd using aspen,due to the dust in it causing mild respiritory issues

cheers shaun
Old 04-17-12, 07:30 AM   #9
Snakeboy0615

Thanks USM and I herd from the pet store employees that they didn't like it because it smelt after they have used it I did have him on this coconut stuff it comes in a brick and u soak it for like 30min take it out the water squeeze it and put it in his cage it's like dirt but better should I put him back on that? Or what do u think is best?
Old 04-17-12, 09:05 AM   #10
USMCgunner11

That substrate raises the humidity level really high. If you like the stuff though you could always buy the dry version of that. You mentioned before that you shop at Petco and I know that is a regular stock item for them. It comes in a big bag and has a similar label. Should cost about the same as those dry bricks.
Old 04-17-12, 09:15 AM   #11
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

The bricks are cheaper. After hydrating the coco husk speed it out and let it sit for a few days or you can bake it. I personally bake it.
Old 04-17-12, 09:47 AM   #12
Trent
Snake Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
The bricks are cheaper. After hydrating the coco husk speed it out and let it sit for a few days or you can bake it. I personally bake it.
Why are you baking it??

A few critters...
Old 04-17-12, 09:55 AM   #13
USMCgunner11

You buy 3 bricks for $9.99 at the store (or at least that's my local price) or you can buy one giant bag of the dry equivalent for $9.99. Hydrating it and then baking it is justa waste of time. I would look into a different option for substrate if it involved that much effort.
Old 04-17-12, 10:04 AM   #14
Snakefood
mamma bear

I am dealing with an RI in my BP right now, I know we're in different countries (but ususally it is less expensive on your side of the line!!)

exam + microscopic diagnosis + meds were $86, and I have to go back for a re-exam at the end of the month.

Also you said the pet store said raise temps and drop humidity.

Unless Boa's are that much different that is wrong, I have been advised by both vets and experienced keepers of B/p's that you raise temps AND humidity.
Old 04-17-12, 10:13 AM   #15
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

Yes, Snakefood, you are correct.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa constrictor, boa help