border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-12, 10:07 AM   #1
Kaity

First Boa - Hog Island?

After years of wanting a boa, I'm finally in a position where I can have one. I would love a Hog Island boa, and their size and temp/humidity requirements fit my living space well. However, I'm a bit concerned as I've always read that locality-specific boas have specialized care requirements, but I can't seem to find anything Hogs need that is super different from most other Bci. So, does anyone know of any Hog-specific quirks? Would a different boa be better for someone who's only ever kept colubrids? Also, can I put him right into his adult-size enclosure once he outgrows the 20gal he would be housed in as a hatchling, or would an intermediate enclosure be a good idea?

Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions at once
Login to remove ads
Old 03-18-12, 10:23 AM   #2
Ridge Runner_20

Re: First Boa - Hog Island?

Hi Kaity! I think a Hog Island would be a great choice! Care is virtually the same as any BCI (60%+ humidity, hot spot 92-95), and so far, mine has been a real pleasure to keep. She has a great temperment, is an amazing feeder, and her colors and color changing abilities are incredible! As for the size of enclosure, I currently have her in a 20 gallon (she's not quite 3'), and will be moving her to her permanent home of an Animal Plastics T10 (48"x24"x15") within the next year. Just make sure you find a reputable breeder, and if possible, have a look at the parents as well. I was fortunate, as my breeder was local, and had both parents onsite for me to see. Good luck and enjoy; Hog Islands are amazing boas!

RR_20 (Mike)
Old 03-18-12, 11:57 AM   #3
Kaity

Thanks man, that's good to hear. The reputable-breeder-search is on as we speak! I found one local guy who looks promising, so I'm going to check him out at the next expo I can make. If I don't find anyone local, I'll inquire at Rio Bravo Reptiles or Cutting Edge Herp - I've heard only praise for them.

Anyway, what made you choose that specific enclosure? Also, what kind of substrate do you use and should I provide a water bowl big enough for soaking? It seems that in the correct environment soaking wouldn't be necessary (plus it sounds like an invitation for scale rot) but I'd rather not make an incorrect assumption.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-18-12, 12:42 PM   #4
Ridge Runner_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
Thanks man, that's good to hear. The reputable-breeder-search is on as we speak! I found one local guy who looks promising, so I'm going to check him out at the next expo I can make. If I don't find anyone local, I'll inquire at Rio Bravo Reptiles or Cutting Edge Herp - I've heard only praise for them.

Anyway, what made you choose that specific enclosure? Also, what kind of substrate do you use and should I provide a water bowl big enough for soaking? It seems that in the correct environment soaking wouldn't be necessary (plus it sounds like an invitation for scale rot) but I'd rather not make an incorrect assumption.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback.
Great to hear! I'm sure you'll find someone reputable and end up with a very nice animal.

As for the enclosure, I've looked at just about all of them (Boaphile, AP, Vision, Boamaster, etc.), and I really liked the extra 3" of height in the AP T10 enclosure (15" height vs. 12" in most others). I also did a bunch of research online, and after speaking to Ali at Animal Plastics via email, I found their customer service to be excellent. Good enough for me!

Substrate is just aspen shavings, nothing special. My girl doesn't really burrow at all, she just pushes up her substrate into little piles to get settled on the nice, warm UTH. Regarding the water dish, I've always heard it's NOT a good idea to give snakes an overly large bowl, so I just keep it simple with a heavy crock-type food/water container like you might use for a cat or small dog. While I suppose she could soak if she wanted, she never has thus far.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and best of luck finding a breeder and snake you will love.

RR_20 (Mike)
Old 03-18-12, 02:48 PM   #5
Shmoges

Why would it be bad to give certain kinds of snakes a large water dish? I like to provide one that is big enough that they can get into it but not a swimming pool.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-18-12, 03:14 PM   #6
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner_20 View Post
Great to hear! I'm sure you'll find someone reputable and end up with a very nice animal.

As for the enclosure, I've looked at just about all of them (Boaphile, AP, Vision, Boamaster, etc.), and I really liked the extra 3" of height in the AP T10 enclosure (15" height vs. 12" in most others). I also did a bunch of research online, and after speaking to Ali at Animal Plastics via email, I found their customer service to be excellent. Good enough for me!
Ive done business with these people in person since they are based right here in the Des Moines metro and yes their customer service is great. I also like their racks as we have 2 of them and are in the process of getting a 3rd one hopefully by next week. I confirm this, AP is the way to go for caging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner_20 View Post
Regarding the water dish, I've always heard it's NOT a good idea to give snakes an overly large bowl, so I just keep it simple with a heavy crock-type food/water container like you might use for a cat or small dog. While I suppose she could soak if she wanted, she never has thus far.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and best of luck finding a breeder and snake you will love.

RR_20 (Mike)
This will work but as far as not having anything big enough to soak in, sometimes snakes soak in their water dish to help with shedding and to just relax. My BRBs do it and my Macks do it. Both species require a lot of humidity esp the BRBs and this one of several ways to satisfy that need.

I also agree that a Hog is a great choice for a first snake and I also encourage you with this choice. You will have lots of fun with him.
Old 03-18-12, 03:22 PM   #7
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

If you get a Hogg I'll demand lots of photos...
Old 03-18-12, 03:25 PM   #8
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
If you get a Hogg I'll demand lots of photos...
Of course you would but then I guess we all love pics so yeah bring 'em on
Old 03-18-12, 04:09 PM   #9
Ridge Runner_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoges View Post
Why would it be bad to give certain kinds of snakes a large water dish? I like to provide one that is big enough that they can get into it but not a swimming pool.
I suppose it depends upon the genus/species, but I guess I was referring specifically to BCI/BCC. I once read a piece on the subject written by Gus Rentfro of Rio Bravo Reptiles, and he suggests that a healthy boa (BCI/BCC) with proper husbandry should have no real reason to soak, and that soaking is likely to be a sign of problems and/or cause more problems than help in any way. But like you suggest, my boa's water dish is probably large enough for her to soak, but not a bathtub by any means.

RR_20 (Mike)
Old 03-19-12, 09:17 PM   #10
Pals_id

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaity View Post
After years of wanting a boa, I'm finally in a position where I can have one. I would love a Hog Island boa, and their size and temp/humidity requirements fit my living space well. However, I'm a bit concerned as I've always read that locality-specific boas have specialized care requirements, but I can't seem to find anything Hogs need that is super different from most other Bci. So, does anyone know of any Hog-specific quirks? Would a different boa be better for someone who's only ever kept colubrids? Also, can I put him right into his adult-size enclosure once he outgrows the 20gal he would be housed in as a hatchling, or would an intermediate enclosure be a good idea?

Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions at once
I'm actually doing the reverse this year! After keeping boas for years (currently 10 in the collection), I am obtaining a couple pairs of garters. I think you would like mixing it up and keeping boas too.

Hog Island boas are an insular island subspecies and the only thing you would really have to adjust from a mainland Bci is the feeding schedule. I have kept some insular island boas and they thrive on much less food than other Bci. Do not feed more than one appropriately sized rodent once every two weeks, even as a baby. Then as the prey item's size increases, increase the time between feedings. You can also reduce the temps a bit during the winter months and feed much less during this cooler time. The temp cycles are explained in "The Complete Boa Constrictor" by Vin Russo and is a good read for anyone keeping these locality boas. I know from emailing back and forth with Vin, he feeds his baby insular island boas only once a month during the winter cool down.

I also keep all my young boas in 41qt Rubbermaid sweater boxes in my home made shelving unit with heat and a thermostat. They keep in heat and humidity much better than a glass aquarium, which is why aquariums are not recommended for keeping boas that are native to tropical regions. Once they outgrow their 41qt tubs, I am moving them to 4" enclosures.

I hope that helps a bit and will look for the pictures
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, hog island