sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-11, 05:46 PM   #1
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Burms first regurge

My Burm just regurgitated for the first time. She had it down for 5-6 days. It was about a 5 pound rabbit. It came up about the size of a rat. Do I need to refeed her or did she get enough nutrients?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-14-11, 06:51 PM   #2
maitre

Re: Burms first regurge

What size is your burmese?

Wait 1-2 weeks before feeding again so she can rebuild her stomach acids/juices.

Btw, I thought you owned a male burm...?
Old 05-14-11, 07:00 PM   #3
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

I own a regular female and an albino male. She is between7.5-8'. Ok, but did she gain anything from it?
Old 05-14-11, 07:50 PM   #4
mykee
Super Genius

You need to concern yourself more with why she regurged than anything else.
Either she has internal parasites or (and this is the more likely of the two) your husbandry is way off.
Old 05-14-11, 09:38 PM   #5
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

At 8 feet should he be eating 5 pound rabbits?
Ours tend to eat smaller meals more often and they do great, haven't had any food related issues yet.
(that being said we don't have access to 5 pound rabbits because the breeders here sell max 2 pound rabbits -.-)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-14-11, 09:45 PM   #6
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

That was a guess but it felt around 5 pounds. How could she randomly get parasites and never have had a problem before? How are they treated? I'm hoping it was just stress, her husbandrys not great right now she's outgrown her cage, and cant fit in the hide. I've already ordered a sufficient cage but she's stuck in this for another week.
Old 05-14-11, 09:55 PM   #7
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Honestly, she doesn't need a specialty hide. A friend of mine uses a cardboard box as a hide for his retic and the thing is like 17 feet long, if given a choice between that one and anything else hes in that.

Regarding the cage, there isn't much you can do but wait for the new one to come in, you might want to limit handling and cover her terrarium in a towel to reduce the potential for stress.
Old 05-14-11, 09:58 PM   #8
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

I like the towel idea. There's no hide,even a cardboard box, because there's no room for it in her cage. The right sized hide would take up almost all of the cage.

If it is worms how would you treat and what would have caused them? Can the eggs become airborne? I sanitize my hook from my WC NorPacs after using...
Old 05-15-11, 12:34 AM   #9
Ch^4
3.141592653 Pythons

If she has parasites, treatment depends on the parasite (vet visit). I recently bought a snake and she had internal parasites (the previous owner failed to mention this). She was off feed for a month and had some very fowl bowel movements. I took her to the vet and she had a pretty bad case of some type of single-cell parasites (name has left me), as determined by a rectal swab. 14 days of medication administered orally. She was, of course, in quarantine, so the rest of my pets are fine.

Transmission for this type of parasite was via ingestion--typically drinking water in a bowl with the parasites. Poor husbandry and sanitary measures is a good way to spread parasites. I was also informed by the vet that standard, alcohol-based sanitzers were not enough to kill the eggs; the alcohol-based sanitizer does kill live parasites, but does not kill the eggs (which means handling could be a potential conduit for spreading the parasites). Washing with soap is best, but there is another product for quick and effective sanitation--again, nothing beats soap (per the vet). Zep Foamy Sanz with an active ingredient of benzethonium chloride is pet friendly (according to my vet) and kills parasite eggs.

As Mykee suggested, get your husbandry fixed and if she is still showing signs of internal parasites, get her to a vet. Hopefully it is just the husbandry issue. Keep us updated and good luck!
Old 05-16-11, 05:11 PM   #10
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

If it's parasites she will continue to regure correct? What other signs? Off fecal matter? Is the medication for parasites expensive? There's only one place around to take them and they suck and constantly rip me off so i'd like as much info as possible to possibly just order online or something.

Now i'm trippin on the possibility of this being parasites. If alchohol doesn't kill them she may have picked them up from the tub feeding after the rattlesnakes. Does bleach kill them? What can I do to sterilize soap and water scrub the whole tank, and hook between?

This makes me want to chuck my rattlers off my roof. I guess I have to look into deworming them. Should be fun administering a drug orally to a pit viper.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread