sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-10, 08:47 PM   #1
percey39
Hots Down Under

Octopus

Hi guy's i was just wondering if any of you keep these?
I am looking into getting a couple of blue ringed myself. I have heard that you typically keep them on their own, but was wondering as they are the size of a golf ball and my tank is 6'x3'x4 wether i could keep them together.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Aaron
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-10, 10:35 PM   #2
Kmef07

Send a message via AIM to Kmef07
Re: Octopus

quick search revealed this

•Never by a blue ring octopus, for they are lethal to humans..

•Never put more than one octopus in one tank, and keep fish in separate tanks if you don't want them to get eaten. Good tank mates for octopuses are starfish, or pencil-type urchins. Never put anemones in your octopus tank, because they will sting the octopus, which can lead to stress and even infection..

Read more: How to Prepare for a Pet Octopus | eHow.com How to Prepare for a Pet Octopus | eHow.com
These make me laugh......Kyle
Old 07-21-10, 10:53 PM   #3
percey39
Hots Down Under

I know all about the dangers involved with them. Nearly no bites are fatal if proper care is given in the first 10 minutes. I believe heart massage and breathing machines are the only way to pull through ( no known antidote/venom for these guys ), which is a bit extreme. Cleaning the water is my only concern even though wearing gloves their venom is all through the water in some instances so even a little cut on your hand comming into contact with the water is enough in some cases.
I have heard of people housing 2 of this species together, but wanted to be sure.
Cheers for the link.
Old 07-22-10, 12:43 AM   #4
Freebody
Veteran Member

no you cant keep 2 together, when your breeding them directly after you must remove the male or the female will likley kill him or the other way around its been awhile. not the best idea to keep blue ringed either as they are very finicky and tent to die easy. and remember that they get 6-7 inches and that means there skull is about the size of a pencil head so if you have any hole that size where you tubing is,your octo will get out and they can easily travel across you house and back and their poison has a sleeping agent to it as well as what you said so if you get bit, you will fall asleep rather fast before you can get help, not bad if you have someone their but if it gets out and your alone when you get taged....kiss you but good buy. bites are fatal in 15 min. But if you silicone your entire tank and get a scrub magnet you can keep it in the tank and move the other peice from outside to clean your tank for easy thats whay i did for my lion fish.post pics plz if you get one. I wanted/want one so bad but i think if i get cold temp brakish tank ill get a non poisoness veriety. ill find this video of an octo escaping in a sience lab going across the room into other tanks eating the shell fish and going back in its tank over and over from a security cam set up when they notist shells in its tank lol smart!!
Old 07-22-10, 01:27 AM   #5
percey39
Hots Down Under

I am making a lid that is 100% escape proof (no holes bigger than the size of a pin) for my tank. I was planning on getting the scrub magnet as it would be a hell of a lot easier and safer. Thanks for clearing up the housing situation i will stick to one until breeding time.
As i said im well aware of the risks and have dealt with hot's for a long time and i know that i will take absolutely no risks with these guys at all.
I am getting my tank and the whole set up for 700 australian dollars, which is incredibly cheap. I have a friend whose back got too sore to continuesly clean and maintain his marine fish, so im picking up his. From what i have been told his set up has cost him well into 4000's.
I cant wait to get mine, they look absolutely stunning when darting off for food.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-10, 05:20 AM   #6
.: Laura :.

Lol I love how mental you are! yeah it's just lil biddy octopus that can kill me in 15mins.. no big deal, I'll just secure the lid
Old 07-22-10, 05:56 AM   #7
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by .: Laura :. View Post
Lol I love how mental you are! yeah it's just lil biddy octopus that can kill me in 15mins.. no big deal, I'll just secure the lid

same for me laura,i love the way percey takes it all in his stride.no wonder his in laws refuse to get out the car until they're reassured the coasts clear re dangerous things percey keeps.i take my hat of to you mate.

go for it mate,i cant wait to see some pic's when you get your new guys.

all the best shaun
Old 07-22-10, 05:59 AM   #8
.: Laura :.

Yeah same! I'd love to see one
Old 07-22-10, 06:19 AM   #9
percey39
Hots Down Under

haha come on guy's dont make me feel weird about it lol. Haha Shaun my inlaws wont get out of the car here no matter what lol they wont even step in the door.
The blue ringed fella will be a little while away as im just going to be setting up the tank and letting it all settle and mature with fish, starfish and live coral. Then in 3 or 4 months he will be here. I will definetely get some photo's for you and show some footage him flashing his bits, camoflage and feeding on a crab.
Old 07-22-10, 07:42 AM   #10
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by percey39 View Post
haha come on guy's dont make me feel weird about it lol. Haha Shaun my inlaws wont get out of the car here no matter what lol they wont even step in the door.
The blue ringed fella will be a little while away as im just going to be setting up the tank and letting it all settle and mature with fish, starfish and live coral. Then in 3 or 4 months he will be here. I will definetely get some photo's for you and show some footage him flashing his bits, camoflage and feeding on a crab.

theres nothing to feel wierd about mate.you like a bit of danger in your life.or you like pushing the boundarys and challinging yourself,nothing wrong with that mate.as long as you post plenty pic's
cheers shaun
Old 07-22-10, 07:47 AM   #11
percey39
Hots Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
theres nothing to feel wierd about mate.you like a bit of danger in your life.or you like pushing the boundarys and challinging yourself,nothing wrong with that mate.as long as you post plenty pic's
cheers shaun
Haha maybe i guess. I just find it odd that the most beautiful animals in life will nearly always kill you. I fell head over heels for these guy's a while ago and really only thought about putting in the hard yards and spending the time in working with them a few months ago.
There will be absolutely no shortage in pics, you can trust me with that.

Last edited by percey39; 07-22-10 at 07:59 AM..
Old 07-22-10, 09:30 AM   #12
Jenn_06

cant wait to see the pics, i always wanted one but scaried it will get out.
Old 07-22-10, 09:30 AM   #13
Nafun

It must be an Aussie thing.

If I lived in a country where you had to check your shoes, bed, towel, and clothes thoroughly for big, aggressive, and potentially lethal spiders *every single day* I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash at keeping hots either.

Box Jellyfish? Misunderstood, they just need a hug.
Blue Ring Ocotopus? Not their fault they're poisonous, they just need a little TLC.
20 foot long saltwater crocodile? Just a big cuddly baby!

Even the dogs in Australia eat your babies! And then there's those gray furry bears that drop on your head!

Everything is either poisonous or big enough to kill you, and as a tragic twist of fate most of them are cute.

It's not a prison anymore! You're allowed to leave.

=)
Old 07-22-10, 09:35 AM   #14
percey39
Hots Down Under

Yeah i have made sure there is going to be no way out for this guy. I have seen some interesting footage of them and they are incredibly smart for minute brain size lol.
Haha it must be an aussie thing Nafun. Haha i have been contemplating leaving for a while now. I have always been fascinated by the land of concrete LA lol since i was 8, but i have some animals i just could not bare to ever part with.
Old 07-22-10, 12:41 PM   #15
marvelfreak
Captain America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafun View Post
It must be an Aussie thing.

If I lived in a country where you had to check your shoes, bed, towel, and clothes thoroughly for big, aggressive, and potentially lethal spiders *every single day* I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash at keeping hots either.

Box Jellyfish? Misunderstood, they just need a hug.
Blue Ring Ocotopus? Not their fault they're poisonous, they just need a little TLC.
20 foot long saltwater crocodile? Just a big cuddly baby!

Even the dogs in Australia eat your babies! And then there's those gray furry bears that drop on your head!

Everything is either poisonous or big enough to kill you, and as a tragic twist of fate most of them are cute.

It's not a prison anymore! You're allowed to leave.

=)
LMAO th_nutkick.gif

Years ago i was going to get one. Plain gray i believe is what they called it. Bought everything i needed. Got it all set up took like 6 weeks till it was ready for the octopus. Went back to the pet store to pick it up and it got out of the tank the night before and was dead on the floor. We looked at the tank could figure how it got out. It had a locked lid. So he tried to get me another one but could not find one everyone was out. So my girlfreind at the time talk me into getting fish.
Closed Thread