sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-09, 01:31 PM   #1
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Can one get dewormers and other common snake meds without going to the vet every time

Hi guys,

This question is aimed mostly at the bigger-scale guys and breeders. I was wondering if you need to take snakes to the vet every time you notice sniffles or need to deworm one, of if one can obtain some of these medicines without a prescription? I was just wondering, as I have a rather large collection and am curious if I can do some home remedies when (because I'm sure I will have them from time to time) there are problems?
Old 08-09-09, 08:45 AM   #2
Chu'Wuti

Re: Can one get dewormers and other common snake meds without going to the vet every

Kimberly, I'm sure Julian or Mykee or Mark will jump onto this soon, but I can tell you this much just from reading their posts over the past year--they almost never take their snakes to a vet.

As far as I know, you're unlikely to see worms in any of your CBB snakes--they rarely occur unless your snake is WC. If you have a WC snake and it isn't thriving, you can just take a stool sample in a plastic bag to the vet. Collect it fresh, keep it in the refrigerator, and get it to the vet within 24 hours of it being deposited by the snake.

Most people raise humidity & temps as soon as they "see sniffles" and rarely have to take the snake to a vet for any RI. RIs are almost always caused by low humidity + low temps; screen tops & drafty rooms can contribute. If a snake develops an RI and you have a screen top, cover it to help retain humidity and decrease drafts.

Mites can be a problem if you get a snake carrying them. Quarantine your new snakes for 6 months (some people get by with 3 but 6 is recommended) to prevent a new snake from giving all the others mites or anything else. Check out the thread: http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...tment-nix.html for great info on treating mites without going to a vet.

That's just my two cents; your further "education" (hah!) is up to the other guys now!
Old 08-09-09, 11:06 AM   #3
Will0W783

Re: Can one get dewormers and other common snake meds without going to the vet every

I do quarantine any new snakes I bring in. I learned that lesson after having a bad mite outbreak and breaking my back cleaning and treating all the cages and snakes. I was mainly curious because I have a carpet who is currently being vet treated for an RI and noticed clicking while breathing in one I just brought home last weekend and had to treat for mites (he's in a different room and I think it might have been a little cool for him). He now has a heat lamp on a timer and I got his mouth open and checked for mucus and he seems clean so I'm hoping the heat will fix anything that might be starting. I also have a WC Spilotes pullatus I just got yesterday. It has been in captivity for a few months and treated for external but not internal parasites. I don't want to stress it unduly by lugging it along to the vet, but my vet won't do fecal samples without my bringing the animal in for a full workup. He's a great vet and very good with reptiles, but EXPENSIVE. I care about my animals and if it comes to a vet visit I will take them, but I was curious how much home care I could manage. Thank you.
Old 08-09-09, 12:04 PM   #4
Chu'Wuti

I figured you probably quarantine; you have come across as pretty knowledgeable and smart about snake husbandry. However, enough people don't understand the importance of quarantining--or even know to quarantine--that it's worth a mention in a thread like this.

You may have done this already, too--raise the humidity for the carpet and the new snake that's clicking? For any snake with an RI or possible RI, increasing humidity to the upper limits of that species' range can be very helpful, as it helps make breathing easier.

I guess the extra training that a herp-certified vet gets leads to their being able to charge higher prices . I know what you mean, though--we'll pay the $$$ if it's needed to help the snake! Too bad your vet won't check a fecal sample you take in; mine is good about that, but every vet is different.

There is a lot you can do yourself, though--I've never had to take any of my snakes (a pretty good number over three+ decades, all WC until the past five years) to a vet because I've done my research--just as you're doing now--in order to keep them properly. A book that I've found to be pretty helpful with the WCs I've had over the past decade+ is What's Wrong with My Snake? by John Rossi, DVM, and Roxanne Rossi.

Here's hoping that Julian/Mykee/Mark/Aaron (or any of the other experienced breeders/keepers) get on with more suggestions!
Old 08-10-09, 09:27 AM   #5
Will0W783

I do quarantine, and I have the clicking snake in a separate room with a heat lamp keeping his temps in the mid-to-upper 80s ambient and about 93 basking. He is still undergoing the Nix treatment- his final treatment will be tonight. I have soaked him a few times a week in 90 degree water. The hot water soak was recommended by my vet the last time I had a snake with an RI. He seems to be doing better; I got him to open his mouth with a q-tip and didn't see any mucus, and I haven't heard the clicking in over 24 hours, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's so hard to keep the humidity up during Nix treatment, but he'll be done with that soon.
Old 08-10-09, 02:12 PM   #6
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I'm no expert on treating for internal parasites etc. as I only deal with CAPTIVE BRED stock & don't deal with those that deal in WC if I can help it at all.
I can;t recall offhand the name of a common dewormer used & cannot describe its dosage et. if I were to remember its name.
It is a common item usually found in livestock & feed stores but the name excapes me.
Flagyl is one I think but there is also another commonly used (a type of creme). Mark
Old 08-11-09, 09:06 AM   #7
Will0W783

ivermectin? panacure?
Old 08-11-09, 01:53 PM   #8
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Ah yes Pancure (sp?) Mark
Old 08-12-09, 08:40 AM   #9
Will0W783

Thanks Mark. I talked to my vet and he said he will let me bring in a stool sample without bringing the snake in for a full exam. That way I'll know if it is even necessary. I have a WC Spilotes pullatus and want to do all I can to ensure its survival, so if it has parasites I want them eradicated. It's quite a neat little snake, but territorial..lol.
Old 08-13-09, 02:28 PM   #10
Chu'Wuti

Glad to hear the snake is doing better, Kimberly, and also glad to see that others have been able to offer some solid info re deworming! Good luck getting the poor snake into completely healthy condition.

Pics?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-13-09, 03:46 PM   #11
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Be careful if deworming & get a safe dosage from someone that knows FOR SURE!
They can also be bad for dehydrating animals as well so lots of fresh water etc. is required during treatment, Mark
Old 08-13-09, 05:12 PM   #12
Will0W783

Thanks Mark. I just acquired an imported Spilotes pullatus subadult. He is about 3-4 feet long and seems to be doing well. The seller had treated him for mites but not internal parasites and had him for about 3 weeks; he had gotten the snake in a trade. He is fairly tame and quite handleable and supposedly eating f/t so the previous owner must have had him for a while too to be able to accomplish that. I have no idea if the importer treated him for internal parasites as the seller I got him from had no information on the importer. I have him in quarantine and have checked him for mites via soaking and substrate examination. I haven't found any on him, but until I have a fecal sample run and vet check I'll keep him in the quarantine room. I just wanted to know if I could deworm him on my own, but I have decided to take at least a fecal sample into my vet to find out if it is even necessary. I don't want to put him through medications if he doesn't need them.
Old 08-14-09, 10:25 AM   #13
Joel La Rocque

Hi Kimberly:
De-worming any reptile is a risky business. I personally have my daughter handle that end of the problem as she is in DVM school now and I am not that sure of myself. We use a combination of two drugs, the first is Ivermectin followed by Praziquatel. I keep all of my animals on a 100% white cotton bath towel, used as a substrate. I find it best because I can see anything odd such as a mite, tick, flea or blood spots. I also see any fecal matter immediately and replace the towel with a new one. Every dropping is checked under a microscope for protozoa or worms and we go from there. These drugs are very harsh to the GI system and they should be given with great care. Check the droppings with a magnifying glass or get a cheep microscope at toys are us, it will come in very handy when you suspect a problem.
I don't know what you put in the bottom of your tanks but in the past 15 years I have used nothing but cotton beach towels and I have caught several potential problems very early. It requires a lot of changing and a lot of separate washings but my animals are well worth the trouble. Later Joel
Old 08-14-09, 10:29 AM   #14
Will0W783

Thanks Joel. I am going to have a fecal sample run by my herp vet before I treat him, so I won't give him harsh meds unnecessarily.
Old 08-15-09, 10:01 AM   #15
Joel La Rocque

Hi New friends:
I regret that I find it necessary to leave this group and go back to life in the Lab with my friends. I am afraid I let my temper get away with my on the subject of Venomoids and for the sake of my blood pressure I will leave this stuff to you guys. I am sure that my email address is here somewhere so if I can ever be of service to any one just give me a yell. It was very nice talking (so to speak) with you all. Joel
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
antibiotics, deworming, home remedies, vet