border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-09, 11:08 PM   #1
SweetDreams444

Talking My New Black Back!!

Heyy! Just today (Sunday, March 15th, 2009), I went to J & J Reptiles (a reptile store in my city) and purchased a [roughly] 7 month old male Black Back ball python. He's amazing, and sooo cool, I can't wait to start handling him! He doesn't have a name yet, but we're thinking either Buddy or Cookie, or something that sounds like a sweetheart name. Cuz ball pythons aren't mean like so many people think. =]
Login to remove ads
Old 03-16-09, 02:57 AM   #2
Chu'Wuti

Re: My New Black Back!!

Sweet! I'd love to see pics of this guy; haven't seen that morph in person myself, only the pics Kevin McCurley has in his text. Are you thinking of breeding in the future?

I know you're dying to handle him, bu let him chill for a week before you start; he's pretty stressed from the big move.

Welcome to the forum, too!
Old 03-16-09, 11:07 PM   #3
SweetDreams444

Thanks, Chu'Wuti! Yea, we're thinking of possibly breeding him-hopefully with a female Black Back, or possibly a different morph. A female Black Back only because if they were to breed, their offspring would be Red Axanthics. I'll try to get pics of him up when I start handling him!
Old 03-17-09, 09:04 AM   #4
siz

Awesome can't wait to see him!!
Old 03-17-09, 11:19 AM   #5
DeesBalls
Formerly Lil_Boa

ill be getting a new ball thurday! i cant wait.. its a normal ball, but its got a lil bit of orange on em.
Old 03-18-09, 08:10 PM   #6
mykee
Super Genius

Ok, did you purchase a black back, or a het red axanthic? The names are really interchangable within respected breeders. Is it possible that you may have been ripped off by a less-than-respectable pet store? Many pet stores sell normal ball pythons as black backs, but true "black bakcs" is another name for a het red axanthic, originated and produced by Corey Woods.
Do you have a pic, or would you mind divulging what you paid for him?
Old 03-18-09, 11:07 PM   #7
SweetDreams444

I'm not sure...he could be a Black Back, or a het. Red Axanthic....I paid $200 (I think?) for him. They had two there that were young like mine who had strong Clown [morph] genes. I really wanted one of them, and I think my mom did too, but they were $600. No matter what morph my baby boy is, I still love him. =]

P.S. He has a name now! It's Ziggy.=]
Old 03-19-09, 05:07 PM   #8
Chu'Wuti

So Corey Woods bred two black backs together and got the het red axanthics? Apparently not quite the same thing, if I understand his comments correctly, but I'm a little confused by his pics which still look like Black Backs to inexperienced me. I wonder what the genetic difference is?? His het red axanthics are pricey: $10,000 for males, $15,000 for females--ouch. At any rate, very cool snake!
Old 03-19-09, 07:45 PM   #9
mykee
Super Genius

Chu, Corey hasn't updated his website since 2004. Het red axanthics are now around $400-$600. Het reds, when bred together can produce red axanthics. Het reds are also called black backs WITHIN the community, that does not include pet stores for the most part, where all prices of normal ball pythons are grossly inflated to first-time ball python owners. Some pet stores will call abberant normals by loads of different names to "trick" a buyer into buying a normal ball python for morph prices. This is what I think has happened to young SweetDreams here. I hope this is not the case as it pisses me off to no end to see new hobbyists screwed over for a profit.
I am also still wondering what a "strong clown gene" is. I own clowns and they still come in around $2500 with hets ranging from $400-$700.
Old 03-19-09, 07:47 PM   #10
Chu'Wuti

Ahhh . . . that's really good info to know. ALL of it! Thanks for continuing my education, Mykee! I really appreciate you!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-20-09, 09:40 AM   #11
mykee
Super Genius

Chu; if you can get past the fact that I am a condescending, ignorant, rude, obnoxious a$$hole prick, I have been known to hit one out of the park every now and then.
Old 03-20-09, 10:43 AM   #12
Faequine

Send a message via MSN to Faequine

isnt there suposed to be a pic? of a snake somewhere here?
Old 03-20-09, 11:32 AM   #13
SweetDreams444

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee View Post
Chu, Corey hasn't updated his website since 2004. Het red axanthics are now around $400-$600. Het reds, when bred together can produce red axanthics. Het reds are also called black backs WITHIN the community, that does not include pet stores for the most part, where all prices of normal ball pythons are grossly inflated to first-time ball python owners. Some pet stores will call abberant normals by loads of different names to "trick" a buyer into buying a normal ball python for morph prices. This is what I think has happened to young SweetDreams here. I hope this is not the case as it pisses me off to no end to see new hobbyists screwed over for a profit.
I am also still wondering what a "strong clown gene" is. I own clowns and they still come in around $2500 with hets ranging from $400-$700.
The ones we saw first would have Clown offspring, that's what I meant. They were $600. But, the owner (manager? Not sure which lolz) breeds the snakes for the store by himself, they don't get them from breeders. We were lucky to find a young(ish) one.
Old 03-20-09, 12:16 PM   #14
mykee
Super Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDreams444 View Post
The ones we saw first would have Clown offspring, that's what I meant. They were $600. But, the owner (manager? Not sure which lolz) breeds the snakes for the store by himself, they don't get them from breeders. We were lucky to find a young(ish) one.
I can only assume that you mean that the snakes were het clowns. If that is also the case, het clowns bred together will give you a 25% chance of producing a clown offspring per egg. I do not know of this J&J Reptiles you speak of, and I know nothing of their reputation, but I sincerely hope you didn't end up with the poopy end of the stick on this one.
Post a pic and I can tell you for sure if you bought a het red axanthic (which I do not feel you did for the price you paid) or if you do have a het red.
Enjoy him regardless and read all you can to keep him healthy and happy.
Old 03-20-09, 02:58 PM   #15
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
Chu; if you can get past the fact that I am a condescending, ignorant, rude, obnoxious a$$hole prick, I have been known to hit one out of the park every now and then.
Hah! I never considered you any of those things in the first place! That was other people who 1) couldn't see under the words you sometimes used to the passion you have for snakes, not me; and 2) were so far beyond you in those qualities (especially the "ignorant, rude, obnoxious a$$hole prick" qualities) that you ended up not qualifying for them! LOL!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
back, ball, black, male, python