border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-08, 05:06 AM   #1
tgimp1

Exclamation my new ball python

hello everyone i am new to this site but am so happy i found it! i bought my first ball python 3 days ago. i have him in a glass terrarium with a hide spot on the both the cool and warm side of the tank with aspen as a substrate and a waterbowl in the middle. since i brought him home he has remained hidden under his hide on the warm side and hasnt come out at any stage.is this normal? i have not handled him yet to give him time to acclimatise to his new home but he is due to be fed tomorrow as it is a week since he last ate. i plan to feed him in a plastic tub tommorrow with a thawed small mouse which is the correct food i have been told by the pet shop.my last question is how long after eating should i leave him in plastic tub as i dont want to risk him regurgitating his food during the transfer back to his tank. any help guys it would be much appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-03-08, 06:47 PM   #2
Finn

Re: my new ball python

Oookk so first welcome to the site^.^
It sounds like he's just a little frightened from the big move and everything...once you start handling him he won't hide so much. (and their nocturnal right? So its normal for him to be sleeping in his hide in the day) once you finnish feeding him I would just pick up the tub and put it in the tank (if its not too big) and then remove it after he gets out...my snake lets me pick him up and place him in his tank after feeding.
Old 10-03-08, 08:11 PM   #3
jyjy103

Re: my new ball python

i have a BP and when got him home he did the same thing he was spooked the good thing was when i tried to feed him he took it right away and when you try to feed him if he dont not to worry to much it could take a while for him to get comfortable to his new home letting him relax and not touching him is good but dont not touch him for a long period of time he needs to start to get to know you and to trust you and it will also help with him getting comfortable enough to eat im sure all will go well and good luck and hope all is well and as for after he eats take him out very gently and put him on the warm side of the tank he nneds the heat (basking) helps with digestion just support his body and put him back in as soon as the mouse is gone and hes not swallowing anymore and after he eats remember not to handle for atleast 4 to 5 days im sure you will get it try going on to google look up Ball Pythons and read up on them im still a newbie aswell im still reading but you will learn how to do things that work your way

ps dont get worried if he dont eat

Last edited by jyjy103; 10-03-08 at 08:17 PM..
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, feeding, hide