border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-06, 05:07 PM   #1
kristin21

Send a message via Yahoo to kristin21
Question Need info on keeping hot snakes!

I'm interested in keeping and possibly breeding hot snakes to milk. I've been having trouble finding the information i need on the internet and am hoping that someone might be of assistance or know where to find above mentioned information. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated since this is something i've been contemplating and researching for several years. Thank you.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-25-06, 11:15 AM   #2
BWSmith

If you heve never kept venomous before, then there is no need even entertaining the idea of milking them at this point (most likely ever).

Before you keep hots:
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68577
Old 01-25-06, 11:50 AM   #3
lubricus

Why would you want to milk HOTs do you run a venom research laboratory? I'm sure you dont because you wouldn't be here asking such a thing!!! I f your not capable of finding ifo on how to keep venomous snakes on the internet then you definitely need to stick with corn snakes!!!!
Old 01-25-06, 02:26 PM   #4
kristin21

just because i'm having trouble finding information on here doesn't mean i shouldn't do it. No, i don't have a research labrotory. The reason i want to do this though is because i have a genuine love of these animals and a healthy respect for them too. And for the record i don't keep corn snakes, i keep rosy boas and used to take them around to elemntry school classes and give presentaitons on them when i, myself was still in school! My animals are my life and i want to know everything i can before venturing into something i'm unfamiliar with. That is why i am asking if anyone can help me, not for any other reason. I would hope that people could give positive advice instead of negative critisim and do nothing more than every one else does by discouraging someone who wants nothing more than to do something positve and productive. Thank you.

~Kristin~
Old 01-25-06, 02:32 PM   #5
BWSmith

read the book
Old 01-25-06, 02:45 PM   #6
lubricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin21
I'm interested in keeping and possibly breeding hot snakes to milk.
Why on earth would you put your life on the line to milk venomous snakes!!!! maybe you should do a search on what happens to people when they are invenomated! maybe you should rethink the hole thing!!..I had some good examples for you but for some reason i cant put pics here.. OK nevermind it worked

Last edited by lubricus; 01-25-06 at 04:47 PM..
Old 01-25-06, 03:16 PM   #7
lubricus

Ok I guess the hole milking thing made me upset.....I think that its grate that you are doing your research first. try Google you'll finde lots of good ifo that way.......this is a pic of my rhino viper a mistake with a snake like this can and probably will end your life. I WOULD NEVER MILK A SNAKE LIKE THIS......venom research labs have there own venom bank...
Old 01-25-06, 03:20 PM   #8
kristin21

i do know the risks!

When i was younger, I came very close to being bitten by a rattlesnake at a sumer camp. I was scared and froze until one of the counselors picked me up and shooed the rest of the group away. I know i was lucky because of the remote location of the camp and of how small and young i was. Not to mention i've been bitten by numerous spiders that created awful scars and such. Also, i did excise the wounds myself to remove the dead tissue from the brown recluse bites! I know the risks. Graphic pictures are nothing i haven't seen before. Like i said i research everthing thouroughly before i do anything! If you don't have anything helpful to say, please hold your tongue- you're not going to dissuade me!
Old 01-25-06, 03:24 PM   #9
BWSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin21
If you don't have anything helpful to say, please hold your tongue- you're not going to dissuade me!
That is the wrong attitude to have from the beginning. Without an open mind, I fear for your safety.
Old 01-25-06, 03:35 PM   #10
kristin21

A redirect in regard to my attitude

I'm not saying i'm ignoring the risks, simply that i'm used to being told that i can't do things either because i'm a girl or because i'm too small- that i don't have the physicall strength or whatever. I know my limitations, physicall or whatever. I'm highly intelligent and would never do anything that i deemed too dangerous or out of my reach either from skill or whatever. All i want at this point is to collect information. Thank you.

~Kristin~
Login to remove ads
Old 01-25-06, 03:43 PM   #11
cantil

I'm going to assume that this post is a troll but none-the-less...
1) there is an EXTREMELY limited market for venom and that market is by and large supplied by people who are already in the business (I suggest an article from Reptiles Magazine about Jim Harrisons venom lab in Kentucky if you want to do some background reading)
2)venom used for antivenin(om) must be extracted/processed/stored in laboratory conditions, setting up a lab suitable for this in all likelyhood would run in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars
3) if you have a genuine love for keeping and working with hot snakes the LAST thing you want to do is milk them. This is an extremely stressful and risky process which should only be done on the basis of absolute necessity... snakes will often go off food when restrained and subjected to the stresses of milking (or force feeding or anything else necessitating head restraint)
4)lastly (and again I'm assuming this post is a troll) being bitten by spiders shows a lack of caution and common sense which defies description. I know individuals with literally thousands of spiders who have never been bitten and spiders do not (generally, with the possible exception of pheuneutria spp.) pose anywhere near the husbandry challenges associated with working with many venomous snakes (if the spiders to which you refered were not part of a private collection ignore this last part

If the vast wealth of experience which the other individuals on this forum impart still can't disuade you, before even considering undertaking a process which requires direct physical contact with venomous snakes try to find someone experienced who can let you at least work venomous snakes in a supervised environment.

The reason we all try to disuade people from keeping these animals is that everytime someone chooses to and gets hurt it jeopardizes all of us who've been doing it for a while by way of greater restrictions or stricter enforcement of preexisting laws. If we all try to talk someone out of keeping hot snakes, and they do it anyway....well its there life and either they can cut it or they can't....but at least by evaluating their reasons for keeping these animals and, in there own head, dealing with the counter arguments we raised they'll (hopefully) be better prepared to deal with the challenges these animals present which we've already had to deal with.

Last edited by cantil; 01-25-06 at 03:46 PM..
Old 01-25-06, 04:09 PM   #12
lubricus

Awesome post cantil... Its hard to take good advice when the forum is coming down on you, Kristin you realy need to stop and take a "thought brake" take it from me that's some good advice. I hope that you still continue to have an interest in HOTs and continue to absorb all the information you can, but I dont believe your ready for HOTs at this point.
Old 01-25-06, 06:18 PM   #13
kristin21

Another attempt to redirect!

Please note that my initial post said 'I am interested," not that i was planning on running out tomorrow and purchasing such an animal tomorrow. I am simply trying to gather all the information i can. All i asked for is help with that. I understand the risks involved, and really am not in need of the critisism for my asking. I don't understand why i am being regarded as someone who is acting impulsivly or some stupid kid who thinks they can just keep such an animal as a pet. I would greatly appreciate it if y'all could at least acknowledge that i am an intelligent woman who is simply trying to gather as much information as possible on this subject and would greatly appreciate any that could be given. I don't need critisim or people trying to talk me out of this. Again, this is something being CONSIDERED. Thank you.

~Kristin~
Old 01-25-06, 06:29 PM   #14
Iggy&Roxi

Well Kristin,
You've definitly handled yourself quite well considering all the negativity you've gotten for your inquiry. These people are only looking out for whats best, and yes, they are sometimes quick to assume the worst. Your best bet is to just look on the net as best as you can and go from there. These guys will never agree with you because they are aware of the dangers, as I'm sure you are. The Lord only knows why on earth you would ever want to do it anyway, but hey to each his own.
Chao
Old 01-25-06, 06:45 PM   #15
lubricus

The hole milking a venomous snake-thing was the red-flag!!! Maybe if you take the time to review this thread, you'll see you were given some guidance as to where to search for your information! did you really think that you were going to be coached over the internet on HOW TO KEEP HOTs!!!? I already told you your not ready yet not even close, that's not a bad thing it just means you need to do a lot more research. pleas reread Cantils post, well your at it reread this hole thead!!!!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread