border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-03, 06:17 PM   #1
Shane Tesser

I Managed to get rid of black algae!!!

For about sixth months i had been faced with the worst battle of an introduced pest that i have ever seen in my life. I imported some Rams...with them came i presume from their guts black algae. Black algae, which is actually part of the red algae family (figure that one out) is probably one, if not the worst one out there. In recent years i had heard and read about it taking over more and more ppls tanks. Complete tear downs wouldnt rid the tank of the stuff. Often it is passed in the form of spores from the fish, plants etc.

I thought i would write some of my findings as i might be able to help someone else before they are attacked. First off, ill try and describe what it looks like. Its often refered to as black hair brush algae. It basically looks like very fine tuffs of black hair. If you disturb it, the spore enter the water and freely flow around the tank. So simply put...removing a leaf or an item covered will not help it. This stuff was growing like mad in the filter which i had assumed would be a problem in the first place. It quickly takes over the tank. Now if you have one like mine...over six years old since first set up...150 gallons...and packed with some rare and delicate plants...you will have to move fast. The first month of the attach i saw very little of it. I increased water changes and filter clean outs in hope that the plants would be able to overcome the growth of the pest. Well it didnt, and after only about three weeks the algae had taken over the plants and nearly chocked to death the entire tank. I cut like mad, and lost about 50% of what i had. So after trying every method on earth i decided to chemically clean the tank....bad idea, i lost more plants...mostly fine leafed delicate ones, and it did not touch the algae!

I was about ready to give up when i sat down and really did my homework on this stuff. It turns out there is actually a fish that will not only eat the stuff...but it will devour it! The siamese algae eater. Its one that in my area i often see, but even more so, see incorrectly. If you really do your homework on this fish, youll find what i found. There is basically three fish that are sold under this name. 1) The real siamese algae eater. 2) The false siamese algae eater 3) Flying foxes. In my local stores i found lots of them for sale....none that were the real thing however!!! This went on for months infact....in the meantime..day to day the tank was getting worse. After about three months i found some. At my witts end i managed to find a tank full of them. A little hefty in price but i was desperate...so i said to myself...this is your last chance...and i purchased all 18 of them!

These things once in the tank literally started eating it immediately! Within days it was gone. It has now been two months in time and im happy to report that there is no black algae in my tank. My plants are well on the rebound...and i have 18 very large siamese algae eaters lol!!!

Sorry this is one big run on sentence...but i wanted to shed some light on the topic. I will include a link for anyone who is also suffering in silence as to the proper identification of these amazing fish. Currently some are now about three inches in length. They are in with small fish such as cardinals and i have had zero problems with them. They are busy, lively and great looking. Good luck to anyone that has the same problems....but i give you my word...here is your cure

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
Login to remove ads
Old 08-06-03, 09:01 PM   #2
Youkai

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
That must have put a dent in the 'ol pocket book.

I have yet to see that kind around here, and I've looked. Always flying foxes...

Glad yours solved your problem!
Old 08-07-03, 05:27 AM   #3
corr

Great news Shane!

I gave up long ago trying to find the true Siamese Algae Eater. It's good to know that they really work!
Old 08-07-03, 08:36 AM   #4
MartinW

Congrats Shane! I'll keep that in mind in case I get some black algae.

Martin
Old 08-07-03, 10:58 AM   #5
Darlene

Send a message via MSN to Darlene Send a message via Yahoo to Darlene
Wonderful news !! Congrats & bet you are very relieved.
Only Chinese Algae Eaters around here but perhaps it's time to start pestering for others.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-07-03, 12:57 PM   #6
Andrew

Send a message via AIM to Andrew
Could you possibly post a picture of the true siamese algae eater because my 55 gallon is having the problem with black algae and I really want to get rid of it.
Old 08-07-03, 07:01 PM   #7
XxRachxX

congrats
i have one of those hillstream loaches theyre really cute, i only have one and hes not even fully grown.. about 1", i only have a small tank though, about 30 gallons. he seems to do a pretty good job at keeping things clean! hes always munchin!

what i dont really get is, what does algae do?? does it kill the plants then?

Last edited by XxRachxX; 08-07-03 at 07:12 PM..
Old 08-08-03, 05:02 AM   #8
Shane Tesser

Severe algae will coat plants leafs and stems. It will do so often enough that the plant cannot compete for light and will parish. Not to mention that in a heavily planted tank its just plain unsightly :P.
Old 08-08-03, 09:37 AM   #9
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I wanted to say I don't have black algae but I had some of that green and brown stuff. A few people, including wonderful Mr. Tesser gave me some pointers and I am happy to say I haven't had *any* growing in about four weeks or so now.

I reduced the light to no more than 7-8 hours per day, only one feeding for the dumb guppies half as much as before. No more algae. I also added more plants. Obivously Shanes problem was more serious than mine but I was surprised how much a light schedual adjustment could help. And all my plants are still going good!

Marisa
Old 08-09-03, 06:26 AM   #10
Shane Tesser

Andrew...here is the pics of the true Siamese Algae eaters....sorry, not the clearest of pics...they guys dont stop moving lol!!!

The black horizontal line is where you really want to look on the fishes body for identification. For more reference on that....refer to the link that i provided in the original post. Good luck with your removal Andrew
Login to remove ads
Old 08-09-03, 06:29 AM   #11
Shane Tesser

Marisa...your light amount was a large contributing factor yes. Most tanks can run up to 14 hours with full light daily. Your newer schedule of water changes and less feeding was the biggest improvement to your algae plight....over feeding and lack of water changes is usually where the brown algae comes from...the dark green is a light condition. Regardless, im glad to see that the tank has improved
Old 08-10-03, 08:05 AM   #12
corr

Shane's link to the Krib is the best ID tool on the net for these guys (and their imposters). This is the first time I've actually seen a pic of a really one though. Thanks Shane!

Are you lookin to get rid of any? Maybe you can breed them.
Old 08-11-03, 07:11 PM   #13
Shane Tesser

Maybe ill give the breeding a shot for you corr. But if you want some...let me know before the next show..im sure i can arrange something with you
Old 08-16-03, 01:40 PM   #14
Pia

That's an excellent link Shane, thanks. It's also nice to hear of someone who has had first hand experience with these guys.