border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-03, 11:36 PM   #1
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
How to figure out how many fish?

How do you know how many fish you can have in an aqaurium? I read only that its something like one inch per fish per gallon? That's seems a little "wives tale" ish to me but maybe its true....

?

Marisa
Login to remove ads
Old 07-09-03, 11:39 PM   #2
eyespy

It's true!! Anything more means there's a lot of ammonia being pumped out into the water and could compromise the health of all the tankmates.

http://www.thebeardedlady.org
Old 07-10-03, 12:39 AM   #3
Youkai

Send a message via ICQ to Youkai Send a message via AIM to Youkai Send a message via MSN to Youkai
It is an old wives' tale for the most part. Line up 10 neon tetras, and put those beside a 10" oscar....big diffence.

They key is really to use <i>mass</i> of fish, but I forget the calculation. Basically, the 1" of fish per gallon <i>sort of</i> works with itty bitty fish. Neons, harlequin rasboras, white clouds, etc etc.

But what I usually do is use common sense, and understock tanks. No reason to cram them into their tanks like sardines.
Old 07-10-03, 01:41 PM   #4
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
I totally agree. I want to avoid any overcrowding for sure!

Right now I have 6 fancy guppys (lol) in my ten gallon. That's all for fish. To me they seem very happy with the space but my boyfriend and I were talking about some neon tetras and I think I will wait until my guppys have lived out their lives then go for tetras. thanks

Marisa
Old 07-25-03, 08:23 PM   #5
Oliverian

Send a message via MSN to Oliverian
Probably a good idea. But, if your guppies are a mixed-sex group, watch out! Those things reproduce like bunnies! I started with two females and a male and I now have so many that I have to keep giving the babies away. But they sure are cute!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-25-03, 08:29 PM   #6
Chris Steele

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Steele Send a message via AIM to Chris Steele Send a message via MSN to Chris Steele Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Steele
I have been thinking of getting a fish tank. I also want some information on their breeding...Which common types have live birth? What do I do to protect the babies? Also I bought a book and have been reading alot in it trying to decide what kind/s to get, do you guys have any suggestions?

1.4 Anery Corns het. Amel, Hypo, and Motley
1.3.3 Bantam Chickens
1.4 Eastern Boxies
1.4 Mice breeding

CSH
Closed Thread