border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-03, 09:15 AM   #1
jncoclub

fishing in the outdoors

I normally am in the snake forums, but I have a question and I thought you all would know: Fishing in lakes/ponds/ocean/etc- does it hurt the fish to get caught and reeled in on a hook and line? If it swims away just fine after being tossed back in, is it safe to say that it’ll live, or can it still easily die? Sorry to ask this of you fish keepers, (I have a beta if that helps), no hurt feelings intended. I’m sure every animal has feelings, but I’m not really looking for the “poor fish” responses.
Thanks!
:atom:

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-03, 09:35 AM   #2
corr

"Do fish feel pain?" has been an ongoing debate for years. Noone knows for sure but I think they do, they're just a lot more tolerant and have better healing abilities than we do. With that said, I don't like the thought of fishing for sport. If you're going to fish, eat it. Poor fish!
Old 06-04-03, 01:32 PM   #3
jncoclub

We recently moved to CT where there is NOTHING to do other than run around outside and enjoy the land, so we've taken up fishing. My roommate grew up in GA where he would fish/hunt/etc. and my fiance was an Eagle Scout where he learned to do the same. We all agreed that what you catch and keep- you have to eat. So when I caught a 3 pound large mouth bass (named Mr. Sniffy) I had to be the one to gut and clean it. It was a horrible experience, but I wasn't going to be all girly and not do it. I hated the whole thing, but I feel that I have learned a good skill. That's what initially sparked my question.
God bless Mr. Sniffy, god bless....

How do I set my laser printer to 'stun'?
Old 06-05-03, 02:19 AM   #4
Shane Tesser

I think they feel pain. If youve ever taken a hook out of a mouth..you can see them squirm and open theyre mouths...somewhat the same look i think we would have. I think some fish it can damage the bone or cartalidge stucture in the mouth...or even more so in the gills or throat. I guess its like anything else, pain is pain no matter how you look at it. As for permanent damage...depends on how long they are out of the water i guess. That, and if they have damaged their mouths, they may swim off and look fine, but i often wonder if it cause eating problems later on. I guess the debate will go on and on
Old 06-20-03, 12:23 PM   #5
17730turtlegirl

Send a message via MSN to 17730turtlegirl
i think it does hurt the fish but their probably all right after if your not one of those people who knock the fish out before you remove the hook

good luck with your betta
Login to remove ads
Old 06-20-03, 02:08 PM   #6
crazyboy

Send a message via ICQ to crazyboy
it is prolly painful but most survive

it is safe to throw back fish that have been hooked in the lip if they werehooked in the stomach then most likely they will die

they actually came outwith a new hook that automatically sets into their lips
Old 06-20-03, 03:44 PM   #7
HeatherRose

Send a message via MSN to HeatherRose
I found two articles/studies on 'fish pain' ...one for each 'school' of thought...lmao...slap me later :|

'They Don't'

'They Do'

Enjoy guys...
Old 06-20-03, 03:53 PM   #8
Ed_r

They have to feel pain. If not they wouldn't fight like they do when you set the hook. Many die after being caught, I've hooked some through the eyes, sinus cavity, and of course the ever lovely time when they swallow it in ther belly and you can't even see the hook. Plus also when your handling it trying to remove the hook, you removing the protective slime of the fish.

CPR (catch, photo release) is a nice practice in theory, but when you look at what actually happens to a caught fish, the chances of long time survival are slim. Unles you can remove the hook very quickly with minimal handling.
Old 07-07-03, 11:19 PM   #9
Crusty

Fishing rules,set the hook and reel'em in! It's only newbie's that hurt them. If you fish with the right size tackle and barbless hooks according to the size & species you are fishing for, the fish remain virtually un-harmed and rarely swallow the hook. SURE THEY FEEL PAIN, every living thing does DUH! Fisherman are the least of a fishes worry, what about pollutions,diseases and other predators
Old 08-05-03, 11:33 AM   #10
Canadaherp

heh i fish barbless nad ell i fish and i only keep the fish that do swallow the hook, if theyre not big enough, they get turned into catfish bait and everythings fine

-Erik
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread