border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-17, 09:03 AM   #1
LightHawk

Enclosure recommendation

While researching colombian rainbow boa(Epicrates cenchria maurus) enclosures I found that multible people discouraged getting enclosures made from glass because of the increased heatloss.
but what I couldnt find was recommendations on what type of enclosures would be preferd for colombian rainbow boa`s.

personaly I was thinking of a wood watertight terrarium or a plastic terrarium with dimentions of: 150cm x 60cm x 60cm (about 5x2x2)
but Id love to get some suggestions and info on the subject!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-13-17, 11:05 AM   #2
DJC Reptiles

Re: Enclosure recommendation

Yes that will do fine, just make sure to avoid cedar and pine for wood. I also recommend 3-4+ coats on the water proofing as humidity will tear down a cage after a while. Also make sure the water proofing is non toxic as to not hurt your animal. If you are looking for commercially available cages, Vision and NPI cages are both good choices.
Old 11-14-17, 11:25 AM   #3
Jim Smith

If you can get a PVC enclosure of that size, it will work perfectly. The PVC is impervious to moisture and resists staining from feces and urates. Front opening enclosures tend to hold the humidity better than top opening ones and allow full viewing through the transparent plexiglass or glass door(s).
Old 11-14-17, 05:34 PM   #4
jjhill001

Glass enclosures don't lose heat or humidity any faster than plastic or wooden enclosures due to being made of glass. Its the large screen lids that usually accompany the glass enclosures. The thicknesses of material we use in enclosure construction are so small that there is very little actual difference in heat loss.

You can get really well ventilated wooden and plastic enclosures that don't hold heat very well at all.

Now, for that size enclosure you are looking for PVC is definitely the way to go. Moving a 5 foot long aquarium sucks. The largest glass enclosure I'd recommend is the 36x18x18in exo terra/nat geo for snakes. Maybe something taller but its gonna start getting heavy fast.
Old 11-15-17, 06:25 AM   #5
dannybgoode

I have started moving all my animals over to a viv made from a lightweight pvc that is about 10mm thick. Really nice vivs - very strong but much lighter than anything made of wood or glass.

They also allow excellent control of heat and humidity.

I am putting my 6' Chilabothrus angulifer (Cuban boa) in as 5*2*2 viv and he is the same length and girth pretty much as a Columbian rainbow so I think you'll do well with an enclosure that size.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 11-17-17, 04:06 PM   #6
murrindindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Yes that will do fine, just make sure to avoid cedar and pine for wood. I also recommend 3-4+ coats on the water proofing as humidity will tear down a cage after a while. Also make sure the water proofing is non toxic as to not hurt your animal. If you are looking for commercially available cages, Vision and NPI cages are both good choices.

Hi, "pine" is perfectly acceptable (safe) to use once it`s been sealed.
Old 11-17-17, 10:24 PM   #7
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrindindi View Post
Hi, "pine" is perfectly acceptable (safe) to use once it`s been sealed.
Yes, but there are so many better types of wood. Pine is a soft wood and will get scratches and show wear more easily. Why risk it anyway, there are so many better options like oak.
Old 11-18-17, 01:29 AM   #8
dannybgoode

Quote:
Yes, but there are so many better types of wood. Pine is a soft wood and will get scratches and show wear more easily. Why risk it anyway, there are so many better options like oak.
Weight for one. Oak is incredibly heavy. Ease of working with for another. Pine is much easier to cut, shape and join.

I don't know any viv maker in the UK who would build out of Oak over pine if I'm honest (although nearly all would use some form of plastic laminate chip board ultimately).
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Closed Thread

Tags
colombian rainbow boa, enclosures