border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-17, 11:34 AM   #1
TheVoid

Stinky Snake

When I started to handle my ball python, I noticed that he smelt a little bad... I always spot clean when I can, and I'm planning to change his substrate soon... is there any way I could give him a bath? I would hate for him to be unhealthy in any way. If so, how should I go about cleaning him?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-17, 03:15 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Stinky Snake

I've never given any of my snakes baths. If he got poop on him I guess you could put him in a very shallow tub of lukewarm water. Or just get a damp towel and let him slither through it.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-18-17, 04:03 PM   #3
Tiny Boidae

My snakes sometimes smell. The rat snake will poop where he's sitting and won't be bothered to move, even though the rest of the enclosure is clean. I tried to bathe him after that once and never again. I just wouldn't bother unless there's feces caked on him.
Old 06-18-17, 10:50 PM   #4
sattva

Ya... My George will pee where he lays and doesn't even both to move... If he stinks too bad, I'll put him in a tube of lukewarm water to soak and that seems to do the trick...

My little Blue Eyed Leucistic Ball Python being all white... She will need a bath once in awhile... I picked up her hide the other day, and she was wrapped around poop like it was a clutch of eggs... Into the tub she goes... I think a little soak is good for them now and then, and they seem to like it once they realize what's going on...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 06-19-17, 12:29 AM   #5
Magdalen

I'm fascinated that a snake can be smelly. I'm not sure why other than I've never had a smelly snake. Or maybe my other animals just have worse smells haha
Login to remove ads
Old 06-19-17, 01:09 AM   #6
toddnbecka

I've soaked a few of my snakes in a tub of lukewarm water when they had dried urates on their skin, aside from being placed into a tub they didn't object, and settled right down for a nice soak.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 06-20-17, 12:52 AM   #7
SerpentineDream

Most of my snakes don't smell at all. However the ball pythons for some reason are quite careless about where they put themselves after a poo and will occasionally lie in it. Even if there's no visible poo on them sometimes they stink.

As mentioned above, nothing a lukewarm soak won't fix. Just don't dunk their heads. You don't want them aspirating water.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Closed Thread

Tags
bath