border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-17, 08:34 PM   #1
trini_helipilot

Send a message via ICQ to trini_helipilot Send a message via Yahoo to trini_helipilot Send a message via Skype™ to trini_helipilot
Question Columbian dehydration?

So lately my RB has been staying in her hide more often than usual. My heat lamp is down, idk if this can be the leading factor, but her spinal bone is becoming more blatant. Her skin is squishy and she seems dehydrated. She recently shed and it was a perfect one, humidity and temperature are perfect as i am from the caribbean. Does is seem as if she is actually dehydrated? If so, whats the best way to rehydrate her?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-13-17, 06:53 AM   #2
SnoopySnake

Re: Columbian dehydration?

Would need photos to really say for sure. Heat lamps really dry out the enclosure so it's definitely a possibility but the spine showing sounds more like it's a bit underweight. I know you say temps and humidity are fine but could you tell what they are? Not doubting you, just want to be sure is all
Old 04-13-17, 07:23 PM   #3
trini_helipilot

Send a message via ICQ to trini_helipilot Send a message via Yahoo to trini_helipilot Send a message via Skype™ to trini_helipilot

The humidity is usually around 60% and temps are usually around 26-31 degrees Celsius. I'll consider feeding her slightly bigger mice over the next month and see how she responds with respect to weight. Thanks @snoopy. I'll try to post pics soon to keep you updated!
Old 04-14-17, 04:43 PM   #4
BillyCostume

60% is too low for a Columbiian rainbow. 80% would be suitable. How old is your boa? Babies can dehydrate a lot quicker than adults. Best of luck they are beautiful snakes
Old 04-14-17, 11:37 PM   #5
trini_helipilot

Okay ill install a fogger and maintain a higher humidity. Shr is just shy of 2 years, i'll get some pics up asap! Thanks @billy
Login to remove ads
Old 04-15-17, 01:52 AM   #6
dannybgoode

Some foggers do little to raise humidity. What substrate are you using and what type of enclosure is it? The combination of those two generally have the biggest impact on humidity.

As for misting systems can you get hold of MistKing where you are? By far and away the best misting system going. Some of the foggers that just produce a visual fog effect actually don't do much else!
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-15-17, 05:58 AM   #7
SnoopySnake

Don't really have much else to add, would have to see the snake, feeding schedule and enclosure to make recommendations as far as food size and how to maintain higher humidity. Humidity should stay at least at 80% but I let mine get higher.
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, dehydrated, dehydration, rainbow, water