sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-17, 01:40 PM   #1
Aurora Borealis

What watt RHP should I put in PVC?

Hello!

I'm planning on buying a pvc for my lovely 2014 female Kahl sunglow. What watt heat panel should i purchase ? The room is heated with baseboard heaters, if that makes any difference.
Also I am planning to get a herpstat with it. I've never had heat probes going into the terrarium. Where to put it and how to keep it secured ? I know tape is a no no, and I want to make sure everything is safe and easy to clean.
Lastly, if I'm getting a heat panel, what height should the pvc terra be ? Would 4x2x16 be comfortable for a non breeding adult female bci ?

Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 03-07-17, 04:37 PM   #2
jossh27

Re: What watt RHP should I put in PVC?

I'm building a 2x4x18 for each of my boas and using a 40watt rbi panel in each. I bought from a distributor and he helped me choose what wattage ill need- call or email the manufacturer and they should be able to help you out better than any of us. You're going to need to know ambient temperatures of the room for winter and summer months so they can assist you best
Old 03-07-17, 08:39 PM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I think I'd go with a 65w or 80w RHP in a 4x2. Better too much than not enough.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 03-08-17, 02:31 AM   #4
toddnbecka

I put 80w RHP's in my T-10's, and simply drilled a suitable size hole in the side for the herpstat probes. Some probes are placed on the substrate, some simply set just about flush (inside) with the pvc. Larger heat panels give you more potential, the t-stat will regulate the temp and wattage as necessary.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 03-08-17, 02:33 AM   #5
sattva

Hope this helps!

Which size do I need?
We have tested the 40 watt phereanel in several 2'x4' cage designs including our own PVC and various thicknesses of plywood. Participants in this test have also included ARBREPTILES (Clay Davenport), Boamaster (Mark Venhorst) and other private breeders. We have all reached pretty much the same guidelines.

In a 2x4 cage that is 12" tall or less in a room temp of 75° F+ you will see good results with the 40 watt RHP. The taller the cage the more likely you will want to set up basking sites that are elevated and closer to the RHP to give your animals a gradient. Generally taller cages 18" or taller are set up for arboreal use so this is not a problem. If your room temp is lower than 74 F or your cage is 12"+ you may want to move up to the 80 watt.

Cages less than 2'x4' will generally work well with the 40 watt panel. Once again, height and room temp is a determining factor. We have had very good success with several Ball Python keepers in the Northern parts of the US using the 80 watt panel in our 2x3 cages. While normally a bit much for this size cage we have found this combination to work very well in the cooler room temps often found in these areas with the higher temp requirements of these snakes. Make sure you use a thermostat!

If your cage falls into the 2'x4' or 2'x6' range you will want to upgrade to the 80 watt panel. The 120 watt panel is for generally for larger cages 2'x6' or larger, open air enclosures or cool room temperatures. The 160 watt panel is intended for 6' and 8' cages. When in doubt you can move to the next higher wattage, just make sure you use that thermostat!

Where I got this from! Radiant Heat Panel FAQ: Reptile Products You Can Trust | Reptile Basics Inc
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, boa care, boa constrictor