border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-16, 06:51 PM   #1
theMailSquirrel

Good Monitor Lizard to own?

I bought my bearded dragon a few weeks ago and love taking care of him and such. Once he grows out of his current enclosure I was thinking of getting a dwarf monitor specifically an ackie. I just started getting into reptiles and I've done some research on ackie's so im not even sure if I'll end up getting one but just for fun I have some questions. What is a good monitor to have as a second reptile? I heard Savannah's are tame but I don't have that much space for him. Would a Monitor or Tegu be better in my situation? How hard are they to take care of compared to a bearded dragon? How expensive are they, specifically if i ahd to ship one to Canada? And if i think of any questions I'll add to it, sorry in advance for possibly sounding stupid.
Liam.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-27-16, 07:45 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Good Monitor Lizard to own?

I don't know that you'd be up for a monitor or tegu. Even a small monitor requires alot of space as they are pretty active, and tegus get bigger than you think. Either one would be looking about a 5 or 6 foot long adult enclosure, minimum of 2 feed deep. Bot sure about tegus and height, but achies will beed a 3 foot tall enclosure. 1 foot should be deep digging substrate (a mix if ecoearth, sand, mulch, ect) and the 2 feet of climbing space.

They bay get a little larger than a beardie, but they will be 10 times more active.

Another large lizard that doesn't require so much space though would be a blue tongue skink.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 11-27-16, 09:20 PM   #3
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
I don't know that you'd be up for a monitor or tegu. Even a small monitor requires alot of space as they are pretty active, and tegus get bigger than you think. Either one would be looking about a 5 or 6 foot long adult enclosure, minimum of 2 feed deep. Bot sure about tegus and height, but achies will beed a 3 foot tall enclosure. 1 foot should be deep digging substrate (a mix if ecoearth, sand, mulch, ect) and the 2 feet of climbing space.

They bay get a little larger than a beardie, but they will be 10 times more active.

Another large lizard that doesn't require so much space though would be a blue tongue skink.
Is the blue tongued skink as active as the ackies? Which is harder to take care of? Thank you for the reply. Also would you recommened a blue tongued over a ackie as a second lizard? I have the space for either and am willing to put the proper time in to take care of them.
Liam
Old 11-27-16, 10:56 PM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

I don't really believe in 'starter' animals for the most part. Go for what you want, just make sure you can provide for it. So, if you have the space for a massive enclosure, then get the ackie. I understand that yellows are best for interactions but reds aren't bad either. Males are usualky more outgoing than females but also get bigger. Other than the size of the enclosure, if you get just 1, be ready to provide alot of enrichment as they are actually social animals. Otherwise be ready to have 2 or 3.

I am no expert on either of these animals but have done ALOT of research and already talked to ALOT of owners and breeders.

Blue tongue skinks (to my knowledge) can be pretty lazy. They also have a very unique diet and a laid back personality. Ackies will be energetic. I see them as being the ferrets of the reptile world lol. Active, friendly, can be nippy, and pretty independent.

Old 11-29-16, 05:13 PM   #5
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
I don't really believe in 'starter' animals for the most part. Go for what you want, just make sure you can provide for it. So, if you have the space for a massive enclosure, then get the ackie. I understand that yellows are best for interactions but reds aren't bad either. Males are usualky more outgoing than females but also get bigger. Other than the size of the enclosure, if you get just 1, be ready to provide alot of enrichment as they are actually social animals. Otherwise be ready to have 2 or 3.

I am no expert on either of these animals but have done ALOT of research and already talked to ALOT of owners and breeders.

Blue tongue skinks (to my knowledge) can be pretty lazy. They also have a very unique diet and a laid back personality. Ackies will be energetic. I see them as being the ferrets of the reptile world lol. Active, friendly, can be nippy, and pretty independent.
I have been trying to find breeders but for some reason I can't find any trusted breeders. I just want to get a price range for the ackies, if you know of any that would be great .
Liam
Login to remove ads
Old 11-29-16, 06:30 PM   #6
Minkness
Forum Moderator

I spoke with the owner/breeder of Rare Earth (one of the best producers and probably who I will go with if they are still in business when I am ready for one!)

Yellows range from about 30-400 before shipping. Average is about 375. Reds you are looking at between 500-600 before shipping. They aren't cheap.

The difference between the two is that yellows are a bit smaller (barely noticeable) and are friendlier and more outgoing. Reds will be a bit bigger and still pretty friendly, the yellows are just moreso.

I personally like the high contrast yellows over the reds, but that's just me. =)

Old 11-30-16, 12:50 PM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMailSquirrel View Post
Is the blue tongued skink as active as the ackies? Which is harder to take care of? Thank you for the reply. Also would you recommened a blue tongued over a ackie as a second lizard? I have the space for either and am willing to put the proper time in to take care of them.
Liam
Most active lizards aren't docile and most docile lizards aren't active.

If you want active I'd look at ameivas and some collard lizards. If you want docile then the blue tongue is a good option, or a uromastyx.
Old 11-30-16, 01:08 PM   #8
eminart

I'm all for people getting whatever reptile they want... as long as they understand what they're getting and are willing and able to provide proper care. So, if you're new to reptiles, I'd urge you to do a lot of research before considering a monitor. They're definitely on the more difficult side of care, as reptiles go.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 11-30-16, 06:13 PM   #9
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Most active lizards aren't docile and most docile lizards aren't active.

If you want active I'd look at ameivas and some collard lizards. If you want docile then the blue tongue is a good option, or a uromastyx.
idk the ackies just seem special to me lmao, thanks for the suggestions. Obviously the ackies would be more expensive than the ameivas and collards?
Old 11-30-16, 06:14 PM   #10
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
I'm all for people getting whatever reptile they want... as long as they understand what they're getting and are willing and able to provide proper care. So, if you're new to reptiles, I'd urge you to do a lot of research before considering a monitor. They're definitely on the more difficult side of care, as reptiles go.
Do you have any idea how much time do you need to dedicate towards the monitors compared to a tegu? Might be a dumb question but wtv lol
Login to remove ads
Old 11-30-16, 06:18 PM   #11
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
I spoke with the owner/breeder of Rare Earth (one of the best producers and probably who I will go with if they are still in business when I am ready for one!)

Yellows range from about 30-400 before shipping. Average is about 375. Reds you are looking at between 500-600 before shipping. They aren't cheap.

The difference between the two is that yellows are a bit smaller (barely noticeable) and are friendlier and more outgoing. Reds will be a bit bigger and still pretty friendly, the yellows are just moreso.

I personally like the high contrast yellows over the reds, but that's just me. =)
Thank you , the Rare Earth breeder seems nice, do you know of any canadian ones, I doubt there are any but it doesn't hut to ask. I found one but he does not breed ackies anymore which sucks because he lived so close :/
Old 11-30-16, 06:30 PM   #12
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Sorry, I don't know Canadian breeders.

Tegus get pretty massive though. If you were looking at something the size of an ackie or beardie, DON'T get a tegu.

Old 11-30-16, 10:19 PM   #13
theMailSquirrel

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know Canadian breeders.

Tegus get pretty massive though. If you were looking at something the size of an ackie or beardie, DON'T get a tegu.
Thank you
Old 11-30-16, 11:31 PM   #14
pet_snake_78

Personally, I'd get some books, read breeders websites, etc, in addition to opinions on forums. Half the fun is researching species and deciding which one works best for you.
Old 12-01-16, 11:30 AM   #15
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

PM me for specific names. I know one or two who used to breed or who can point you in a better direction.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
advice needed, beginner, monitor