border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-16, 08:07 AM   #1
BobBarley

Question Storeria dekayi/Dekay's Brown Snake Availability

Weird question, anyone know anyone (or you yourself) that are selling Storeria dekayi? I know they are common, but their range doesn't extend to where I live (California). I've been looking for a while, but I haven't found any available. The reason I'm looking for one, is that I don't really want to deal with mice. I'm an invert collector with a collection of 23 inverts and they all eat feeder insects. I would be fine with feeding a Storeria dekayi with earthworms and the occasional cricket or something. If they aren't available, does anyone know of a species that's easier to find (for sale) with basically the same care as a Storeria dekayi?

Thanks everyone!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-12-16, 08:44 AM   #2
kill go

Re: Storeria dekayi/Dekay's Brown Snake Availability

Hello BobBarley.... I happen to have a Storeria dekayi. He is wild caught, had him for about 3 months and he getting pretty tame and you right he very easy to feed loves earth worms. They are cool little dudes, he happens to be in my range(South Carolina). I will post pictures soon. Wish you luck finding one because there some nice snakes...
Old 09-12-16, 08:52 AM   #3
BobBarley

Thanks kill go! Yup, from what I've read online, they seem to be the perfect beginner snake for me.
Old 09-12-16, 09:01 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Rough Green Snakes
Ribbon snakes
Garter snakes

All can eat worms I believe. Ribbons I believe eat fish.
Old 09-12-16, 09:04 AM   #5
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I had to look them up. Cool little snake though! I could use like 50 of them in my back yard lol. Slug heaven!

Good luck on your search. Try fauna classifies. You may find one there.

Also, pics when you get one!

I stopped counting at 30....
Login to remove ads
Old 09-12-16, 09:06 AM   #6
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Rough Green Snakes
Ribbon snakes
Garter snakes

Ooooh, rough greens are awesome! I really want one, but they require feeding multiple times a week and do best on crickets. I work too much to fit that in my schedule and also..I HATE crickets lol.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 09-12-16, 04:08 PM   #7
BobBarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Rough Green Snakes
Ribbon snakes
Garter snakes

Rough greens are what I looked at first, but it seems their care is too over the top. Garter snakes, it seems, need to be fed a diet of both worms and mice? I can't do mice, dead or alive (parents). Ribbon snakes are a possibility, but can they be fed on a diet of exclusively fish? And where can I get fish that don't contain thiaminase?

I'm looking for a snake that is totally insectivore with easy care. Being handleable is definitely a huge plus.
Old 09-12-16, 05:39 PM   #8
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarley View Post
Rough greens are what I looked at first, but it seems their care is too over the top. Garter snakes, it seems, need to be fed a diet of both worms and mice? I can't do mice, dead or alive (parents). Ribbon snakes are a possibility, but can they be fed on a diet of exclusively fish? And where can I get fish that don't contain thiaminase?

I'm looking for a snake that is totally insectivore with easy care. Being handleable is definitely a huge plus.
Garters can be fed a diet of just worms (this requires additional supplements though), just fish, just mice, or a mixture. A diet of worms and fish is most like their natural diet, as most garters do not eat rodents as a staple in their diet in the wild. They are opportunistic, though. I would stay away from insects and amphibians with these guys, since insects aren't easy to digest and yield little return, and amphibians pose a very high parasite risk. Same with slugs, even though some might eat those.

There is are several lists of thiaminase-free fish, just Google a few. Thamnophis.com has some and I've found longer lists elsewhere.

Your best bet might just get a lizard tbqh, your options with snakes are limited and probably won't really fit into your invert keeping.
Old 09-12-16, 05:56 PM   #9
BobBarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Garters can be fed a diet of just worms (this requires additional supplements though), just fish, just mice, or a mixture. A diet of worms and fish is most like their natural diet, as most garters do not eat rodents as a staple in their diet in the wild. They are opportunistic, though. I would stay away from insects and amphibians with these guys, since insects aren't easy to digest and yield little return, and amphibians pose a very high parasite risk. Same with slugs, even though some might eat those.

There is are several lists of thiaminase-free fish, just Google a few. Thamnophis.com has some and I've found longer lists elsewhere.

Your best bet might just get a lizard tbqh, your options with snakes are limited and probably won't really fit into your invert keeping.
Ok, thank you for the information!
Old 09-12-16, 05:57 PM   #10
Albert Clark

THIS ^^^^^^^^^. Everything she (bsg) says right there. It's the chitin in insects that is indigestible in garter snakes, ribbon snakes and deKays snakes.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-12-16, 06:22 PM   #11
BobBarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
THIS ^^^^^^^^^. Everything she (bsg) says right there. It's the chitin in insects that is indigestible in garter snakes, ribbon snakes and deKays snakes.
Ah, I see. That explains their preference for slugs/earthworms and the like. Thank you!
Old 09-13-16, 02:43 PM   #12
Bandit

I had a Dekay's for a while. Cool little snake and he became very comfortable very quick. I just fed him worms and he did great.

I also have a rough green. I've had him for about 6 years now and I just feed him crickets. I find the care pretty easy.

I've had ribbons and garters as well. Both absolutely great snakes. I had my ribbons exclusively on fish, but the garters ate fish and mice.
Old 09-13-16, 07:36 PM   #13
BobBarley

Ok so in summary, if I can't get a S. dekayi, then I should go with a lizard right. Sound right?
Old 09-14-16, 07:04 PM   #14
Bandit

Have you looked into earth snakes or ringnecks? They have similar care (although ringnecks can be a little tougher). And rough greens really aren't that much to care for. If you want any advice, message me and I'll go into more detail on care.
Old 09-14-16, 07:51 PM   #15
BobBarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Have you looked into earth snakes or ringnecks? They have similar care (although ringnecks can be a little tougher). And rough greens really aren't that much to care for. If you want any advice, message me and I'll go into more detail on care.
Sure, thanks! PM sent!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread