border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-16, 05:15 AM   #1
John962

Bredli is getting very bitey

Hi, I took my bredli out of his viv yesterday and handled him for a few minutes and he was fine. I put him back in the vivarium, and when I tried to change his water he struck at me in feeding mode but luckily missed. I've tried tap training him with a stick before picking him up but he bites that as well! He was such a sweet natured snake when small. Now he is adult size he's getting a bit unpredictable. I'm sure I'm feeding him well, he is certainly not under weight, just always in feeding mode. Any tips?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-19-16, 05:44 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Bredli is getting very bitey

If it's a male it could just be hormones, affects some snakes more than others. Also tap training works best if you touch them every time you open the viv, but are not feeding. So also tap when changing the water or just checking something. Has anything else changed?
Old 08-19-16, 06:07 AM   #3
John962

Hi, no nothing else has changed. I'll start tapping him every time I open the viv doors as you suggest.
Old 08-19-16, 09:29 AM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Are you still feeding him approximately every 4 weeks John? If he's biting out of hunger why not feed him more often?
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-19-16, 10:03 AM   #5
John962

No, I'm feeding him a lot more often. Large rat every 3 weeks or a medium every 2. He's quite heavy. I think 4 kilos and only 2 metres long. I think bredli are just eating machines. 4 days after scoffing a large rat and with a huge bulge he will still motion towards you, looking hungry.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-19-16, 01:30 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I feed my carpets a little heavier than you do John. My 1300g coastal eats a medium rat every 7-10 days or a large rat every 10-14 days. My 850g jungle eats a medium every 7-10 days. Sometimes they get a chick with their smaller meals or as a snack between larger meals. You're right though carpets are little piggies at feeding time.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-20-16, 01:23 PM   #7
gebon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John962 View Post
No, I'm feeding him a lot more often. Large rat every 3 weeks or a medium every 2. He's quite heavy. I think 4 kilos and only 2 metres long. I think bredli are just eating machines. 4 days after scoffing a large rat and with a huge bulge he will still motion towards you, looking hungry.
He was interrupted last time he tried to eat you, so he may think it's time for another try I think ( just like Tsubaki ) that the behavior may be a hormonal thing.
Old 08-21-16, 05:09 AM   #8
John962

Well my son's hormonal too at the age of 14 and he doesn't like me either! But seriously, do you mean that causes aggression? And if so, will it wear off?
Old 08-21-16, 05:18 AM   #9
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Hormones can definitely cause aggression, for example: one of my Nicaragua males is significantly more aggressive during the mating season than any other time (not that he is such a peach otherwise, but there is a noticeable difference). It returns yearly for him. If it is caused by hormones there's no way of knowing what's going to happen, it could get less and disappear! Waiting it out is all you can do, you handled him first and he was fine with that so it doesn't seem that bad to me. Keep tap training, make it absolutely clear when its feeding time (0 touching) and any other time (always touch)... What helps with my retics is feeding after dark and never attempt anything else after dark, they are all very fierce during the night but the food response is a lot less during the day.
Old 09-09-16, 10:57 AM   #10
John962

Latest update - I have upped the feed for my bredli to a large rat every 2 weeks now - he has calmed down a lot and is not biting everything anymore. Thanks for your help! PS I moved him into a 5x2x2 ft viv so he's got a lot more room to move about in. Cheers, John
Login to remove ads
Old 09-10-16, 03:34 AM   #11
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Glad he's found his peace again
Old 09-10-16, 08:42 AM   #12
marvelfreak
Captain America

Things to know about Bredli and Carpets if they are striking or biting they are either hungry, in breeding mode,(hungry), about to lay eggs, (hungry) or going into shed. An there's always the off chance the are just hungry. lol

Tags
bredli