border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-16, 04:26 PM   #1
DDW

Hypothetical Inhabitant...

Hypothetically, I want to know a good snake of snake to put in a new enclosure I may or may not be getting. Exo Terra 36" x18" x18" is the enclosure. The conditions are:
1) must not out grow the enclosure(I also don't want to overwhelm the little noodle either)
2) must be avaliable in a distinguishable morph(albino is best I think. Nothing that can be confused as a wild snake to an inexperienced person. IE solid black, rings, green, ect.)
3)milk or Kingsnake(of course, that is why I have this in this forum sectionXD)

I really look forward to your responses, I want to see what is possible.

I have been really considering a California king, albino stripe }(:==========
But I fear the enclosure will be much to big for a Cali King.

Also, experience, opinions, and pictures are very welcome^.=.^

Other stuff is debatable of coarse
Login to remove ads
Old 05-26-16, 04:39 PM   #2
albertagirl

Re: Hypothetical Inhabitant...

I am a huge fan of the african house snake, my current favorite, but if you only want kings or milks I'm partial to variable kings. I don't any (yet), but they will never outgrow that cage, and they come in a bunch of color phases.
I can't think of any milk snakes that don't have rings or turn solid black, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-26-16, 04:46 PM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Lampropeltis in general are very secretive and spend most of their time hiding so if you're looking for a display animal, depending on the individual snake, it may not do well in that size enclosure or live up to your expectations in that aspect. IMO that cage will be far too large for hatchlings of most species so you'll need a smaller temoporary enclosure until your snake gets some size...but the opinions on that definitely vary. As far as morphs are concerned you definitely have some options. Also just so you are aware... MOST adult california kingsnakes really enjoy chewing on fingers and mistake them for food all the time. If you're willing to deal with this, they may be a great option. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations. I've always been a huge fan of a nice pure love or abbott line okeetee corn snake.

Albertagirl, eastern milksnakes look similar to corn snakes so there's that one.

Last edited by Andy_G; 05-26-16 at 04:51 PM..
Old 05-26-16, 04:57 PM   #4
albertagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
Albertagirl, eastern milksnakes look similar to corn snakes so there's that one.
Ah yes, of course! Thanks for catching that Andy!

And I will second the vote for a corn snake. They come in hundreds of color morphs, many of which would never be mistaken for a wild snake.
Check out <http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/> or <http://www.farbvarianten-lexikon.de/morphuebersicht.php> for pictures of the many, many options.
Old 05-26-16, 05:41 PM   #5
DDW

I am really surprised about how fast y'all respondedXD

I have looked into reverse okatee corn snakes and rather like the color but how is a corn's disposition in general? Wouldn't a corn be too small?

As for hatchling debate, I would be willing to get a juvenile or supply many hides(really simple to get cheap hides for small snakesXD)

I have seen different morphs of milk snakes similar to those of the morphs of Kings, such as the Honduran milknake. Bands may be able to be overlooked if the snake where albino however. Depends on the coloration and markings

I don't know much about technical terms for genes and such but if it's bright(and not "mean" looking) ID look into it.

But fancy morphs(for lack of a better word) are often hard to find and/or expensive and I don't want to pay mor than $75 for the snake itself(even better if less. Been watching the classifieds and such) this is why I often just say albino or similar.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-26-16, 05:45 PM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Lots of milksnake morphs but I am uncertain if they would be too much for you. I don't know that market where you live.

Corns are pretty docile and handle very well, they are inexpensive, and their adult size (usually) ranges from 3 to 5 feet, with most individuals being right around the 3.5-4 foot mark. Your price point would further reinforce that a corn snake would be perfect for you.
Old 05-26-16, 06:02 PM   #7
SerpentineDream

Corn snakes aren't huge, but they are substantial. My adult female is 4 feet and as big around as a garden hose. They come in a rainbow of colors and are generally quite docile and easy to get along with. As babies they are usually subdued in color and eat pinky mice. Their colors intensify as they grow up, and as adults they eat medium adult mice. Females eat once every 7 to 10 days and males every 10 to 14 days as adults (babies every week). Males tend to be bigger than females--which is not usually the case with snakes--but they have slower metabolisms.

Corn snakes are popular for a reason. It's because they are awesome, user-friendly snakes.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 05-26-16, 06:25 PM   #8
albertagirl

Since you asked for pictures, as an example of bright, here is a fire morph corn snake, available for $75 in the states, based on the pricelist on Home, who has just one of the most amazing corn snake collections.

This is a 2 year old, so still more growing to do, but definitely some color in this one. Currently 3'4" or so, and about 250 grams.

20160524_162617.jpg
Old 05-26-16, 08:08 PM   #9
SerpentineDream

Don Soderberg has some bloodred female 2015 hatchlings left for $50 on his website. https://cornsnake.net/index.php?opti...id=250&lang=en He's got a fresh crop of babies of various morphs coming out soon. You can browse the site and get an idea of some of the myriad color morphs available. I've bought a bunch of snakes from Don and never gotten a bad one yet.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 05-26-16, 08:18 PM   #10
DDW

Wow, I never really fully considered a corn snake, but it seems you may have sold me. Anyone have any basic info on care and such because I've only looked at Kings, milks, and BPs. I've heard they don't need much heat (still needs a heat mat I know)

Will a young(likely not hatchling) do okay or well in the enclosure with many hides avaliable? I probably will get a juvenile if I go with a corn(don't want to deal with cut up pinkies:/)

XD I suppose this thread should be moved to the general sectionXD (Only if there is a problem, don't know how mods deal with this)
Login to remove ads
Old 05-26-16, 08:54 PM   #11
albertagirl

I fed the babies whole pinkies right from the start. I kept them in a 10 gallon until they were 9-12 months old and then moved them into their adult size vivs. I just made sure they had lots of hides and plant cover so they could move from warm to cool side without feeling too exposed, until they were a little bigger. I keep the cool side at room temp, and the warm side at about 85 degrees-ish. Ambient humidity with maybe the odd misting in the winter when they're in shed. There are a ton of good care sheets out there, a quick google search will give you a ton of info. That's another good thing about corns, info is plentiful!
Old 05-27-16, 06:39 AM   #12
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
I fed the babies whole pinkies right from the start. I kept them in a 10 gallon until they were 9-12 months old and then moved them into their adult size vivs. I just made sure they had lots of hides and plant cover so they could move from warm to cool side without feeling too exposed, until they were a little bigger. I keep the cool side at room temp, and the warm side at about 85 degrees-ish. Ambient humidity with maybe the odd misting in the winter when they're in shed. There are a ton of good care sheets out there, a quick google search will give you a ton of info. That's another good thing about corns, info is plentiful!
That sounds cool^.=.^ thanks tbh, I'm going for reverse posted if I can. However, I can't get a ten gal tank to keep a hatchling. Could I use a large kritter keeper inside the existing tank(in the center so that there is a temp gradiant)? Or put a lot of hides in it? (Like to where you would only barely see it if it moved with fake vines for foliage?
Old 05-27-16, 06:52 AM   #13
eminart

Just buy a plastic tub. Sit one end of it on the edge of the heat mat that you buy for the larger enclosure.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 05-27-16, 07:07 AM   #14
Albert Clark

When you see the snake that captures your eye and your heart you will know that's the one for you. Keep shopping until you feel that! It should be what you want.
Old 05-27-16, 07:08 AM   #15
DDW

What kind of plastic tub do you use? My mom is super paranoid about escapes.

And I'm looking for a good brand of heat mat that can be interchanged between enclosures(not adhered to the bottom ect and can be removed without damage to the heat mat. Or whatever you think is the best one for this case
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread