Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-16, 01:35 PM   #1
Oleman

Fwc

I have 2 questions regarding FWC or Hydrodynastes gigas

Can one actually call them venemous?
Where could a guy aquire one? I have searched kingsnake and fauna along with a few sites but they all are older or are selling breeding pairs.
I have owned snakes for a bit over 20 years and find them extremely fascinating. I'm not big into Hots but feel a FWC isnt as bad as say a front fanged hot.
Tell me all you know. If it's a bad idea or something to look into.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-16, 02:57 PM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Fwc

They are definitely by definition a venomous rear-fanged species, and you certainly shouldn't ever let one chew onto you, but I don't know if one could consider then to be a "hot" because free handling them is fine. They are similar to a cribo in regards to their size, activity, apparent intelligence, and feeding response. Hatchlings are seen periodically on both of the sites you mentioned but they sell fast. Keep on looking from time to time and you will surely find what you're looking for.
Old 04-24-16, 03:17 PM   #3
Oleman

I never figured they were a hot. But was curious,
The feeding response and apparent intelligence are my main attractors. Love whem an animal lunges at food.
Old 04-25-16, 10:23 PM   #4
D Grade

They are extremely intellegent and "aware". Beware because in my experience, you get a 50/50 shot at a tame doll or a psycho.
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Old 04-26-16, 02:59 AM   #5
Oleman

I like how thats put "tame doll or psycho".
it may be my next addition. If i can find one.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-16, 07:22 PM   #6
IW17

I've got a female. Aside from being flighty and always putting on a show with her hood, she's pretty easy to deal with. That being said I still use my head when holding her. Just because you won't die, doesn't mean the experience of being bit won't be nasty. You never know how your body will react to the venom. That being said, it is a neat and rewarding species.
Old 04-29-16, 02:34 PM   #7
D Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleman View Post
I like how thats put "tame doll or psycho".
it may be my next addition. If i can find one.
Thanks, its true though.

Heres a pic of an absolute tame doll we had displayed at a show last fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151003_033942.jpg (27.2 KB, 43 views)
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Old 04-30-16, 08:00 AM   #8
Nightflight99

I used to breed H. gigas for many years, and always found them to be interesting captives. They're diurnal and agile, which makes for excellent display animals. Due to their large adult size and high activity level, they do require a large enclosure--I recommend a minimum footprint of around 6x2 ft. They will spend a significant amount of time in their water container, so plan the design of your setup accordingly. Their feeding response is legendary, so be careful when the scent of food is in the air.

Quote:
Can one actually call them venemous?
Yes, they are (anatomically) venomous, albeit with a poor delivery system and a low yield. The sheer size of an adult specimen and the potential for physical damage alone is sufficient motivation for me to always handle adults with a hook, but I feel quite comfortable handling hatchlings like I would any non-venomous snake. I've received numerous bites from hatchlings, all of which were always 100% asymptomatic.

55.59.7 squamates, 1.1 Canis lupus, and 0.1 Homo sapiens.
Old 04-30-16, 10:02 AM   #9
sirtalis

Haven't a few people been hospitalized by these? Either way their a beautiful species that I would love to work with one day.