border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-16, 11:26 AM   #1
LespaceSerpent

Unhappy Sudden humidity problems?

So I am in a mess right now.

My BP is currently in a 10 gallon glass terraroum. I use critter crumble coconut bedding, have a large water dish over the uth, a couple hides, and a wooden branch with some fake vines for extra cover. I've got a 60w CHE and the top is layered with duct tape (with open areas for ventilation of course) to keep in heat and humidity. Ever since I got it set up properly I've never had any humidity issues

I went on vacation and the day before I left my BP decided it was time to shed. I had a friend willing to come and mist him while I was gone and he was doing well. But a couple days before I came back his lamp shorted out. The bulbs fine and I had my friend move the cage a bit to try and give him heat until I could come back. I get home, put his cage back in my room, and get a new lamp so that everything is set up the way it was before I left with the exception of I added another hide to give him something new to mess with.

But now all of a sudden I can't keep to humidity above about 40%. I put in a humid hide until I can fix this but I have no idea whe it's suddenly not keeping in moisture
Login to remove ads
Old 04-05-16, 11:42 AM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Sudden humidity problems?

Has the bedding dried out?
Old 04-05-16, 11:49 AM   #3
LespaceSerpent

It's as wet as its ever been I just mist it some
Old 04-05-16, 11:57 AM   #4
poison123

CHE get very hot even for a low watt. It is likely drying out the air. Id suggest a lower wattege bulb and raise the basking spot closeer to the bulb. As well as keep the screen covered.
Old 04-05-16, 11:58 AM   #5
poison123

What are you using to read the humidity level with?
Old 04-05-16, 12:11 PM   #6
LespaceSerpent

The screen is covered with a layer of duct tape as I said. And the che is a bit away from the glass so it doesn't get too hot. I have a vivarium electronics thermo/hygrometer
Old 04-05-16, 12:37 PM   #7
phassin

Hmmmm could it have something to do with the ambient humidity in the room. Maybe if your AC is running more due to higher temps then the humidity would drop. Just a thought.
Old 04-05-16, 01:21 PM   #8
Albert Clark

You need to head over to Petland and purchase a "versa top" for a ten gallon tank. Humidity and ambient temperatures solved permanently. Do you use a thermostat to regulate the heat off the uth? Versa tops are sold at Petco and Petsmart as well.
Old 04-05-16, 01:21 PM   #9
LespaceSerpent

That might actually be it. I hadn't thought about that. On the upside even with the humidity struggles one side of his retained eye caps have come off so hopefully he can loosen the other side as well
Old 04-05-16, 01:22 PM   #10
LespaceSerpent

Albert I had heard about those and I'll check them out. I have the uth set about 85 with the probe under the water dish so it doesn't get too warm but then the water will evaporate. Thank you everyone for the help.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-05-16, 01:26 PM   #11
Albert Clark

Ok. Be careful with the probe under the water dish. The condensation and water may send the wrong info to the thermostat thus causing the temperatures to rise.
Old 04-06-16, 11:49 PM   #12
LespaceSerpent

I got a versa lid and now the humidity is consistent at least, but it's consistently 45%. Any more tips?

Also how do you keep your lids secured? I have something on top of it right now because I worry hell get out
Old 04-07-16, 04:56 AM   #13
Albert Clark

Your screen top should fit over the versa top. So use your clips to secure the screen top. The plastic piece that slides onto the versa top needs to have several holes put into it to facilitate ventilation. That can be done with a soldering iron. I used to use tanks years ago and all of my tanks had versa tops with the screen top placed directly over the versa top. My humidity was always in the high 60's to low 80's. You will have to tweak the humidity percentage and adjust your ventilation holes accordingly. Maybe consider adding some 100% cypress mulch to the enclosure.
Old 04-07-16, 06:53 AM   #14
phassin

I just transitioned to cypress and realized quickly that it may help control humidity, but it certainly doesn't absorb snake crap stench! I think I'm gonna try a 75/25 blend cypress/aspen.
Old 04-24-16, 07:33 AM   #15
LespaceSerpent

So the versa top isn't helping in fact I think it might be worse :/ I mght just go buy a tub and switch to that honestly. Any tips someone wants to give would be helpful
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
humidity, humidity control, questions, tank help