border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-16, 02:24 PM   #1
IW17

Am I the crazy one?

OK I'm selling my adult, unsexed leopard gecko. I've got it for sale on a few different sites. I've put a selling price at $30, and $50 more if you'd like the complete enclosure. 20 gallon long, lights, substrate, ceramic water and food dish, and two cork bark hides. Plus I've offered to give a generous amount of mealworms and superworms to feed or start a colony. So far every person that's contacted me thinks that's far to expensive and my highest offer has been $60 for everything. I feel like these people are trolling me. Am I nuts asking $80? Or is this a fair price?
Old 03-28-16, 03:25 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Am I the crazy one?

To be honest, the 60$is a good offer. Not only is it unsexed, locals will see it as a 'second hand' animal. Also, keep in mind that they may be 30$ at a pet store and people will be wanting a DEAL, not a 'store bought' price tag.

I breed high end leos myself, and when selling the gecko it's self, and knowing the gender, and not being a standard yellow or yellow spotted (I breed lavender snows) I may get $25-75. Now, these are geckos that would sell for $150+ on sites like fauna. Keep in mind that the cost of a 10 gallon tank may only be 15$ and that's including the screen lid. Heatingbpad wpuld be 15$ brand new. So, if you sell the tank and lid for 10$, the UTH for 5$, and theleo for 30$ that's still under 60$.

Keep in mind as well that if you are looking at shipping of any kind, that 30$ unsexed gecko just became a 70+$ gecko because of shipping costs.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 03-28-16, 04:45 PM   #3
Humble308

Quote:
Originally Posted by IW17 View Post
OK I'm selling my adult, unsexed leopard gecko. I've got it for sale on a few different sites. I've put a selling price at $30, and $50 more if you'd like the complete enclosure. 20 gallon long, lights, substrate, ceramic water and food dish, and two cork bark hides. Plus I've offered to give a generous amount of mealworms and superworms to feed or start a colony. So far every person that's contacted me thinks that's far to expensive and my highest offer has been $60 for everything. I feel like these people are trolling me. Am I nuts asking $80? Or is this a fair price?

Fair price in my eyes, we sell them for $25-35 at the shelter and that's adopt pricing. To be quite honest if a person thinks $80 for a full set up and food is too expensive then they may not be the sort of folks you want your gecko to end up with. Do you have any pics? I'm up in Solon, OH and might be interested in just the gecko
Old 03-28-16, 05:25 PM   #4
IW17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble308 View Post
Fair price in my eyes, we sell them for $25-35 at the shelter and that's adopt pricing. To be quite honest if a person thinks $80 for a full set up and food is too expensive then they may not be the sort of folks you want your gecko to end up with. Do you have any pics? I'm up in Solon, OH and might be interested in just the gecko
Hey neighbor, I'm down in portage lakes. My girlfriend just moved from Aurora. Yeah I'll get a pic up. I'm up your way fairly often so I could meet up with you if you ever wanna take a look.

Last edited by IW17; 03-28-16 at 05:35 PM..
Old 03-28-16, 05:29 PM   #5
IW17

Sorry for the crap picture. I don't have an actual camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151105_193838.jpg (24.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 03-28-16, 05:31 PM   #6
Minkness
Forum Moderator

If you get a pic of the vent area I can sex it for you.

Old 03-28-16, 05:34 PM   #7
IW17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
To be honest, the 60$is a good offer. Not only is it unsexed, locals will see it as a 'second hand' animal. Also, keep in mind that they may be 30$ at a pet store and people will be wanting a DEAL, not a 'store bought' price tag.

I breed high end leos myself, and when selling the gecko it's self, and knowing the gender, and not being a standard yellow or yellow spotted (I breed lavender snows) I may get $25-75. Now, these are geckos that would sell for $150+ on sites like fauna. Keep in mind that the cost of a 10 gallon tank may only be 15$ and that's including the screen lid. Heatingbpad wpuld be 15$ brand new. So, if you sell the tank and lid for 10$, the UTH for 5$, and theleo for 30$ that's still under 60$.

Keep in mind as well that if you are looking at shipping of any kind, that 30$ unsexed gecko just became a 70+$ gecko because of shipping costs.
Keep in mind it's a 20 long, not ten gallon. Plus it comes with ceramic dishes, hides, a large bag of substrate, and enough mealworms and superworms to feed and start a colony. And around here(I'm not offering shipping) you'll pay $40+ for a young gecko.

I'm really not trying to be rude, but I'd be curious where you could get all that for less than $80.
Old 03-28-16, 05:35 PM   #8
IW17

Quote:
If you get a pic of the vent area I can sex it for you.
I will do that, thank you
Old 03-28-16, 05:47 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Not rude at all, and you are very right about where to gwt that for less than $80, however if doing it local only, you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who fully accepts tue 'worth' not only of the animal, but if the stuff.

I just 'rescued' a male 'pet store' leo that came with custom decore, incubator, waterfall, 2 full bags of sand, a large (24x18x12), front opening enclosure, and loooots of other odds and ends probably worth closer to 400$, but I only paid 120$. I watched it for months and it was still there. Finally said to myself 'to heck with it' and contacted te guy. He was a great guy and the gecko isn't too bad iff, but gecko aside, the stuff alone was worth 3 times what I paid.

Old 03-28-16, 06:16 PM   #10
IW17

Here's the best photo I could get. Getting a good one handed photo is like trying to hold sand.

Old 03-28-16, 06:19 PM   #11
IW17

Quote:
Not rude at all, and you are very right about where to gwt that for less than $80, however if doing it local only, you're going to be hard pressed to find someone who fully accepts tue 'worth' not only of the animal, but if the stuff.

I just 'rescued' a male 'pet store' leo that came with custom decore, incubator, waterfall, 2 full bags of sand, a large (24x18x12), front opening enclosure, and loooots of other odds and ends probably worth closer to 400$, but I only paid 120$. I watched it for months and it was still there. Finally said to myself 'to heck with it' and contacted te guy. He was a great guy and the gecko isn't too bad iff, but gecko aside, the stuff alone was worth 3 times what I paid.
True, and I guess I'm kinda of in the mindset of humble. If a person isn't will to pay $80 for an animal and everything that's required to take care of them, I'm immediately put off. Probably not the best fit.
Old 03-28-16, 06:43 PM   #12
Minkness
Forum Moderator

You have a girl.

And I totally get your mindset. Just be prepared to hold onto that gecko for a while until someone pays what you are asking. Other options is to ask for vet references and lower the price. This allows a person a better deal and gives you peace of mind that it eill be going to a good home.

Old 03-28-16, 06:52 PM   #13
IW17

Thank you that's clears up sex. Lizards aren't really my area of expertise. Yeah I'll hold onto her until the right buyer comes along. I'm never in a hurry to move an animal.
Old 03-28-16, 08:13 PM   #14
Humble308

Nice little lady IW . I think I'll hold off on her for now as I'm looking for a little different coloring. I have really fallen in love with these little leos. They handle well and are super low maintenance, best of all I randomly catch my girl friend walking around with ours...hahaha, would never catch her doing that with my snakes.
Old 03-29-16, 04:23 PM   #15
IW17

Absolutely. Leo's are a great way to warm someone up to reptiles. I've never met a person that didn't fall in love with their faces!
Closed Thread