border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-16, 01:01 PM   #1
elkied243

Breeding Advice

I have a 4 year old albino Red Tail Boa and a woman has approached me about wanting to breed.
Long story short she BEGGED to trade for him (which I was totally uninterested in because I know Apollo's worth and he's also my baby)
We finally agreed my lending him to her as a stud for a fee and 35% of profits from the offspring...I don't know her too well and I'm slightly nervous to lose my snake completely. I've never bred snakes and I have drawn up a generic contract for it and all but still...is it worth the risk?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-04-16, 01:55 PM   #2
Sylphie

Re: Breeding Advice

I wouldn't risk it if you don't know her well. I wouldn't want any of my snakes being under care of some stranger person that I'm not knowing enough to be sure that she has enough knowledge to be responsible breeder and won't hurt my snakes. There are tons of people that breed are sort of animals having totally zero knowledge about them, so for me it's not worth the risk.
Old 02-04-16, 02:02 PM   #3
Jim Smith

I'm with Sylphie on this one. There are way too many things that can go wrong (diseases, mites, accidental death or injury etc.) and you could easily end up with nothing, not even your snake. I have no problem lending or borrowing an animal for specific breeding purposes, but only from someone I know and trust. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
Old 02-04-16, 02:10 PM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Nope nope nope!

Don't do it!

Many reasons. One is theft. She may never give him back. Another is also theft, but in the form that she sells him. Another is that you don't know how her snakes are kept, so care may not be optimal, and, if her snakes are sick or have mites, you may end up with that mess if she does return them.

Now, if she were a close friend and you KNEW how she cared for her animals and where she lived and what circles she runs in, then sure. But not being familiar with her and then her wanting to wn him first before begging for a stud service? NOPE!!!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 02-04-16, 03:45 PM   #5
Piggybuns

The way you said she herself begged you, like BEGGED in all caps, says that's super suspicious to begin with... If you know his worth (and if he's worth a lot) and she knows it, I wouldn't let her touch him let alone stay at her house as a stud unless I saw it myself that she knew what she was doing and wouldn't cheat you from money. Contract or not; the law can't bring back a dead snake. Then again I'm nasty and I never lend anybody anything, ever. I learned the hard way from high school and college to not trust a single person with my possessions OR pets.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-04-16, 04:15 PM   #6
reptiledude987

Ive learned over the years to nevever lend anything that you cant afford to get back. That being said you cant put a price on sentimental value....
1.1 Bredli Sarlacc/Rancor 0.1 Jungle carpet Shelia 0.1 hypo tangerine hondo amidala 0.1 ij carpet greedo 0.1 jag ij carpet maxine rebo 0.1 red western hognose gammorean 1.0 red tail boa boss nass 1.0 mbk Lando 1.0 asian vine higgins 0.1 asian vine wedge 1.0 cape file snake qui-gon jinn 0.1 checkered garter Doikk Na'ts 1.0 eastern garter Figrin D'an
Old 02-04-16, 04:49 PM   #7
AZretic

I agree with Piggy. You seemed to stress how desperate she was for your snake. I sure hope you get him back
Old 02-04-16, 06:06 PM   #8
Klaire

Don't do it, Never put the care of your boy in someone else's hands that you don't know.
Old 02-04-16, 06:46 PM   #9
ManSlaughter33

If you don't know her well don't trust it. you never know if her snakes have mites or IBD or how well she takes care of them
Old 02-04-16, 08:12 PM   #10
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Nope. No way.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-04-16, 09:21 PM   #11
elkied243

I went to her house to visit and she how her pets are kept and I was pretty impressed. Still not letting him go quite yet but actually meeting her and seeing everything and how it was set up was nice. The thing is I am pregnant and it would be nice for him to be kept by somebody for a couple of months so that I don't neglect him while caring for my baby but I'm still not convinced. I'll let y'all know what ends up happening. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-05-16, 08:43 AM   #12
macandchz

don't do it, she sounds too anxious. do you know any one else that's dealt with her you could ask?
Old 02-05-16, 09:28 AM   #13
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Even breeding loans between good friends sometimes don't end with both parties 100% happy with every detail ironed out beforehand. This is a bad idea.
Closed Thread