border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-16, 05:01 PM   #1
macandchz

how can i humanely kill a mouse

i think i'm going to have to start feeding macandchz fresh killed mice. i live close to the pet shop so i can get a live one with no trouble. my daughter says i need to drown it. do i stick it in a box and sub-merge it or what? how do i know it's really dead? i think i'd have a stroke if it started moving when i go to feed it to mac.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-16, 05:16 PM   #2
ManSlaughter33

Re: how can i humanely kill a mouse

do NOT drown it that's horrible...
I only buy frozen thawed but the most common method is CO2 chambers or neck snap :/
Old 01-27-16, 05:28 PM   #3
AZretic

Ha ha drowning is not humane. Hell they may be the worst method ever. Get dry ice warm water to creat co2. Google euthanize mice and there are tons of videos etc
Old 01-27-16, 05:41 PM   #4
macandchz

ok drowning is not the way i'm going. i am going to continue to use f/t and mac will have to learn to eat them again. do you think he would really starve if he doesn't get what he prefers? i may have the first stubborn suicidal snake! he's eventually got to eat something, right? i'm really worried about him.
Old 01-27-16, 05:56 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

How long has it been?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-27-16, 07:33 PM   #6
macandchz

he ate his last f/t on dec 2. after reading some of the posts, i guess that really isn't that long.
Old 01-27-16, 07:46 PM   #7
Bandit

Unless he's rapidly losing weight, no need to worry. Snakes can go a long time without eating. Plus, it's winter so that could very well be contributing to it.
Old 01-27-16, 08:23 PM   #8
Klaire

Glad to hear your not drowning the mouse as that is not humane at all.. As others have suggested check out gas chambers on youtube the ingredients to create it are cheap too
Old 01-27-16, 08:35 PM   #9
AZretic

I've had a retic go on food almost 3 months before. No need to worry
Old 01-27-16, 11:38 PM   #10
dannybgoode

Is this a ball python? From memory it is. Look at the video I posted a link to in the ball python forum about their fasting habits. Should put your mind at ease...
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-16, 12:58 AM   #11
toddnbecka

I simply throw mice onto the (concrete) floor, kills them instantly. Not a commonly recommended method, but I've never had one survive it. I wouldn't recommend that for for anythng much larger than a mouse though, certainly not a good-size rat.
If you want to use CO2 and don't have easy access to dry ice, baking soda and vinegar will produce CO2 as well.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 01-28-16, 09:13 AM   #12
Arachnaeoccult

I hear large rats can use a good wack of the head/neck on a hard surface. Expect the possibility of blood. I'd rather have my neck snapped/lethal head trauma than die in a freezer.
Old 01-28-16, 10:22 AM   #13
sirtalis

Yeah, I just take the mouse/rat by the tail and swing it fast and hard into a solid surface!
Cervical dislocation works too, one of my friends would put several large rats in a pillow case and swing it as hard as he could against a wall or concrete floor, I feel this is actually more humane than co2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opwXJ7MgjPE
Old 01-28-16, 10:42 AM   #14
RAD House

I would stick with the CO2 method. It is more reliable than blunt force trauma or cervical dislocation. I have tried cervical dislocation and failed at it, it was not a pretty site and was certainly not painless for the mouse. Unless you have someone who knows what they are doing to show you the method, I would not attempt it. I in no way believe that blunt force trauma is painless, not to mention rats can be tough so if it does not die on the first attempt you are causing the animal undue pain.
Old 01-28-16, 10:56 AM   #15
macandchz

are you guys really serious about smashing mice into concrete or are you just putting me on? has anyone ever tried to feed a ball python something else besides rodents? i won't ever do it but i was just curious if anyone has ever heard of one eating lunch meat or something made from meat. i heard you can scent their food with tuna and can leave small pieces of the tuna on the mouse. could they eat something like a sardine,maybe? i think i'm just wishful thinking.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread