border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-16, 09:00 AM   #1
Arachnaeoccult

Why I like the kenyan sand boa

I've been reading on the fairly inexpensive Kenyan Sand Boas and I've come to decide that this is the next snake I want. All I need is a hot sun lamp (till summer when the temp is 94 anyway) and another 5-10g tank and I can order a baby. The thing I like about these is that they're a biological novelty and give birth like mammals. I also like the yellow on black color and their slow demeanor and chubbiness. Perhaps some day with more resources I'll breed these off and the local pet stores will accept them
Login to remove ads
Old 01-15-16, 11:08 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Why I like the kenyan sand boa

Not a fan of kenyans byself as I prefer my rough scale sandies, but they are neat. Keep in mund that males will need a 10 gallon tank when full grown and females will do best in a 20 gallon long as they can reach about 2.5 to 3 feet. Also, keep in mind that babies WILL have an attitude. Also, they are not active snakes and will stay burried 90% of the time with only the tip of thwir nose visible. And, while they are 'sand' boas, sand is bad. So consider something like sanichips, crushed walnut shells, or reptibark for their burrowing needs. There are probably lots of other digging options, just stay away from actual sand.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 01-15-16, 12:10 PM   #3
Arachnaeoccult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Not a fan of kenyans byself as I prefer my rough scale sandies, but they are neat. Keep in mund that males will need a 10 gallon tank when full grown and females will do best in a 20 gallon long as they can reach about 2.5 to 3 feet. Also, keep in mind that babies WILL have an attitude. Also, they are not active snakes and will stay burried 90% of the time with only the tip of thwir nose visible. And, while they are 'sand' boas, sand is bad. So consider something like sanichips, crushed walnut shells, or reptibark for their burrowing needs. There are probably lots of other digging options, just stay away from actual sand.
I can do reptibark.

Are you saying these are baby shai-huluds? Do they attack from their burrows?
Old 01-15-16, 12:27 PM   #4
eminart

Well, in fairness, they aren't that much of a novelty. All boas, and many other snakes give birth to live young. But, that doesn't mean anything. Get one if that's what you like. Or two. Or three.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 01-15-16, 12:27 PM   #5
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Don't know what a shai-hulud is, but yes. They do not stalk their prey or follow it like a python or other boa might. They will wait where they are burried and you will need to have acess to mouse fuzzies, and I suggest tongs. They hit pretty hard when they do strike. Also, I wouldn't say they wait in a 'burrow' exactly, they just burry themselves.

Login to remove ads
Old 01-15-16, 12:36 PM   #6
ManSlaughter33

My baby sand boa is the bitiest snake ive ever had. I rarely see her except for feed or for her to get a drink. I wouldn't suggest repti bark or sand.
honestly My sand boa is my most boring snake as I've never even seen it except for cleaning and feeding and when she likes my fingers as a snack.
Not that I regret getting her, but I wouldn't get another one. ever lol
Old 01-15-16, 12:43 PM   #7
Arachnaeoccult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManSlaughter33 View Post
My baby sand boa is the bitiest snake ive ever had. I rarely see her except for feed or for her to get a drink. I wouldn't suggest repti bark or sand.
honestly My sand boa is my most boring snake as I've never even seen it except for cleaning and feeding and when she likes my fingers as a snack.
Awwwweh man thanks for the intel. I guess I'll alternate.
Old 01-15-16, 12:45 PM   #8
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Yeah, they are boring if they are the only snake you have, but are a nice addition to a larger, more active collection. I only wanted 1 but ended up with 2 by accedent. I doubt I'll ever get more lol.

Old 01-15-16, 12:48 PM   #9
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManSlaughter33 View Post
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but that's why they've never interested me. My daughter has mentioned wanting one, and I won't tell her "no" but I plan to make sure she knows what she'll be getting. Some people don't mind, but they're just not for me. Just like the "pet hole" tarantulas.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 01-15-16, 12:53 PM   #10
Minkness
Forum Moderator

My guys will always be in tubs because no reason to spend the money or space on a 'nice' enclosure.

Login to remove ads
Old 01-15-16, 12:56 PM   #11
ManSlaughter33

I wanted one because they are pretty, and they stay relatively small. But they're not the snakes for me. I'll probably be getting another BCI or a Carpet python.
I know rosy boas don't get overly large and they're similar to Kenyans, anyone know if they hide constantly like that as well
Old 01-15-16, 12:57 PM   #12
Arachnaeoccult

The pet store almost sold me a water dragon! I would have eventually needed a tank thats 5x4 feet long that they didn't tell me about
Old 01-15-16, 01:00 PM   #13
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Yeah, it's best to do research before getting ANYTHING. Depending on the store, most employees are just sales clerks that stock and clean. They may like animals, but it may just be a job too.

Old 01-15-16, 01:01 PM   #14
Tiny Boidae

Kenyans are the "calm" ones out of the sand boas, but all of mine had some sort of temperament problems when they were babies (either skittish or defensive), although the teeth are too small to even break the skin at that age so I wouldn't worry about a bite. Even as adults, mine will flinch and spaz out when they don't want to be touched, which is infamous from a male of mine who I affectionately named Spaz.

As others have mentioned, they hit their prey hard and I rarely have one refuse a meal. I mean I could be driving for a day with them and the second I turn on their heat they'll feed. Six years later and I still flinch every time I feed them with the tongs, they just hit it so fast. (They also have horrible aim, and 1/3 of the time will strike the tongs themselves).

I also would advise against breeding them unless it's something you really want to do, because while there's no incubator needed, they have relatively large litters. That's potentially 20+ babies per snake, and if I bred all three of my females, I could wind up with 60 or more snakes that nobody wants. In your financial situation, I would highly discourage it unless you know that you can take care of each of those babies.
Old 01-15-16, 01:17 PM   #15
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Tiny makes valid points.

Also, keep in mind that if a pet store does 'buy' the babies, they may only offer you store credit. Speaking from experience, that is both good and bad. While you can easily afford food, decor, and ither reptile or pet related stuff, you also may be more open to tradi g for another animal. Which is fine, unless you really shouldn't be aupporting another animal. Also, because it's store credit and not real money, you may miss out on cash you might actually need. Like groceries, a traffic ticket, new cloths, ect.

Also, as others have said, they are cool, but not terribly popular like a BP or BCI/BCC. So, having even just 20 babies, while neat, means you may only trade/sell 5 at pet stores (they will not take all 20, and give you less than half of what they are worth.) You may sell another 5 through craigs list, but that is not a quick turn around. I still have 4 baby cresties to sell. I will also be taking them to my local store for trade because I need feeders. I also have a relationship with my store, so am offered a bit more than someone who comes in out of nowhere.

While it is a fun and sometimes rewarding cycle of breeding and selling, it's not for everyone either. And that's for everything, not just kenyans.

I will be taking this season off because of my plans to move.

And also think of space. Keeping kenyans in mind, you may get 20 babies, you will need 20 containers with substrate, water, and heat until they are sold. Ither than space, you will need the materials, and while not a huge thing, may make your water and electric bills higher.

Login to remove ads
Closed Thread