border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-15, 07:22 PM   #1
mike22ca

Propper heating for Animal Plastics T25 and retic

I currently have an Animal Plastics T25 72x30x18 on order for my retic (cant wait for it to get here!). I've been trying to figure out the best heating solution. Winter time really is the only issue. My room ranges from 67-72ish. I've kept reptiles for years but have never dealt with an enclosure this large. In the past ive always used flexwatt in various size and wattages.

I think my game plan for this cage is: 3ft of 21" flexwatt 40w under one side of the cage, plus a radiant heat panel.

Im having trouble deciding between Pro Products and RBI. For the most part everyone has good things to say about both. I talked to Bob at ProProducts and he recommended a Pro Heat model PH-125, 375 BTU/h, 110 watt, 15" x 24" x 1" radiant panel, and I talked to Reptile Basics and they recommended at least the 120W if not the 160W.

Does my game plan for this cage seem to be spot on? Does anyone have and advice or recommendations on my configuration?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-11-15, 07:38 PM   #2
IW17

Re: Propper heating for Animal Plastics T25 and retic

I use a rbi 120w in my 6x2x2. My room temps are around 70 and this does just fine on its own. Hot spot is around 90 and cool side is 79.
Old 12-12-15, 06:22 PM   #3
mike22ca

Oh really? So I should be able to get away with just the RHP alone then? Do you have it mounted more towards one side of the cage vs the other (hot spot gradual temp gradient to the cool spot)?
Old 12-13-15, 07:18 PM   #4
IW17

I would think so. I live in Ohio which gets considerably colder than central California. I mounted mine on the left side and put a log in the enclosure to bask on. The substrate on the hot side is 86, the log is 92, and the cool side stays 79-81. Another thing to consider with thick plastic enclosures is unless you use newspaper substrate, in my experience, the heat won't penetrate well.
Old 12-16-15, 01:32 AM   #5
mike22ca

Well I went ahead and ordered the RBI 160w panel. I figured it was only slightly more than the 120w so might as well roll with it. So it's on it's way to AP for install. Should I get a foot or 2 of flexwatt for hot spot? Of course these will both be controlled by a herpstat2.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-16-15, 07:44 PM   #6
IW17

I would wait. I doubt you'll need the heat tape. I'm using a 120w in a 24" tall cage, you just ordered a 160w for an 18" cage. I'd bet good money you won't need anything more.
Old 12-16-15, 10:26 PM   #7
mike22ca

Ok, will do. Thanks for the advice! I was having a hard time finding out exactly what I needed to know. I used my Google fu like a mofo but couldn't find a post that addressed my questions directly.
Old 12-17-15, 08:22 PM   #8
IW17

No I understand. I was in your position not long ago. Couldn't find a thing by searching online. Finally just said screw it, and took a shot. As luck would have it, I guessed right. I'm a Google junkie, but sometimes even Google let's you down.
Old 01-08-16, 08:11 AM   #9
AZretic

When I lived in Utah I have a 6 ft cage to a retic and used the 120 watt panel and it did awesome. Even during winter with all the snow. I just had a cage built and have another panel coming Tuesday. I love heat panels for big cages
Old 01-11-16, 01:50 AM   #10
Sublimeballs

You'll be perfectly fine using just the rhp. I use heat panels on all my Retics with great success. I have an old neodesha(not a slant front) that's 5'7"x 30"x 18" that I heat perfectly with an 80 watt rbi rhp.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-12-16, 12:16 AM   #11
mike22ca

Great thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm excited... It's getting closer to delivery time
Old 02-11-16, 08:49 AM   #12
Wish

Have you got the cage yet? About to go through the same process. Wondering how heating went for you?
Old 02-12-16, 12:29 AM   #13
mike22ca

Hey Wish. Not yet... I've been meaning to call just haven't got around to it. One change I've made is in getting the optional center divider installed even though I have the full sized heat panel. I won't be able to use the full size panel AND the divider at the same time. When I initially purchased the cage i was just planning on the 1 retic, well now I have 3 lol. So I might just pull the big panel out and install a smaller one in each end. I can save the large panel for when any of them are big enough to warrant the whole cage. None of them are *for now* lol.
Old 02-12-16, 02:22 PM   #14
Wish

Sounds good Mike! I've been researching which cage to get for the last 6 months. (Im very indecisive lol) Think I made my mind up and will be going with the T25 from A.P. also. Planning on going with a 120 watt RHP. It gets a little chilly during the winter where I'm at. Curios if I should also get a few feet of heat tape. Let me know how it all goes once everything arrives for you.

I have 1 male Retic. He's about 10 months now and growing well! Kept him in a 30 gallon glass tank since birth. He's done quite well in it. Screen top, so I taped aluminum foil around the top to keep the humidity in. This cage I order will be for him. Plan on also getting the divider so he can stay on one side till he eventually needs the whole enclosure.
Old 02-13-16, 02:25 PM   #15
IW17

Is your retic a mainland? If so I wouldn't bother with the divider. It'll be worthless in a short time. These guys put on size ridiculously fast.
Closed Thread

Tags
animal plastics, cage, enclosure, retic, rhp