border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-15, 09:07 PM   #1
Biologygirl

Unhappy My baby hognose won't eat. Advice!

I've had my baby hognose for about a month now and she won't eat for me. She was a month old when I got her and the breeder said she ate pinkies. I'm extremely worried, so if anyone has advice on how to get her to eat I would be forever grateful.
Below is her set up and all the things I've currently tried doing to get her to eat as well as her behavior.

Tank: 10 galleon with a water dish and hidey places
Substrate: alfadry (she likes burrowing in it)
Lighting: 100W daylight bulb
Temp gradient: around 81-83 degrees Fahrenheit on the warm side and 70-75 on the cool.

Things I've tried:
1. Braining the pinkies
2. Cutting pinkies in half
3. Placing her in a small dark shoebox with substrate (allow her to acclimate for a day before offering pinky)
4. Scenting with tuna
5. Scenting with a frog
6. Offering a small cricket frog

Behavior:
She will sniff the pinkies but then just turns away and goes back to what she was doing. She hasn't lost hardly any weight and isn't lethargic at all. She burrows and also crawls all around the cage looking at the glass (it seems like she's trying to get out)

I'm a very worried snake mom. Please help me figure out why she won't eat.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-06-15, 11:57 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: My baby hognose won't eat. Advice!

You have jad her one month and tried all those things? Leave her alone for a week, maybe even 2. She won't starve, I promise. Then, take one pinkie amd just leave it in her tank for a day/night and don't even look at her.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 10-06-15, 12:16 PM   #3
Sylphie

She won't eat probably because of the winter. I talked to a lot of hognose breeders and it's common for these snakes to go off food because they normally would hibernate now. Just keep offering once in a week, check all your parametrs and don't stress her much. You can also try putting her in a smaller enclosure or RUB, as some of hoggies prefer smaller homes and big space is scarying them. But if you decide to move her to smaller enclosure then you should give her 2 weeks for acclimate, without handling, offering food etc. As long as she isn't losing a lot of weight it's okay and nothing to worry with this species.

Ps. You might want to change the bulb for something weaker, 100W is a lot of light and can stress her out too.

Last edited by Sylphie; 10-06-15 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-06-15, 12:23 PM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Yup. I have kne who hasn't eaten for about 2 months now...only one though. The others are good but stretching out. I'll probably feed them for another month or two before they all go on strike lol.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 10-07-15, 02:39 PM   #5
Biologygirl

My plan is just to offer her food once a week. I'm thinking that eventually she'll be hungry and eat. :/ thanks for the advice everyone
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
baby hognose, won't eat