border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-15, 09:08 AM   #1
Jrich

What does snake keeping say about us?

This question has come to mind a lot lately. What does snake keeping say about us? I've had managers, professors and strangers ask why in the heck I found snakes so interesting or "why would you wanna keep one of those things"?
I've mulled over countless answers because I don't want to just say "they're cool and easy to take of" or my favorite "because they come in pretty colors". HA!
A lot of your everyday people are genuinely creeped out that anyone would keep a snake in their home.
Here's a few ideas I've had:
-We like to give the misunderstood a chance
-We seek to understand what is much different than us
-We see value in things that are often overlooked or hated
-We appreciate the nature of the snake
This is just to name a few. Pleas contribute any that you can think of!
I've realized with a lot of people that mentioning you keep snakes can sometimes work to your disadvantage and I want to change that by offering a little insight.
What do you all think?
Old 08-16-15, 10:19 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: What does snake keeping say about us?

I'm not sure I know what snake keeping says about us in general or even me specifically. When people ask me why I keep snakes my generic answer is because they're quiet, odorless, solitary and super easy to care for. They're usually docile but they're still amongst nature's top predators. Not to mention theyre some of the most beautiful and amazing animals on the planet. I guess it says we have exquisite taste.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-16-15, 02:33 PM   #3
AlexCrazy

Talking Re: What does snake keeping say about us?

I just say i like EXTRA-ordinary things, have an eccentric taste, they are the most beautiful things iv ever saw, and to me they are the best pets in the world.. great eating schedule, no smell and the normal great stuff!
People see me as fearless and they cant believe wen i say im scared of something, like wen a big bug flies around i freak cos i cant stand there ruff feat (they say how come you keep a snake but freak about a bug).. ha ha and they also call me crazy.. (but that was not since i got the snake only.. it just made it worse, im kind of a Tom-girl so that is weird to them in the first place ha ha)
Cos i keep a snake, tarantula, hamster and love animals people always expect me to solve pet problems or weird animal stuff ha ha (there's a lizard Sandra! do something!)
if you don't want to give that answer im not quiet sure how to help you.. but i would not use most of the examples you gave.. to me they are not weird.. there one of the creations of nature.. part of this world.. there just not what you see everyday.. get what i mean.. i would not give an answer that paints them as weird..
I had never found having a snake give me a disadvantage.. it makes me happier and makes having people over more interesting.. and i don't think they look at your pet list to give you a job, unless you have a boss ho is allergic to cats.. ha ha

Last edited by AlexCrazy; 08-16-15 at 02:39 PM..
Old 08-16-15, 03:05 PM   #4
pinefamily

No smell? You guys haven't cleaned up after them recently, have you? Lol
Seriously though, that's a very good question. Not sure if I have an answer off the top of my head; probably need to mull over it, as you have. But yes, we have had all of those same responses. Interestingly, most adults are creeped out, but most kids are fascinated.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 08-16-15, 03:10 PM   #5
trailblazer295

Because we're just that cool. But really I just say I like them and think they are cool. I don't usually broadcast it either. Why do people keep dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs it birds?

Now the trick is finding a pretty girl that likes them to.
Old 08-16-15, 04:01 PM   #6
drumcrush

Because (I dont know about other people) but I can relate to them to a degree. I like to hide and stay isolated, I'm quiet, and (not to sound like a 14 yr. old) not many people understand me and my way of thinking.
Old 08-16-15, 04:08 PM   #7
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Dawww....dLdrum! Makes me wanna hug you XD

I'm kinda the same though. Tend to stay to myself and such.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 08-16-15, 06:33 PM   #8
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Dawww....dLdrum! Makes me wanna hug you XD

I'm kinda the same though. Tend to stay to myself and such.
lol yeah, i am extremely introverted.
Old 08-16-15, 06:43 PM   #9
Tiny Boidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
lol yeah, i am extremely introverted.
The story of my life...

I mean I don't need any more socialization when I have my snakes. I don't attend school dances, or clubs, or anything else that involves other people... The only exception is marching band, and that's just because I don't know a life without music

But as far as what snake keeping has to say about us, in general it's a pretty darn good thing. The reptile community tends to be very open-minded, and stubborn as heck to be frank. Most people here are also helpful and even nicer than neighbors, and while we do have a few bad apples that spoil the bunch, most people who get into reptiles get into it for the same reason: they care about these animals. And that's something that connects each and every one of us on this site, no matter how much experience you have (or lack thereof) or what your age is. I've never run into someone I just flat out didn't like on a reptile community page (not to say that it won't happen *knocks on wood*). I'm getting mushy and soul-searchy, but to sum it up I think we're a dang good crowd to be around
Old 08-16-15, 07:28 PM   #10
prairiepanda

Snake keeping says that I am too poor and/or too lazy to keep more expensive and/or time-consuming animals. Because everyone who knows me well knows that, if I could, I would have every animal. Alas I only have cheap & easy animals. (exception being the cat, who has owned me since I was 6)
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-18-15, 09:45 AM   #11
Wingbeats

Hah, my friends don't find it so unusual that I have a snake. I am a biologist and I'm definitely a science geek, so when I shared my snake with everyone on Facebook, they were all like "Of COURSE you got a snake. You would." Hahaha.

Every time I share more, everyone just goes "Oh there Dee goes, being a biology weirdo again." It's standard behavior for me now. I'm pretty predictable in that way, it seems!

I also have two cats, an aquarium of fish, and a whole collection of "science plants" (insect-eating plants and a sensitive plant). I adore my critters and weird science plants and everyone knows it <3
Old 08-18-15, 11:00 AM   #12
AlexCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinefamily View Post
No smell? You guys haven't cleaned up after them recently, have you?.
I did yesterday.. I never had a smell problem.. Haha
Old 08-18-15, 11:11 AM   #13
sirtalis

I've never had a smell problem. I keep my reptiles because i love nature. My cages are entirely naturalistic so its like a slice of the wild in my bedroom.
Old 08-18-15, 11:20 AM   #14
ManSlaughter33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtalis View Post
I've never had a smell problem. I keep my reptiles because i love nature. My cages are entirely naturalistic so its like a slice of the wild in my bedroom.
Get a cornsnake then tell me they dont smell LOL

It's not the snake that people question me about, it's the subject of HOW MANY...

and when I get a new one they go "ANOTHER ONE!?"

or "what if it escapes and kills someone"... my ball python falls off the couch... real killer
Old 08-18-15, 11:53 AM   #15
AlexCrazy

Lol.. The couch asassin.. Jajajajja
Closed Thread