border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-15, 12:45 PM   #1
Capt.jack

Questions about my Columbian red tail

I recently acquired a male Columbian red tail. I've read that they are very inquisitive and curious snakes, and that they like to try and escape often. My red tail is always looking for a way out thoough. I have only had him for 6 days but I figured he would give it a rest, I'm wondering if its because he is trying to find my female dumerils that I have in the aquarium not 6 inches away. Also I'm wondering if this could be the cause of the cage aggression he has. Never bitten but he watches my hand like a hawk when the cage is opened, and sitting in a striking position. Do I have to separate them or get them out of eyesight of eachother? Just extra info my dumerils doesn't really seem phased by my red tails arrival, hisses a little bit but still sweet and tame when I hold her.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-15, 10:13 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Questions about my Columbian red tail

He might not be comfortable in his surroundings, what is your set-up for him like?
Old 07-29-15, 12:58 PM   #3
SnoopySnake

Enclosure details? Temps, humidity, hides, etc. Have you been handling him a lot?
Old 08-04-15, 11:03 PM   #4
Capt.jack

His enclosure is a 140 gallon aqarium, bedding is reptibark, to be honest I have to get a gauge for the humidity, but its usually right around 70 in the room, I also dampen about 1/3 of the bedding with water ever day to 2 days. Cage temp usually stays between 80-90 on the hot side 75-80 on the cooler I know its a little cold but I'm waiting on heat tape I ordered in the mail. I have a few log hides and some branches for him to climb on and some fake greenery to hide under. Figured that would cover the basics and maybe a little more. He has settled down since I last posted but he didn't eat a few days ago. But I figured he is just being stubborn, I will try again in a day or 2
Old 08-04-15, 11:05 PM   #5
Capt.jack

His enclosure is a 140 gallon aqarium, bedding is reptibark, to be honest I have to get a gauge for the humidity, but its usually right around 70 in the room, I also dampen about 1/3 of the bedding with water ever day to 2 days. Cage temp usually stays between 80-90 on the hot side 75-80 on the cooler I know its a little cold but I'm waiting on heat tape I ordered in the mail. I have a few log hides and some branches for him to climb on and some fake greenery to hide under. Figured that would cover the basics and maybe a little more. He has settled down since I last posted but he didn't eat a few days ago. But I figured he is just being stubborn, I will try again in a day or 2. Oh and I try to handle him 1 time, for about 10-15 minutes a day but sometimes I like to let him have his alone time.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
helpful herp tips, information, red tail boa