border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-15, 02:27 PM   #1
prairiepanda

The internet needs more snow

I bought this girl from Port Credit Pets after much debating, and I'm glad I did! Why did I hesitate? Because there aren't any really good photos of snow pines online! Many many snow bulls, but barely any snow pines. I wasn't sure what to expect. So now that I have one, I want to show the world so that nobody else will hesitate before buying one! She's brand new, so I'm going to be leaving her alone for a while, but once she's settled in I'll be posting plenty of photos and videos!

Here are the photos PCPC sent me:

And my first photos, in sunlight:

(got a nice black pine to contrast her, but the internet already has plenty of black pine photos!)

I LOVE the purple saddles towards the tail!

And again with indoor lighting:

She's a squirmy spaz, but not the least bit defensive. The black one is more chill, but a bit huffy. They just arrived by plane this morning, though, so it's hard to judge whether those are personality traits or just stress reactions.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-11-15, 02:32 PM   #2
reptiledude987

Re: The internet needs more snow

Very nice pine! we have a thread for rare species already but you should start a rare morph thread with your new friend.
Old 03-11-15, 02:46 PM   #3
SnoopySnake

Nice! Really like the contrast between the two.
Old 03-12-15, 11:46 AM   #4
sharthun

Beautiful!!!!

Steve
Old 03-12-15, 05:39 PM   #5
prairiepanda

Here's a better shot of the black pine if anyone's curious:

I really hope she keeps that white bib on her chin, because it's adorable!

Both of them are just barely over 2ft. The black is only 81g, but likes to puff up to look bigger, and the snow is 93g. They were both active and comfortable today, so I gave them their first meal today! I decided to try rats on them, even though they've only ever had mice before, and they both ate like champs! Great feeding response.

Seems like I might be able to get started on handling them sooner than I expected! We'll see how they do in the next few days.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-15, 07:37 AM   #6
Sylphie

Wow, they are great, especially that snowy little princess
Old 03-14-15, 01:56 PM   #7
prairiepanda

Got them out for a bath and some more pics! The snow said no to the bath, as you can see, but the black one was clever and puffed himself full of air so she could float and relax on the surface.

The black one appears to be in shed(doesn't really show in the picture) but I didn't get any attitude from her whatsoever.

I'm amazed at how intelligent and inquisitive these guys are! Makes me feel like the milks and kings I've dealt with have all been dolts! Still love me some Lampropeltis though.
Old 03-14-15, 02:15 PM   #8
Sylphie

Great pics and cool snakes How big will they be?
Old 03-14-15, 02:39 PM   #9
prairiepanda

Since they're both female I'm expecting around 6ft. I've heard of them getting close to 7ft, but that seems to be a rare occurrence. They'll have some nice girth compared to other colubrids as well. They're at least 9 months younger than my honduran milk snake and already slightly thicker, despite being shorter than the hondo, so they'll be pretty beefy as adults.
Old 03-14-15, 02:57 PM   #10
Sylphie

Sounds a little like russian rats They are really cool looking, unfortunately in my country they are practically impossible to find so I can't buy one.
Old 03-14-15, 03:00 PM   #11
prairiepanda

I adore russian rats as well, but I can't get any because I'll be moving back to Alberta in a couple years, where they're illegal Not sure why they would be, but oh well...
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 03-14-15, 03:06 PM   #12
reptiledude987

I know theyre a SITIES species so you need the permit to have them imported across a border. But didnt think that any kings corns milks bulls rats or pines were actually illegal anywhere in Canada.
Old 03-14-15, 03:11 PM   #13
Sylphie

prairiepanda, yeah, law can be weird sometimes In Poland russians are just not "top popular", but you can easily buy them if you want... on the other hand all the bull, pine, mbk or other "american" snakes are really rare or just impossible to find :<
Old 03-14-15, 03:19 PM   #14
reptiledude987

Ya its similar here theres some thing that are popular in other countries but are rarer here IE. diamond carpets are popular in Aus and europe but if youre able to find them here they're quite expensive. Last ones I found were $1800 for a pair.
Old 03-14-15, 03:24 PM   #15
Sylphie

reptiledude987 wow, that's really a "nice" price... Maybe we should create an international trade system, and find>buy>ship snakes to each others

prairiepanda you just must promise that you will be posting plenty of photos for me so I at least can watch pines
Closed Thread

Tags
black, pine, pinesnake, pituophis, snow