sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-15, 08:02 PM   #1
ReticulatedGuy

Breeding with Relation to Pattern?

Hey everyone.

I'm new to this forum so a little about me.

I'm a senior at the University of Kentucky in Animal Sciences (Pre-vet)

I own a Female Purple Albino Goldenchild Reticulated Python, a Blue Tree Monitor and a roughly 13 year old Leopard Gecko. (First reptile)

Anyways, I have a question with regards to heritable traits. I wanted to breed my Purple Albino Goldenchild Female to a Sunfire Goldenchild Male and was curious as to what experiences everyone has had with pattern in relation to parents. I wanted to acquire a beautiful female Sunfire Purple Albino Goldenchild and my females pattern is beautiful, however the male that I have been looking at's pattern is next to none.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-10-15, 06:54 AM   #2
HP4

Re: Breeding with Relation to Pattern?

Use the genetic wizard on the world of retics site. it will also tell you the percentages of each clutch as how many will be a certain morph.
Old 03-10-15, 08:32 AM   #3
themeyers

I think what you are talking about is called line breeding and if you started off with two good choices for patterns and continued that course you would see a difference but from my understanding one generation rarely if ever gets the results I think you are looking for. there are many examples of line breeding in colubrids and lizards, not that I can think of any off hand but it is a thing. if you feel that the pattern your girl has is that good then look for one that is close looking and don't settle. please let me know if that helps any.
Old 03-10-15, 11:57 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4 View Post
Use the genetic wizard on the world of retics site. it will also tell you the percentages of each clutch as how many will be a certain morph.
This makes no sense to what the original question is.

As stated, it's about "line" breeding. Which is a real simple way of saying polygenetic traits.

As suggested, you'd probably get some babies that look similar to the patterns but not quite. You're mixing two extremes together in your current pairing. If you'd like a chance(no guarantees) at a richer pattern then it would be best to find another male with something closer to that of the female.
Old 03-10-15, 11:18 PM   #5
ReticulatedGuy

Hey guys,

Great answers and use of terminology! Im glad to have two answers that are consistent with one another. Ill definitely keep my eye out for a male of equal beauty.

Thanks again for everyone's response!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-13-15, 08:09 PM   #6
millertime89
Forum Moderator

When breeding babies typically fall on a bell curve. Most animals will look like an average of the two adults with fewer falling on the higher quality side and fewer on the lower side. Also know that the animals can undergo pattern and coloration changes as they age so it can be tough to predict. Goldenchilds are harder than most. Mine had no rosettes when she hatched and has developed a few small ones in the last two years.
Closed Thread

Tags
breeding, python, reticulated, snake