border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-14, 03:27 AM   #1
kiiarah

Smile What got you into the hobby?

I came across a post on another site about how addictive snake keeping can be and it got me thinking. I am curious how others got into the hobby. Were you just born loving reptiles? Was there a specific event that got you into snake keeping? I would love to hear how others were introduced to snakes in general and what hooked you.

I didn't always love snakes, but never disliked them either. I had a rough green snake when I was younger but wasn't obsessed with snakes in general at that point. I was always drawn to ball pythons, just based on what I had read about their temperament and their overall appearance. They just look like gentle, beautiful snakes. I always wrote them off as something I would just have to admire from afar. I tend to get attached to animals very easily (can't even bear to kill house spiders) so the idea of keeping a snake that eats rodents seemed impossible for me. I am not sure if I realized at the time that frozen rodents were an option, though I think even that would have seemed too upsetting. I do remember researching "snake sausages", just trying to find some way that it might work.

Skip forward about 10 years. I had been helping relocate wild snakes from my workplace and was trying to persuade a friend and co-worker that many snakes are really gentle and not the aggressive beasts people make them out to be. I had a ground snake at the hotel front desk that I was visiting with before releasing away from property and she actually wanted to hold him. At least with a tiny snake like that, she could see him as cute and gentle. Shortly after this we were at a petstore and managed to get one of the store employees to take out one of the baby ball pythons so she could see just how wonderful they are. At this point, I was still not even considering keeping one. I had never actually held one up until this point. The plan was to handle one so she could see how non-threatening they are, hopefully make a "believer" out of her, and return to life as usual. The moment that little guy was curled up in my hand everything changed. For the rest of the day I kept telling my husband that we needed to get one. He didn't really take me seriously and I really didn't think I would do it, but I just couldn't shake the idea. The next day I started researching breeders, still thinking I was just curious about prices and availability....certainly not planning on acting on it. I emailed a breeder (again just out of "curiosity"), who I heard back from the following morning. By that afternoon my little one was on hold. I was really amazed by how instantly actually handling one of these guys changed everything for me. I went from believing I wouldn't be able to handle their care to being willing to move mountains to make it happen in the blink of an eye.

And here is a pic of one of the best decisions I have ever made.

As a hatchling:

And now:

Login to remove ads
Old 11-06-14, 05:00 AM   #2
Primal Rage

Re: What got you into the hobby?

Nice pics! Thank you for sharing. Dinosaurs are what got me into reptiles. I was obsessed with T Rex, and triceratops!! Velociraptor gave me nightmares after reading Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. Lol... I think my passion for reptiles evolved from my obsession with dinosaurs.
Old 11-06-14, 05:37 AM   #3
Lefitte

Beautiful!

I've always loved snakes for as long as I can remember. Being a huge animal lover, I never passed up an opportunity to learn about animals or pet one. One day when I was around kindergarten age, a friend of my sister's was walking around the apartment complex where we lived with her snake draped over her shoulders. I'm guessing it was probably a ball or a boa of some sort from what I can remember of it. It was too big for a little kid to hold but she let me pet it and I thought that it was the coolest thing ever. Then in 1st or 2nd grade, my teacher brought a rattlesnake skin [or shed? Hard to remember] to class to teach us about rattlesnakes. He taught us to be careful, to listen for the rattle, why it rattles, and how to avoid them without fearing them. Again, coolest thing ever.

Couple that with a long running joke in my family about me being a snake and being born in the year of the Snake, I've always loved them. I had researched about their care at different points and knew the frozen/thawed food was a great option for me but I still had some misconceptions. I actually thought you microwaved them... Not sure where I got the idea but a good friend set me straight. After drooling over her Brazilian Rainbow Boas online for a few months and being set straight about what it took to keep one, I immediately dove into thorough research. Set my heart on a California kingsnake, budgeted and saved up some money, and about 3 months later I gave myself one of the best early birthday presents ever. My family is still a little uncomfortable when I take her out but even my mom got into the spirit of helping me pick out decor and other necessities. I'm 2 months in and loving it more all the time.

I thought I'd at least be queasy about the pinkies but my first feeding went about like this. "Oh, he lost a foot. Where'd your foot go, dude?" I still never found it...
Old 11-06-14, 08:27 AM   #4
SSSSnakes

I hated and was afraid of snakes as a child. As a teenager I wanted to get over my fear, so I got a snake. Started using that snake and other snakes to help others get over their debilitating fear of snakes. That is also how I got started doing snakes shows. I never really got into the "Hobby" of snakes. For me it was more of a mission, although I love keeping and caring for my snakes.
Old 11-06-14, 08:42 AM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Born to love this passion.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-06-14, 09:03 AM   #6
Jim Smith

My introduction to snakes was from my older brother when he brought home a Dekay snake one day. I was about 5 and he was 10 so I convinced him to take me snake hunting with him and he showed me where and how to look for snakes. From then on, snake hunting became a summer passion for me and I've been fascinated with them ever since (almost 60 years). I took a hiatus from snakes when my kids were young yet I never missed the opportunity to show them and teach them about snakes I would find in the yard or when we were out fishing or on "nature walks". Now get great pleasure from keeping snakes and learning more about them every day.
Old 11-06-14, 10:15 AM   #7
MM1

As a child, cat and dog allergies were prevalent in the family. So I was eventually able to convince the parents on the snake while my sister ended up with 6 year old goldfish. But for myself, I've always found reptiles in general fascinating. Can't pinpoint a specific reason or experience to explain that. If I had room, space and money, I'd have representatives of each reptile group (even a tuatara, lol) as pets and probably try to take care of a few orphans as well.
Old 11-06-14, 10:50 AM   #8
Georgia

As a child...age about 3 i looked at books about snakes. My mother got me a ribbon snake and i caught garter snakes all through my childhood. Some of my earliest memories involve snake books and chasing them. I always took to vipers as a child and told my grandmother that i am getting a Bushmaster lol. My mother and grandmother never really liked snakes but would read snake books to me all the time. I had a major addiction to snakes since i was very young.

I love all animals, the outdoors, and bugs... always have. When i look at my snakes and take care of them it gives me peace. A sense of calmness. Its hard to explain what it does for me. So yeah, im 28. Been into snakes for 25 years.
Old 11-06-14, 10:57 AM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I've always thought snakes were beautiful and fascinating creatures. I was also born in the year of the snake I used to keep BP's in my mid 20's (the early 90's) because I thought it was cool but my knowledge of husbandry was almost non-existent. I still did OK with just a screened top tank, a water bowl, and a heat rock. I had one escapee that was never found and another that I had to rehome when I moved. Then it was all parties and wild times for a few years. Fast forward to Feb. 2013. My then 3 year old son wanted a blue lizard for his first pet. The family and I were at the craft store and there just happened to be a Petsmart next door. My son and I go over to look at the animals and search for the magical blue lizard. Of course the snakes are right next to the lizards and once my eyes caught hold of the stunning Cal King in the 10 gallon tank it was a wrap. It was easy convincing my son that the snake was a better choice than than the lizard but my girlfriend wasn't having it. We left the store and I wrestled with myself, and the little lady, for about 10 minutes in the parking lot before finally getting "permission" and taking the leap of faith. I can definitely say my life changed a bit for the better that day. I reignited a dormant passion and I haven't looked back since. I've added three more critters since then and I'm certain I'll keep snakes as long as I'm healthy enough to do so. They've added a lot of joy to my life and keeping them brings me a little more peace.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 11-06-14, 11:06 AM   #10
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
I've always thought snakes were beautiful and fascinating creatures. I was also born in the year of the snake I used to keep BP's in my mid 20's (the early 90's) because I thought it was cool but my knowledge of husbandry was almost non-existent. I still did OK with just a screened top tank, a water bowl, and a heat rock. I had one escapee that was never found and another that I had to rehome when I moved. Then it was all parties and wild times for a few years. Fast forward to Feb. 2013. My then 3 year old son wanted a blue lizard for his first pet. The family and I were at the craft store and there just happened to be a Petsmart next door. My son and I go over to look at the animals and search for the magical blue lizard. Of course the snakes are right next to the lizards and once my eyes caught hold of the stunning Cal King in the 10 gallon tank it was a wrap. It was easy convincing my son that the snake was a better choice than than the lizard but my girlfriend wasn't having it. We left the store and I wrestled with myself, and the little lady, for about 10 minutes in the parking lot before finally getting "permission" and taking the leap of faith. I can definitely say my life changed a bit for the better that day. I reignited a dormant passion and I haven't looked back since. I've added three more critters since then and I'm certain I'll keep snakes as long as I'm healthy enough to do so. They've added a lot of joy to my life and keeping them brings me a little more peace.
Its the same for me... I honestly cant see myself without my snakes.
Old 11-06-14, 11:43 AM   #11
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Its the same for me... I honestly cant see myself without my snakes.
I agree!! Like, Aaron, I was born with the passion! I couldn't relax without them!

Steve
Old 11-06-14, 11:59 AM   #12
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
When i look at my snakes and take care of them it gives me peace. A sense of calmness. Its hard to explain what it does for me.
Exactly. They are my escape from the real world. Even though most of my collection could kill me, they bring a calmness to my hectic world.
Old 11-06-14, 12:30 PM   #13
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

I was about 8 and always loved reptiles (mainly dinosaurs up to that point), after a lot of research i decided i wanted a snake. I presented this thought to my parents, showing all my gained knowledge and all my reasons for wanting one. They thought i was able to care for one and agreed, and i went looking for a snake. I bought a well established adult (unknown age, at least 8 y/o) Nicaraguan boa, with a great disposition. He is really what got my hobby started, many many snakes followed him, he ended up being with me for 15 more years before dying of old age.

I dug up the first (digital), and last picture i ever took of him. Thx for the memories little guy!

Old 11-06-14, 01:04 PM   #14
kiiarah

What great stories. ^_^ I love how many people mentioned how calming they can be. There have been so many times recently that I have come home exhausted, stressed from work, and just ready to snap at anyone that so much as looks at me, but after a few minutes of handling Shesha all of that just fades away. I joke with my husband that if he has ever done anything that will make me mad, he should tell me when Shesha is out, because I will be too happy and at peace to even care. There is just something about them that lifts you out of the everyday problems and makes it all seem trivial by comparison.

I had never really made the connection until just now, but I suppose when I look back on it I have always been drawn to unusual animals. As a little girl, I had rats and cats and birds and the usual stuff but I was obsessed with insects too. I had a fish tank in the living room with pet grasshoppers, many of which were so tame that I would regularly hold them in the living room. None ever escaped.

I was so sure that the feeding would be difficult. I was even concerned about feeding mealworms to my salamander. I was so sure I would feel guilty that I had my husband agree to feed him for me. Interesting trivia: My husband has never fed our salamander lol. The rats have been a non-issue mainly because I love him so much it doesn't really cross my mind. It does sometimes occur to me that I would never have thought a year ago that I would be keeping rats in my freezer and checking head temps on my wrist like baby formula. I can relate to the "where did your foot go?" sentiment. I had a missing rat for a short while recently. I made the mistake of setting down the feeding box with the rat still in it after Shesha refused to eat early on. When I came back to throw the rat away it was gone, and it suddenly dawned on me that I have to cats. My friend came in to find me frantically searching under the bed, in the blankets, just everywhere. I was forced to admit that I had a missing dead rodent somewhere in the house, and she mentioned that she saw something wierd lying in the living room. Thank god it turned out to be the M.I.A rat and nothing wound up being hidden and left rotting in the house. Lesson learned. Every day is an adventure with these guys.
Old 11-06-14, 02:51 PM   #15
Cmwells90

I got my first snake when I was 12, it was a Ball Python, and I got it because one of my friends had one, but I was scared, so very scared of them that I didn't want anything to do with them, I got into psychology around that time and remembered a study where people would face their fears and become better for it, so I bought a snake, and forced myself to get over this unknown and illogical fear I had, I loved the feeding times, always feed F/T but I usually had good eaters too, so I got the full effect. I lost him (Yin) When my daughter was born and I lost control of time and couldn't look after him as I should have, so I gave him to another keeper so he wouldn't suffer. Then I moved out on my own again after my divorce (Ex-wife hated snakes) and started it all up again, now I'm back to having 3 snakes and it is steadily growing!
Closed Thread

Tags
first snake