border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-14, 07:45 PM   #1
Knightcliffe

Question New ball python is always hiding.

So I just got a 1 yr old ball python a week ago, my first snake and he has spent all of his time hiding curled up in this little hideyspot (Bought some "dino eggs" from a petland) and he hasn't eaten anything. he seems to be ok with being handled and will look around the tank a little bit after holding him for a couple hours but spends more than 95% of his time hiding... So I am just wondering if this is normal or not.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-23-14, 09:16 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: New ball python is always hiding.

Welcome and best wishes knight. Many new snakes are shy in the beginning. I'd say it took my snakes about a month or two before they were comfortably roaming their enclosures. I also like to get at least 2 feeds in before handling new arrivals. Good luck with your BP.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-23-14, 11:33 PM   #3
Navigator82

also check the temperature and humidity in his enclosure
Old 09-24-14, 01:22 PM   #4
kiiarah

You should of course confirm that temps and humidity are correct. Lots of good threads here on proper levels, but it is true also that some snakes just take a bit longer to feel comfortable. Another thing to consider is that bps are crepuscular, meaning that they are most active at dawn and dusk. If by chance you are working at dusk and asleep at dawn he may well be out during those times and and you just aren't seeing him. Still though, it is entirely possible that he really does hide that much. In the wild, bps will spend the vast majority of their time in rodent burrows, sometimes even waiting for prey to wander too close to the entrance. The main thing you want to rule out is that yours temps and humidity are right because you don't want him to be limited to one comfortable area of the tank, but if everything else is in order it sounds like pretty normal behavior.
Old 09-24-14, 06:37 PM   #5
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightcliffe View Post
So I just got a 1 yr old ball python a week ago, my first snake and he has spent all of his time hiding curled up in this little hideyspot (Bought some "dino eggs" from a petland) and he hasn't eaten anything. he seems to be ok with being handled and will look around the tank a little bit after holding him for a couple hours but spends more than 95% of his time hiding... So I am just wondering if this is normal or not.
stop handling the snake until it starts eating regular (3 or 4 feeds in a row)

let it settle in and feel secure,only go near it to change its water

offer it prey as its getting dark (once every 7 to 10 days)

make sure it has plenty hides,fake plants,etc,to give it hiding places and again to help make it feel secure

cheers shaun
Old 09-24-14, 11:26 PM   #6
Knightcliffe

thanks everyone
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, hiding, new ball python, not eating