border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-14, 07:52 PM   #1
PsychoSnake

My Little Murderess Isn't Eating...

I have a female rosy boa that is exceptionally skilled at killing mice, but she doesn't seem interested in eating them afterwards. She constricts, then just leaves them.

She hasn't eaten in two weeks, but I know she's cleaned out (I keep track of when she, um, evacuates). I have had her for a little over a month and she is my first snake. She went the first two weeks without eating, then ate two mice without any problem. Now it's been another full two weeks without food. Before I bought her from the local pet store, they told me she was a good eater and ate every week so I'm at a loss at what I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Ambient/Cool Temperature: 82 F (morning) / 86 F (late afternoon)
Hot Spot: 92 F
Humidity: 40%
Login to remove ads
Old 07-20-14, 10:04 PM   #2
PsychoSnake

Re: My Little Murderess Isn't Eating...

Well it's now been three weeks since she's last eaten and she's driving me crazy! She's such a tease!

So she's still quick to constrict, she's spends quite awhile smelling it now and seems interested, and she has even started to put the mouse into her mouth... Then she drops and leaves it and is all like, "Nahh... I'm not hungry."

Gahhhhh!!!!!!
Old 07-20-14, 10:38 PM   #3
SuperSleuth

She sounds like she may be a shy eater. I'd leave it in there overnight (not a live one of course!) and see if she'll eat without you watching her. I have a brb like that, she's a voracious eater but hates an audience.
Old 07-24-14, 02:14 PM   #4
PsychoSnake

Good tip. She finally ate a live mouse yesterday, but didn't eat the F/T mouse I offered (constricted then ignored it). She is not used to eating F/T. The family who had her before only fed her live, but I've found she'll refuse live too.

I think she could stand to gain a little weight but otherwise she seems healthy.
Closed Thread

Tags
rosy boa