border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-14, 09:04 AM   #1
BoaBoy91

Question Defanged Cobra???

Hey i just wanted to know if this was a defanged cobra. I know he is wearing the protective gloves but it just seems too easy. so let me know what is up with this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4DQ8q-nVc
Old 05-27-14, 09:17 AM   #2
jpsteele80

Re: Defanged Cobra???

My guess would be yes, those gloves don't look anywhere thick enough to stop a hypodermic needle which is what fangs basically are, and he didn't look to concerned when it started biting the gloove
Old 05-27-14, 09:28 AM   #3
LiL Zap

He seemed a little to reckless to me so I'm gonna have to agree with the poster above me and say yes. When it comes to handling hots, you gotta respect the power they have and this guy kinda seemed like he didn't have a worry in the world.
Old 05-27-14, 11:42 AM   #4
Jim Smith

Either a defanged cobra or a debrained handler. Anyone who handles hots that carelessly, will eventually get bitten perhaps fatally.
Old 05-27-14, 01:02 PM   #5
MDT

You cannot "defang" a venomous snake. They have replacement fangs that readily move into place to replace to lost fang. There are venomous snakes that have had their venom glands surgically removed. They are called "venomoids". Personally, I think it's a ridiculous and cruel procedure, but hey, that's just me. If we are lucky enough, maybe this thread will be Hosered, and he can extol the virtues of such a procedure.

Check out these gloves...these look to be what he is wearing.
Animal Glove
Login to remove ads
Old 05-27-14, 01:02 PM   #6
Sublimeballs

^^^^ ding ding ding we have a winner.

It's bad enough that good hot keepers get tagged eventually, but people like this are the statistics.
Old 05-27-14, 04:27 PM   #7
Sublimeballs

And I agree completley that venomoids are WRONG. If you're not capable of keeping venomous snakes, accept it. Don't buy a snake that has had its head cut open, venom glands cut out, replacement "gland" implant out back in, sewn back up and hopes it makes it through.
Also, to my understanding, the venom glands have regenerated in some rare cases. So, your neat venom free cobra could end up a born again hot.

After watching the video again I think this is in fact a perfectly deadly cobra. And that he is wwwwaaaYyyyyyy to confident with these animals and it isn't going to end well.
Old 05-27-14, 06:03 PM   #8
SSSSnakes

The snake is not defanged or a venomiod. The gloves are not animal gloves as was posted above. They are Hex Armour gloves or as they are called in the UK Venom Defenders. They can and will take a bite from a King Cobra. They are not 100% guaranteed, but they do work. If you never have handled a Cobra it may appear what he was doing was careless and dangerous, but he knows his snake and techniques that work. I handle Cobras every day and use similar techniques. I don't allow my cobras on the ground as he did, but I do handle them and use the same gloves that he was using. The gloves should be used only as a secondary safety encase the snake bites you, not to allow the snake to bite you. Grace Willyt a famous King Snake handler used the open hand method to keep her Cobras at bay.

I am a profession Hot handler and I also agree venomoids are wrong.
Old 05-27-14, 07:26 PM   #9
MDT

I'm glad you jumped in Jerry.. I was hoping you or one of the other "hots" keepers could shed some light here. I wasn't certain about the gloves. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-28-14, 05:12 AM   #10
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
I'm glad you jumped in Jerry.. I was hoping you or one of the other "hots" keepers could shed some light here. I wasn't certain about the gloves. Thanks for the info!
The company that you showed the gloves from, Midwest (Tongs.com), no longer even sells the gloves used for venomous snakes. Hex Armour, who makes the gloves will not even talk to you if they know you want them for handling venomous snakes. They still can be purchased through some safety equipment companies in the US, but mostly they have to be ordered through UK companies. They are simply the highest rated needle stick gloves that you can buy.

I have used them for many years on venomous and non venomous snakes and never had a tooth get threw them. As I said I use them as a secondary safety with the venomous snakes and have had Rattlesnakes hit them with no issues. As for non venomous snakes, I have used them to calm down Rock Pythons and Retics, and let them strike and chew on them over and over without having a tooth coming threw the gloves ever. But they should never be used to carelessly handle snakes.

I must also add that if you are not trained to handle venomous snakes and have never done so, that some of the techniques that are used may look careless, but in fact, are as safe as can be, when dealing with venomous snakes. Keep in mind that when dealing with venomous snakes, large constrictors or any other kind of animals, (lions, bears, large monitors oir even horses) there ius always a risk involved.

But in my opinion, a life with no risks is not worth living. I'm a marries man, so I know about taking risks. LOL
Login to remove ads
Old 05-28-14, 09:03 AM   #11
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

these Cobras are NOT de fanged or hurt in any way,Luke that helped run the sanctuary was sadly bitten and died recently mate

imo the sanctuary does great work with their Cobras

cheers shaun
Old 05-28-14, 09:47 AM   #12
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

I have those gloves as well, and I can attest to their strength. I use them primarily as an extra layer of protection when hooking/tailing my hots, but I also use them when I have to force-feed or help shed a snake, and my gloves have taken a few viper bites. There's very little chance of a cobra, or other elapid, with their short fangs, getting through them. They are actually very thick, solid gloves. Like Jerry said, they are not 100% guaranteed, but they are designed for medical personnel who have to work with biohazard sharps, so they are pretty well-designed and solid. They are anywhere from $120-200 USD, depending on where you get them. In my opinion, they are one of the smartest and best purchases that anyone looking to keep venomous snakes can make, as they could very well be the difference between a scary night and a very expensive hospital bill/potential death!
Old 05-28-14, 10:53 AM   #13
Teal

I've never handled hots, but I didn't see anything - aside from a little too much taunting - that I considered wrong with his handling. You can't manhandle hots, I'd imagine.. So he was letting the snake win.
Old 05-28-14, 12:37 PM   #14
Jim Smith

I will freely admit that I do not handle hots, other than a couple of wild caught copperheads number of years ago. That said, my biggest concern with how he's handling the snake is when he's looking at the audience through the glass and not paying attention to the venomous snake that he has gripped 2+ feet behind the head. My understanding is that Cobras are smart snakes, especially King Cobras and taking your eyes off of the venomous snake your handling even for a second is a great way to get bitten. Just one person's opinion.
Old 05-28-14, 04:31 PM   #15
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
I will freely admit that I do not handle hots, other than a couple of wild caught copperheads number of years ago. That said, my biggest concern with how he's handling the snake is when he's looking at the audience through the glass and not paying attention to the venomous snake that he has gripped 2+ feet behind the head. My understanding is that Cobras are smart snakes, especially King Cobras and taking your eyes off of the venomous snake your handling even for a second is a great way to get bitten. Just one person's opinion.
You are correct. You never take your eyes off of a venomous snake that you are holding, that could be a dangerous mistake. It is something you have to keep in your mind sat all times when performing with a venomous snake, you have to ignor the audience.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread