border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Pogona Vitticeps

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-14, 01:32 PM   #1
riley2012

how long can a bearded dragon stay out of her terrarium?

Hi.

I have a female bearded dragon, Riley, who is about 1 year and three quarters old.

Riley brumated for close to 3 months. She came out of brumation a week ago, and has been very active since then.

She seems to want to come out of her terrarium frequently. I think that's what she wants, because she bumps against the glass, and when I take her out, she's not stressed and is very active.

I have a safe environment where I can monitor her, and she can run around in a large, open space.

How long can I keep Riley out? The temperature in my home is 72 degrees. How long can she safely stay out in the relatively cold temperature? Also, is it ok to take her out multiple times per day, giving her time to warm up in her terrarium in between?

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-08-14, 04:59 PM   #2
murrindindi

Re: how long can a bearded dragon stay out of her terrarium?

Hi, they lose heat quite quickly (being very small animals), so I would say only for 10 minutes or so.
Has the dragon been gravid and if yes, where were the eggs deposited?
Old 05-08-14, 08:45 PM   #3
riley2012

Murrindini,

Thanks for your response. I don't know if she's gravid. What signs should I look for?

She wants to explore outside more than usual. Apart from that, nothing is unusual. Her appetite is normal. I don't feel bumps. She doesn't appear to have gained weight or look larger than usual.

Her terrarium does not have a sandy substrate: it has a soft shelf liner. Is it important that she be in a sandy environment in case she is gravid? Would it be a good idea to move her into a tub filled with sand, with a warm light above, for a few hours a day?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-14, 08:19 AM   #4
NewHerp293

So ive been wondering this for a long time. I have a friend with an adult bearded dragon who is almost never in its cage
And i mean literally almost never. This thing goes to class with her, goes out with her, is always in her shirt or on her shoulder and even sleeps in her bed most of the time always snuggled up for warmth. The dragon doesnt seem stressed or upset at all and will readily go to sleep on her shoulder anywhere. It doesnt try to get away or escape but just appears to always be chillin.

1.0 Leopard Gecko 0.1 Rosy Boa 0.0.1 Western Painted Turtle
Old 10-01-14, 09:48 AM   #5
Pirarucu

If that is the case then "chilling" is an apt choice of words...
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
play time, temperature