border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-14, 03:44 PM   #1
PearlLove

Red face how much do you interact with your snakes?

Hello,
This is my first official post, don't judge too hard!

I have recently acquired my second snake ever, my first was a corn when I was 8.

He is a Pearl Island Boa and I love him to bits!
But is there such thing as too much love?
I hold him and let him chill on me for a good chunk of the day (anyhwere from 4 to 7 hours). But just today, a thought crossed my mind..

If you hold your snake all day in a room that is about 70 degrees and pretty humid (Because of all the other pets) would it be okay to hold him for so long?
He isn't in any sort of distress, loves coming out, and hates going back in.

I just worry!
Please share any info you have on the topic, or maybe a past experence I can draw from.
Thank you all for your time!
Have a great day!!!!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-14, 12:05 AM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: how much do you interact with your snakes?

I'm not sure what the definition of excessive handling is but you don't want to stress your snake out too much . I'm sure some of them tolerate handling better than others but I believe they would 'prefer' to be left alone more often than not. I personally don't handle my snakes very much. Maybe 10 minutes at a time about 3 times a week and that's mostly just to keep them somewhat tame. I enjoy watching and feeding them more than handling them. Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your new boa.
Old 01-04-14, 12:57 AM   #3
CosmicOwl

Snakes don't enjoy being handled.They don't form those kinds of emotional connections. At best, they tolerate it because they recognize that you aren't a threat. Plus, maybe they get to do some climbing and exploring. Occasionally you get a snake that is curious and comfortable around you to the point that they may actively come to you. However, it's likely that they just associate you with a chance to be outside of their enclosure. They're also the exception to the rule.

Put yourself in their position. Imagine you're minding your own business, when a strange giant pulls you out of your house and starts playing with you. Now imagine you're also naked and you think they're going to eat you. If it happened enough, you might eventually get used to it, but you'd never enjoy it.
Old 01-04-14, 03:13 AM   #4
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

70°f is way to cold for your boa to be out in all day.
Old 01-04-14, 08:49 AM   #5
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post
Snakes don't enjoy being handled.They don't form those kinds of emotional connections. At best, they tolerate it because they recognize that you aren't a threat. Plus, maybe they get to do some climbing and exploring. Occasionally you get a snake that is curious and comfortable around you to the point that they may actively come to you. However, it's likely that they just associate you with a chance to be outside of their enclosure. They're also the exception to the rule.

Put yourself in their position. Imagine you're minding your own business, when a strange giant pulls you out of your house and starts playing with you. Now imagine you're also naked and you think they're going to eat you. If it happened enough, you might eventually get used to it, but you'd never enjoy it.
This....x1,000,000
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-14, 08:57 AM   #6
lpbldg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOwl View Post

That's a very true point!
I think it depends on the snake/mood they are in also.
Sometimes it a pain in the to get my snakes out. My mex milksnake actually will nudge at you when she doesn't wanna be bothered.
And other times they come right out, it gives them time to stretch out and explore a bit more.
The longer you have snakes, the better you can read these signs if they want to come out or not.
If it doesn't wanna be out or is hiding/sleeping, just leave it alone and let it be
Old 01-04-14, 09:29 AM   #7
SSSSnakes

I only handle my snakes when I have to. Cleaning their enclosures or shows. Other than that I leave them alone.
Old 01-04-14, 09:31 AM   #8
Starbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
I only handle my snakes when I have to. Cleaning their enclosures or shows. Other than that I leave them alone.
same (though none of mine are venomous). I have not noticed any adverse effect on overall 'tameness'. When i had just 1-2 snakes, i would take them out frequently, but now that i have more and am in school, i only take them out maybe once/month or so. The ones that were always a pleasure to handle are still a pleasure, and the ones that were nervous/jerks are still nervous/jerks (though they settle down eventually).
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 01-04-14, 03:32 PM   #9
formica

to say that a snake thinks that a human offers the chance to escape its enclosure, imo is assigning far more cognitive awareness/capacity, to a snake, than saying that it enjoys basking or interacting with a human simply for the warmth, for which they receive a dopamine reward, which induces pleasure, for eg.

keeping a snake at 70f however, esp a tropical species, is not going to do it any good at all - that said, the human body is a toasty 36-37C (~97f), which is a high temp even for a bci

personally I dont think its a good thing, snakes do not need, and will not do well, at constantly high temps, or constantly low temps, they need to choose the temperatures they need for themselves, which they may not be able to do if you are restricting their movements
Old 01-06-14, 01:59 PM   #10
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
70°f is way to cold for your boa to be out in all day.
^^^^^
this

cheers shaun
Old 01-06-14, 02:02 PM   #11
sharthun

I handle my snakes daily. Exception being after feeding.

Steve
Old 01-06-14, 02:08 PM   #12
Danimal

Add my vote to minimized handling.
Old 01-06-14, 07:14 PM   #13
LiL Zap

I hold my snake every couple of days or whenever I go to the pet store.
Old 01-06-14, 07:58 PM   #14
Sharlynn93

I alternate...since I have 6, I will hold 1 or 2 each night...sometimes just a few minutes sometimes longer depending on whether the snake seems to be enjoying outside time....so all in all each one gets handled about twice a week...

Whatever you condemn, you have done yourself. ~Georg Groddeck
Old 01-06-14, 08:08 PM   #15
MM1

Maybe once a month. In the summer when the temperature and humidity is more friendly in the room containing the enclosure, I will allow some supervised exploration outside the enclosure. Once in awhile, my Haitian Boa, if he's in a curious mood, will actually crawl out and onto my arm when I replace his water. Usually though, I get some tongue flicks and maybe a light brush and then he just goes about his business. I kind of like this balance where the animal appears to be somewhat relaxed and trusting of you but still prefers the environment you have constructed for it. On the rare occasion he is out for any length of time, he readily slithers back into the enclosure when I open the door up.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
boa, care, handling, pet, snake