border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-13, 05:40 PM   #1
hunter4life

Red Tail Boa Help!!!

So I'm so pissed! The.boa I purchased today.not.only is INVESTED with.mites, but it has a contusion! I'm thinking of taking her to the vet tomorrow maybe to.have her checked (its an exotic vet and I called and.they have delt with snakes) do you guys have any.clue what it could be or the cause? She's super friendly and beautiful I don't want to give up on her or give it back to the neglectful owner! Don't worry she is being.soaked and quarentined in a tank in another room
Login to remove ads
Old 09-28-13, 05:49 PM   #2
hunter4life

Re: Red Tail Boa Help!!!

Here is a picture of her and her bump and contusion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-28_18-40-47_509.jpg (24.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-28-13, 05:51 PM   #3
hunter4life

And the other side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-28_18-40-56_609.jpg (22.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-28-13, 05:53 PM   #4
Starbuck

For mites I'd just follow directions from other threads on here, but I'ddef recommend a vet for the bump :-/ very weird. Can you describe ot a little bit more? Best of luck I hope you get things sorted!
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 09-28-13, 05:56 PM   #5
hunter4life

She's been soaking for a few hours, I put her in the tub and rubbed off a lot of the stuck dead mites and she is re soaking now. But yeah I'm thinking vet for her..it looks just bad. It's not hard, it's soft like if puss was in it? And then it's a bit discolured as the photo shows
Login to remove ads
Old 09-28-13, 06:00 PM   #6
Mikoh4792

Where did you get her from? Did you not ask for current pictures, or ask if she was healthy before purchasing her?
Old 09-28-13, 06:08 PM   #7
hunter4life

I did, she came from my coworker. He said she was healthy and that her mites came back, he said there were only a few but there were a lot! I'd seen pics and I didn't see that of her before, it's not really noticeable till I started taking the dead mites off.
Old 09-28-13, 06:16 PM   #8
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4life View Post
I did, she came from my coworker. He said she was healthy and that her mites came back, he said there were only a few but there were a lot! I'd seen pics and I didn't see that of her before, it's not really noticeable till I started taking the dead mites off.
I know it's in the past, but if I were taking in an animal from someone in close proximity to me I would have taken a good look in person first.
Old 09-28-13, 06:20 PM   #9
hunter4life

I know I mean I could take her back and get money back (I got her for $60) He says that in a shed or two it should go away. He said his boa has had something like that before and it goes away after a shed or so..I don't even know what it is. Should I at least have her evaluated by a vet? Cause that's what I want to do but don't want to spend $50 if I don't need to with the vet
Old 09-28-13, 07:22 PM   #10
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4life View Post
I know I mean I could take her back and get money back (I got her for $60) He says that in a shed or two it should go away. He said his boa has had something like that before and it goes away after a shed or so..I don't even know what it is. Should I at least have her evaluated by a vet? Cause that's what I want to do but don't want to spend $50 if I don't need to with the vet
I don't want to tell you what to do, but if it were me, I'd get a full refund. Why would a normal, healthy boa have a reoccurring contusion before each shed? That's not normal. Not only that... it came with mites.

Who knows what the owner's past is with this snake. Very shady.

EDIT: $60...If I were selling a healthy boa female at that size it would be for more than that.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-29-13, 04:21 AM   #11
snakeman879

Hi I would never sell my female full stop but if I ever had to it wouldent be for 60 I allsothink u should get your money back if you can and put it to a helthy snake. But if you want that one I would probably take her to the vet just to be saffe. All the best
Old 09-29-13, 04:58 AM   #12
formica

while i do agree that you have been ripped off - its clear to me that the person you got her from, has not got a clue, and the worst thing you can do for the snake is take her back to him and get your money back - that said you should discuss with the vet what her long term health needs may be, you dont want to end up spending thousands on vet bills, and it may not be the best thing for the snake either - if you can manage her yourself, then great, if not, find someone who can, just not her original owner!

personally I would take the vet bill to the original owner and ask them to cover it
Old 09-29-13, 06:37 AM   #13
hunter4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by formica View Post
while i do agree that you have been ripped off - its clear to me that the person you got her from, has not got a clue, and the worst thing you can do for the snake is take her back to him and get your money back - that said you should discuss with the vet what her long term health needs may be, you dont want to end up spending thousands on vet bills, and it may not be the best thing for the snake either - if you can manage her yourself, then great, if not, find someone who can, just not her original owner!

personally I would take the vet bill to the original owner and ask them to cover it
I'm going to ask for my money back and keep her. I'm going through the trouble to help her with mites and the vet so obviously I need the money and it seems this person only wants money. He sold her for so low because she had SOME mites (what my coworker told me) and because we are coworkers at BHB. She had two soakings yesterday for 3 hours each and was put in a tank in another room to keep away from my collection. I'm still debating wether to take her to my work and have her stay there and just get a new Boa at the Tinley show in two weeks or keep her and take her to the vet to be evaluated.
Old 09-29-13, 06:49 AM   #14
Starbuck

you work at BHB? and bought this snake from someone who works at BHB?

Are you just soaking her in water, or are you also using a mite treatment? She should REMAIN in a separate room and tank for a quarantine period of 3-9 MONTHS anyways, especially if she has mites and a mystery lesion.
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 09-29-13, 07:22 AM   #15
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Omg... seriously?!
Closed Thread

Tags
boa constrictor help, help/care with boa, mites, urgent