border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-13, 07:15 AM   #1
PCMinNeed

Exclamation Need help with an aggressive king snake

Hello all, I'm recently became a pet care manager at a pet store and am hoping that these forms can help me with some of my more advanced questions. So the current king snake I have in my care tends to strike most people who pick it up other than me. When I pick it up it will either crap and piss all over my hand or shake its tail like a rattler. Obviously this make the snake very hard to sell, so my question is is there a way I can make it less aggressive or if you guys have any other tips for me.

Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 08-31-13, 07:50 AM   #2
Mikoh4792

Re: Need help with an aggressive king snake

You can tame it down by handling it a few times a week. However since all snakes are different, it is not guaranteed to become handleable. Many nippy babies are just being defensive but some never grow out of it. For example my speckled baby has calmed down a lot to the point of showing no aggression, however my adult king is not handleable at all.
Old 08-31-13, 08:04 AM   #3
franks

Some calm down once they get a little bigger, but I would imagine that a bigger snake is more difficult to sell. Make sure it has a small secure hide, this will help its comfort level tremendously. Other than that, just try to handle it a few times a week in the hopes that it gets used to people. Many, many do, but some never really calm down.
Old 08-31-13, 08:19 AM   #4
PCMinNeed

Thanks for the replies. He is hiding pretty much all the time wither it be under his bowl, in the bedding, or under the log. Most of my associates are to scared to handle the king snake now which is a problem so i guess it will be up to me.
Old 08-31-13, 08:33 AM   #5
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMinNeed View Post
Thanks for the replies. He is hiding pretty much all the time wither it be under his bowl, in the bedding, or under the log. Most of my associates are to scared to handle the king snake now which is a problem so i guess it will be up to me.
You could always buy him lol.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-31-13, 09:02 AM   #6
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
You could always buy him lol.
I second this, as then after dealing with him at hone you'll be well prepared to help customers with the same issue
Old 08-31-13, 09:27 AM   #7
PCMinNeed

Ha yes that would be an easy way of going about it, granted my small apartment is kind of already at capacity with my 55 gal fish tank. But I might be able to make some room. At full size a 40 gallon long would be ideal yeah?
Old 08-31-13, 09:43 AM   #8
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMinNeed View Post
Ha yes that would be an easy way of going about it, granted my small apartment is kind of already at capacity with my 55 gal fish tank. But I might be able to make some room. At full size a 40 gallon long would be ideal yeah?
Yes it should. An adult will be fine in a 40gallon but I think a litte bigger would be better. My kings are very active would appreciate the extra space.
Old 08-31-13, 11:07 AM   #9
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

Those are all defensive behaviors. He is "afraid" of people for lack of a better term. He needs time to get used to his suroundings. Some take minutes to do this and others take weeks. Some are aleays nervous. Tryleaving him alone fir a couple weeks. When he starts to venture frin the hide then try handling. If your can buy him , great. If not I would put nfs on his tank for a bit and see what happens.
Old 08-31-13, 03:08 PM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Sounds like he wasn't handled much before you arrived and now he's become defensive. I believe the more he's handled the sooner he'll calm down. As others have said, some of them never grow out of it, but most do. Both of my kingsnakes were defensive and flighty when I first got them but they're super sweet now. I also agree with the other members that if you can you should get a snake of your own. Kings are beautiful, amazing snakes and relatively easy to care for. I will admit I'm a bit biased though. Best wishes in your new gig. This is a great forum for information on reptile care.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-01-13, 07:53 AM   #11
PCMinNeed

Thank you all, your information has been has been very helpful.
Old 09-01-13, 08:23 AM   #12
franks

I have used this method successfully before:
How To Handle aggressive snakes - YouTube
Old 09-01-13, 08:30 AM   #13
formica

regular handling is the key, be gentle, move slowly, and dont pull away when he strikes, just gently lift him out by his body and try your best to ignore any defensive actions, dont restrain him, just keep him on your arms/hands and free to move as he wants, do this just for a minute once or twice a day, increase the time a little as he becomes more relaxed
Old 09-01-13, 08:32 AM   #14
sharthun

Quote:
Originally Posted by franks View Post
I have used this method successfully before:
How To Handle aggressive snakes - YouTube
Great instructional video!

Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
aggressive, handling, help please, king snake